London Banter

-   -   Buggies are wheelchairs! (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3152-buggies-wheelchairs.html)

Ian F. June 28th 05 03:02 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

On a bus this afternoon, I was sitting on one of the jump-seats in the
wheelchair area. A girl with a buggy got on and glared at me until I got up
and gave her my place.

The signage clearly says that the space is for wheelchairs - since when have
Big Mac-chomping, income support-claiming chav slappers with wailing brats
require the same level of concern as people in wheelchairs?

Ian

Paul Corfield June 28th 05 04:24 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 16:02:44 +0100, "Ian F."
wrote:

On a bus this afternoon, I was sitting on one of the jump-seats in the
wheelchair area. A girl with a buggy got on and glared at me until I got up
and gave her my place.

At least you were only glared at. I've been bashed into, had my feet run
over and witnessed all out warfare being buggy toting mothers.

The signage clearly says that the space is for wheelchairs - since when have
Big Mac-chomping, income support-claiming chav slappers with wailing brats
require the same level of concern as people in wheelchairs?

Since they became too lazy to fold them down and buggies developed 4x4
syndrome and turned into Hummers for toddlers. It would not surprise me
if mothers refused to move or fold their buggies if a wheelchair
passenger actually wanted to use the allocated space.

I hate the bloody things - they are a curse and are a safety risk if too
many are allowed on board. I hate to think what would happen if people
needed to escape from the rear of a bus when there were 3 buggies
jamming the aisle and centre doors. Wonder if TfL Buses have done that
risk assessment exercise?
--
Paul C

londoncityslicker June 28th 05 06:45 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

wrote:

[...]

They should do what they do in some countries and hang the buggies at the
front of the bus. (together with the parent!) ;-)

A.

Adrian June 28th 05 07:27 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

Ian F. ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

On a bus this afternoon, I was sitting on one of the jump-seats in the
wheelchair area. A girl with a buggy got on and glared at me

Lucky you...

until I got up and gave her my place.

Why?

Dashe June 28th 05 07:58 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

"Adrian" wrote in message
. 244.170...
Ian F. ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

On a bus this afternoon, I was sitting on one of the jump-seats in the
wheelchair area. A girl with a buggy got on and glared at me

Lucky you...

until I got up and gave her my place.

Why?

In Blackpool a notice has been placed on the buses stating how many
wheelchairs and/or buggies can be carried at one time. Great! Management
passing the buck and putting the onus on the driver to sort it out once
again! Wheelchairs should have priority over any sort of baby carriage.
Most of the young mothers look to me like a short walk would do them good
anyway.
parent for sure, but the buggies done nothing wrong!

Dave G

Alek June 28th 05 08:50 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

Here in Dublin the Rule is One Wheelchair OR in its absence ONE Occupied
buggy.
ALL others MUST fold and stow.
I am of the belief that this new category of Bus User is in fact becoming
responsible for a further decline in the numbers of "Ordinaries" using
Buses......

Dashe June 29th 05 01:14 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

"Alek" wrote in message
Here in Dublin the Rule is One Wheelchair OR in its absence ONE Occupied
buggy.
ALL others MUST fold and stow.
I am of the belief that this new category of Bus User is in fact becoming
responsible for a further decline in the numbers of "Ordinaries" using
Buses......

Yes, I think I must agree with you there, sadly!
Dave G

[email protected] June 29th 05 08:44 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

Paul Corfield wrote:
At least you were only glared at. I've been bashed into,
had my feet run over and witnessed all out warfare being
buggy toting mothers.

Of course I'm sure you're just lovely, but trying to
maneouvre buggies and/or a small child on buses (whether
tha stroller is collapsed or not) would be a great deal
easier if some passengers weren't a load of inconsiderate
******s.

If your experience of buggies and mothers has made you
hostile, think about what their experience is. You're
just got to stand around like the nice gentleman you are;
they've got a buggy and child to shift.

#Paul

Clive June 30th 05 12:16 AM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

In message ,
writes
they've got a buggy and child to shift.

They are masters of their own fate. If they can't fold a push chair
then walk, if they can't walk then keep your knees together and you
won't have the trouble of push chairs and kids annoying real passengers
who need to get from A to B. Lets not forget that these women have all
day to do their shopping or what ever it is they do.
--
Clive

Nick Cooper June 30th 05 08:18 AM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

wrote:

On a bus this afternoon, I was sitting on one of the jump-seats in the
wheelchair area. A girl with a buggy got on and glared at me until I got up
and gave her my place.

