Old April 23rd 05, 07:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Google maps again

I note Google Maps correctly knows that the centre of the universe is
Crewe; however, it doesn't think it has a railway station, which is very
strange, since that's pretty much all it has.

I also note that it knows something about the channel tunnel that we
don't:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Farthingloe

(zoom out about 3 pegs)

Multimap disagrees, but does seem to know a quite unnecessary amount about
the route of the tunnel:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...ic&coordsys=gb

Google and Multimap both have a decidedly odd idea about the path of the
railway just outside Deal, too:

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.c...ic&coordsys=gb
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=West+Lea,+CT14

Has anyone figured out how to construct URLs pointing to a specific
location on a Google map, like the Multimap URLs above? The only stuff i
can find indicates that manipulating Google Maps involves hair-raising XML
and/or javascript.

tom

--
They Set Up Us The Revolution - Now We Have Set Up It Them Back

Old April 23rd 05, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 20:18:27 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Farthingloe

(zoom out about 3 pegs)

snip
Has anyone figured out how to construct URLs pointing to a specific
location on a Google map, like the Multimap URLs above? The only stuff i
can find indicates that manipulating Google Maps involves hair-raising XML
and/or javascript.

If it's any use you can link direct, ie with the zoom out included, by
using the "link to this page" link just under "Map - Satellite" on the
right hand side of the page. Link below is what it gives you. (just
copy url, and post that one)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Farthi...0.855541&hl=en

____________
A Computer is for life, not just for xmas!
____________
Old April 25th 05, 06:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 23:43:24 +0100,
The Slow Snail @___o
wrote in :

If it's any use you can link direct, ie with the zoom out included, by
using the "link to this page" link just under "Map - Satellite" on the
right hand side of the page. Link below is what it gives you. (just
copy url, and post that one)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Farthi...0.855541&hl=en

Seems you have to somehow "prime" it to show you're using the UK
version, or just replace .com above by .co.uk

BTW, take a look at the Isle of Man. Unfortunately, my GPS
software uses the same mapping data. :-(

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Room 40-1-B12, CERN
Old April 25th 05, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Dr Ivan D. Reid" wrote in message

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Farthi...0.855541&hl=en

BTW, take a look at the Isle of Man. Unfortunately,
my GPS software uses the same mapping data. :-(

The Isles of Scilly are also featurless, but its coverage of St Kilda seems
comprehensive.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Google Maps Basil Jet London Transport 5 July 20th 09 09:09 AM
Google Maps database error John Rowland London Transport 5 April 20th 09 01:41 PM
http://maps.google.co.uk/ John Rowland London Transport 27 October 11th 06 11:00 PM
London Underground route finder for your journey with Google Maps ezusbo London Transport 30 June 16th 06 12:01 PM
http://maps.google.co.uk/ John Rowland London Transport 16 April 26th 05 11:51 PM