I would have just ignored her (unless she was pregnant with the next
one, of course).
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Mrs Redboots June 30th 05 11:02 AM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

#Paul wrote to uk.transport.london on Wed, 29 Jun 2005:

If your experience of buggies and mothers has made you
hostile, think about what their experience is. You're
just got to stand around like the nice gentleman you are;
they've got a buggy and child to shift.

#Paul

Unfortunately it's a vicious circle - in my day, when you took a buggy
on a bus folded, or not at all, they were lightweight and easy to fold.
Because they no longer need to be folded, they have become very much
larger and more unwieldy. So when they *do* need to be folded, as
sometimes happens, it's very much more difficult for the poor parent or
carer!
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Mrs Redboots June 30th 05 11:04 AM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

Clive wrote to uk.transport.london on Thu, 30 Jun 2005:

In message ,
writes
they've got a buggy and child to shift.

They are masters of their own fate. If they can't fold a push chair then
walk, if they can't walk then keep your knees together and you won't
have the trouble of push chairs and kids annoying real passengers who
need to get from A to B. Lets not forget that these women have all day
to do their shopping or what ever it is they do.

While I find buggies on buses can be as annoying and intrusive as you
evidently do, could I point out that a great many mothers of young
children are obliged to work to make ends meet (and this has always been
the case - the "Protestant work ethic" of father earning the family's
living while mother stayed at home with the children was always a
middle-class dream, never a working-class reality), so need to travel to
work when you do. Perhaps *you* could change *your* working hours,
since you are not encumbered by a family?

Please do try not to be so appallingly, insensitively offensive.
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Jason June 30th 05 11:30 AM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

wrote:

On a bus this afternoon, I was sitting on one of the jump-seats in the
wheelchair area. A girl with a buggy got on and glared at me until I got up
and gave her my place.

Most people think moving for "a girl with a buggy" is the polite thing
to do. Clearly your manners are deficient.

You have a choice of the *any vacant seat* (or even the top deck of a
double), whilst she has the choice of one or two seats near the only
available space to put her push-chair out of the way of other
passengers.

If the alternative was leaving the push-chair is the aisle, and then
sitting as cross to it as possible, it seems she made the right
decision for the greater comfort of all passengers.

The signage clearly says that the space is for wheelchairs - since when have
Big Mac-chomping, income support-claiming chav slappers with wailing brats
require the same level of concern as people in wheelchairs?

So what were YOU doing in the wheel-chair place? Was there not ANY
other seat on the bus?

Was she really eating a Big-Mac on the bus? How do you *know* she was
on income-support? Are these just unsubstantiated rantings, or or are
you just bleating because of YOUR selfishness?

Sounds like you need to think of others and put yourself in the place
of someone travelling with a child in a push-chair doing their best to
minimise inconvenience to other passengers - not just some oh-so
precious git in the jump-seat.

--

Cheers,

Jason.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Clive June 30th 05 11:44 AM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

In message , Mrs Redboots
writes
While I find buggies on buses can be as annoying and intrusive as you
evidently do, could I point out that a great many mothers of young
children are obliged to work to make ends meet (and this has always
been the case - the "Protestant work ethic" of father earning the
family's living while mother stayed at home with the children was
always a middle-class dream, never a working-class reality), so need to
travel to work when you do. Perhaps *you* could change *your* working
hours, since you are not encumbered by a family?

Please do try not to be so appallingly, insensitively offensive.

I am sorry for offending you, but I still think mothers with pushchairs
should have then folded before even attempting to board a bus. You're
right that I don't understand everyone's circumstances, but I do
understand the room these things take up and that modern buses of the
kneeling type are for wheelchair access not pushchair access. A little
thought would confirm my position, and I am white and working class.
Just go back a few years and you'll remember that whilst we had rear
unfolded pushchair and would only wait for it to be folded if the bus
was a bit early.
--
Clive

Matt Ashby June 30th 05 12:04 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

you won't have the trouble of push chairs and kids
annoying real passengers who need to get from
A to B. Lets not forget that these women have all
day to do their shopping or what ever it is they do.

I always presumed people with buggies were 'real
passengers who need to get from A to B'. I've
certainly never seen any holographic mothers with
prams, nor any women with toddlers riding around
and around on the bus all day not wanting to go
anywhere.

And of course many women with children have
full or part time jobs as well as looking after the
kids, but you knew that already.

Matt Ashby
www.mattashby.com

Colin Rosenstiel June 30th 05 12:21 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

In article ,
(Clive) wrote:

In message ,
writes
they've got a buggy and child to shift.

They are masters of their own fate. If they can't fold a push chair
then walk, if they can't walk then keep your knees together and you
won't have the trouble of push chairs and kids annoying real passengers
who need to get from A to B. Lets not forget that these women have all
day to do their shopping or what ever it is they do.

I can see you're not a parent. Back to re-education camp for you my boy!

--
Colin Rosenstiel

[email protected] June 30th 05 12:30 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

Clive wrote:
In message ,
writes
they've got a buggy and child to shift.

They are masters of their own fate. If they can't fold a push chair
then walk, if they can't walk then keep your knees together and you
won't have the trouble of push chairs and kids annoying real passengers
who need to get from A to B. Lets not forget that these women have all
day to do their shopping or what ever it is they do.
--
Clive

Clive, I'm very disappointed by this attitude. I often find your posts
very interesting so it's a shame to see that you think this way.

After all, your mother didn't keep her knees together, so what right do
you have to judge others?

Bringing up a child is not easy and being a good mother is a full-time
job. I suspect you are from an older generation of men that still does
not acknowledge this fact.

For a young "chav" (if we must use that word) mother the task is made
even harder by the fact that she herself probably did not have an
idyllic childhood and has no clear idea of how to deliver one for her
own children - as much as she would no doubt love to.

Perhaps you should consider the sacrifices your own mother made for
you, and the privileges that were bestowed upon you as a child, before
mouthing off like this.

Clive June 30th 05 01:38 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
I can see you're not a parent. Back to re-education camp for you my
boy!

Two, boy 27 girl22.
--
Clive

Clive June 30th 05 01:39 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

In message om,
writes
Perhaps you should consider the sacrifices your own mother made for
you, and the privileges that were bestowed upon you as a child, before
mouthing off like this.

Care to tell me what they were?
--
Clive

Colin Rosenstiel June 30th 05 01:46 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

In article ,
(Clive) wrote:

[...]

rear loading with a conductor, he would refuse access to someone with
an unfolded pushchair and would only wait for it to be folded if the
bus was a bit early.

You don't understand the issues of transporting a young child, do you?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Colin Rosenstiel June 30th 05 02:16 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

In article ,
(Clive) wrote:

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
I can see you're not a parent. Back to re-education camp for you my
boy!

Two, boy 27 girl22.

To whose transporting while young you contributed what?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Clive June 30th 05 03:02 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
Two, boy 27 girl22.

To whose transporting while young you contributed what?

As I like walking (Don't tell Doug) I carried them on my shoulders. If
you start when they're young and light you don't notice the gradual
build up of weight.
--
Clive

Colin Rosenstiel June 30th 05 03:25 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

In article ,
(Clive) wrote:

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes
Two, boy 27 girl22.

To whose transporting while young you contributed what?

As I like walking (Don't tell Doug) I carried them on my shoulders.
If you start when they're young and light you don't notice the gradual
build up of weight.

You never used a buggy or similar vehicle?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Paul Corfield June 30th 05 04:18 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:44:47 +0100,
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:
At least you were only glared at. I've been bashed into,
had my feet run over and witnessed all out warfare being
buggy toting mothers.

Of course I'm sure you're just lovely, but trying to
maneouvre buggies and/or a small child on buses (whether
tha stroller is collapsed or not) would be a great deal
easier if some passengers weren't a load of inconsiderate
******s.

If your experience of buggies and mothers has made you
hostile, think about what their experience is. You're
just got to stand around like the nice gentleman you are;
they've got a buggy and child to shift.

I find that a great many people these days are very rude and
inconsiderate. I am not exactly unmissable but the amount of people who
just bash into me and will not move out of the way or make the normal
sort of adjustment to allow the normal flow on pavements, in corridors
or on buses work properly is amazing. I try very hard not to get in
people's way, I try to be unfailingly helpful and polite (don't always
succeed though) and move to allow people past. However none of this
seems to count for anything - everyone else seems to have their own
sense of being "numero uno" to the detriment of all others. All that is
doing is creating a society of selfish people. What is worse is that
people have no concept that their manners and actions are inappropriate
- you just get the "don't disrespect me" look from people and please
note I'm making no racial distinction here at all.

The attitude of most buggy toting mothers is unacceptable in my view
regardless of whatever legitimate pressures they be experiencing as a
result of bringing up and transporting their children. As others have
said the space on these buses is for wheelchair users not specifically
for buggies which are carried unfolded as a favour not a right. While I
am not a parent I have a fair amount of sympathy for those who have that
responsibility. However parents do not have priority over all others and
neither do single people. We are all supposed to get along together
aren't we?

--
Paul C

Peter Lawrence June 30th 05 05:05 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 12:44:41 +0100, Clive
wrote:

[...]

Quote from TFL website: 'Today, our buses are environmentally friendly
and easy to use.........Low-floor vehicles, retractable ramps and
designated spaces for wheelchairs and pushchairs means improved
accessibility for more people.

A little thought would confirm my position, and I am white and working class.
Just go back a few years and you'll remember that whilst we had rear
unfolded pushchair and would only wait for it to be folded if the bus
was a bit early.

But the design of buses has improved and the parents , who are much
more numerous than wheelchair users, might reasonably expect that they
don't have to mess around with folding buggies any more.

--
Peter Lawrence

Clive June 30th 05 05:33 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

In message , Peter Lawrence
writes
But the design of buses has improved and the parents , who are much
more numerous than wheelchair users, might reasonably expect that they
don't have to mess around with folding buggies any more.

Are they prepared to fold up a pushchair if a wheelchair user gets on a
bus they are already on?
--
Clive

Neil Williams June 30th 05 06:08 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

wrote:

I am sorry for offending you, but I still think mothers with pushchairs
should have then folded before even attempting to board a bus. You're
right that I don't understand everyone's circumstances, but I do
understand the room these things take up and that modern buses of the
kneeling type are for wheelchair access not pushchair access.

No, they're not. They are provided with a low floor to aid access to
everyone, be they in a wheelchair, with a pram or with lots of
luggage, or often in mainland Europe with a bicycle. As it so
happens, a wheelchair has priority over the other items, because it
would generally be very difficult or impossible for its owner to fold
it and put it elsewhere.

The space exists. It may as well be used to assist those travelling.

Personally, I would not put tip-up seats in the space concerned, be it
on a bus or a train; not doing so avoids arguments, and the space can
be used for standing if the bus is really busy.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Neil Williams June 30th 05 06:10 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:33:23 +0100, Clive
wrote:

Are they prepared to fold up a pushchair if a wheelchair user gets on a
bus they are already on?

They certainly should be. If they are not (assuming they are able to
do so), they are then being inconsiderate. Merely boarding an empty
bus with an unfolded pram is not in itself an inconsiderate act. It
is using the available facilities appropriately.

(No, incidentally, I do not have young children).

Neil

Neil Williams June 30th 05 06:15 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 17:18:42 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

As others have
said the space on these buses is for wheelchair users not specifically
for buggies which are carried unfolded as a favour not a right.

As I've said elsewhere, as have others, it is multipurpose space. The
order of priority would, in my mind, typically be:-

1. wheelchair user
2. any passenger with an item that won't fit anywhere else on the bus
without causing an obstruction, e.g. pram, very large or heavy
suitcases etc
3. any other passenger

As I also said elsewhere, I'd remove the seats from the space as it
avoids arguments. Certainly on a decker, there are plenty of other
seats, and if the bus is so full that the last 2 are needed, more
standing space will come in useful at the next stop.

Neil

Clive June 30th 05 06:24 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

In message , Neil Williams
writes
kneeling type are for wheelchair access not pushchair access.

No, they're not.

Yes they are, do you think that councils would go to the trouble of
increasing curb heights at bus stops and bus companies providing special
(therefore more expensive) busses than needed if it weren't for the
legislation around access to invalids such as wheelchair users?
--
Clive

Neil Williams June 30th 05 06:44 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 19:24:00 +0100, Clive
wrote:

Yes they are, do you think that councils would go to the trouble of
increasing curb heights at bus stops and bus companies providing special
(therefore more expensive) busses than needed if it weren't for the
legislation around access to invalids such as wheelchair users?

1. MK Metro have at least one low floor bus without a wheelchair
space, so evidently, yes. This bus (relatively old, so probably one
of the very early low floor designs) was clearly designed only to make
it easier for people to board. (To be fair, I doubt a buggy would fit
either).

2. That the money was spent predominantly to provide wheelchair access
is irrelevant to the argument of whether the space is also intended
for prams, luggage, standing passengers, bicycles or whatever else
might happen to use it.

3. I've never seen a wheelchair user on a bus in Milton Keynes, ever,
not on a single occasion. I have, however, seen many prams.

4. Assuming they do not take place at the same time on the same
specific bus, provision for wheelchair and pushchair access are not
mutually exclusive.

Your comments are like saying that someone with heavy luggage should
not use a station lift, because it was most likely funded on the basis
of providing wheelchair access.

Neil

Clive June 30th 05 07:17 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

In message , Neil Williams
writes
Your comments are like saying that someone with heavy luggage should
not use a station lift, because it was most likely funded on the basis
of providing wheelchair access.

Not at all, I don't care if women want to take buggies onto busses, I'm
simply pointing out that business doesn't make money by throwing it away
on facilities that aren't a requirement.
--
Clive

Richard J. June 30th 05 08:06 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

Clive wrote:
In message , Neil Williams
writes
Your comments are like saying that someone with heavy luggage
should not use a station lift, because it was most likely funded
on the basis of providing wheelchair access.

Not at all, I don't care if women want to take buggies onto busses,
I'm simply pointing out that business doesn't make money by
throwing it away on facilities that aren't a requirement.

But if the facilities enable parents with buggies to use buses
conveniently, then the business *will* benefit, even if the facilities
were provided because the DDA said they should be.
--
Richard J.

Richard J. June 30th 05 08:20 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

Paul Corfield wrote:

[I agree with most of your post, but this bit is not quite right...]

As others have said the space on these buses is for wheelchair
users not specifically for buggies which are carried unfolded
as a favour not a right.

TfL Conditions of Carriage, section 13.2.1:
"Low floor buses improve accessibility for all passengers, especially
those in wheelchairs and those with children in buggies/pushchairs.
These buses are designed to allow wheelchairs, buggies and pushchairs to
be wheeled on and off the bus and
for them to be left unfolded in the wheelchair space provided for this
purpose."

It goes on to say that wheelchair users have priority, but it is clearly
TfL policy to allow buggies to be left unfolded in the "wheelchair
space" whenever possible. It's not a right, but it's more than just a
favour.

--
Richard J.

Dave Liney June 30th 05 09:00 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

wrote:

Are they prepared to fold up a pushchair if a wheelchair user gets on a
bus they are already on?

They certainly should be. If they are not (assuming they are able to
do so), they are then being inconsiderate.

Exactly -- if she is able to do so. If she is on her own then holding the
infant, and bags that were hanging off/put underneath the pushchair, folding
the pushchair, and then manoeuvring the combination on to the bus is not as
easy as some on this newsgroup believe.

Perhaps they'd be happier if those concerned didn't use public transport and
used cars instead.

Dave

[email protected] June 30th 05 09:45 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

Clive wrote:
In message ,
writes
they've got a buggy and child to shift.

They are masters of their own fate. If they can't fold a push chair
then walk, if they can't walk then keep your knees together and you
won't have the trouble of push chairs and kids annoying real passengers
who need to get from A to B. Lets not forget that these women have all
day to do their shopping or what ever it is they do.

Ah, I see now. A troll or a moron. Goodbye.

#Paul

Ian F. July 1st 05 08:07 AM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message

But the design of buses has improved and the parents , who are much
more numerous than wheelchair users, might reasonably expect that they
don't have to mess around with folding buggies any more.

That doesn't alter the fact that I, a 55 year-old, am expected to jump up
and hand over my seat the minute some 17 year-old chav slapper gets on the
bus with a buggy the size of Peckham!

Ian

Ian F. July 1st 05 08:09 AM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...

I would have just ignored her (unless she was pregnant with the next
one, of course).

Hindsight being, of course, 20-20 vision, that's what I should have done,
yes. I'll know for next time - and there undoubtedly will be a next time.

Ian

Ian F. July 1st 05 08:17 AM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

"Jason" wrote in message

Most people think moving for "a girl with a buggy" is the polite thing
to do. Clearly your manners are deficient.

Well, I don't. I think it's polite to move for an elderly person. Or for a
pregnant woman. Or for a disabled person. Please don't lecture me on
manners, sonny.

You have a choice of the *any vacant seat* (or even the top deck of a
double), whilst she has the choice of one or two seats near the only
available space to put her push-chair out of the way of other
passengers.

It's her choice to bring her whingeing brat onto public transport. I had no
other choice of seat, and precious little standing space.

The signage clearly says that the space is for wheelchairs - since when
have
Big Mac-chomping, income support-claiming chav slappers with wailing brats
require the same level of concern as people in wheelchairs?

So what were YOU doing in the wheel-chair place?

Er - there were no wheelchairs in it.

Was there not ANY other seat on the bus?

No, not one. And very little standing space. By manhanddling her wretched
machine onto the bus, she caused upset and disruption to several passengers.

Was she really eating a Big-Mac on the bus?

Not at that time, no. Her gob was too full of chewing-gum.

How do you *know* she was on income-support?

Beacuse this sort of person invariably is. I know - I pay for it.

Are these just unsubstantiated rantings, or or are you just bleating
because of YOUR selfishness?

How is it selfish to expect kids with brats not to think the world revolves
around them and their procreational activities? My rant is well
substantiated.

Ian

Colin Rosenstiel July 1st 05 12:27 PM

Buggies are wheelchairs!

In article , (Ian F.)
wrote:

"Peter Lawrence" wrote in message

But the design of buses has improved and the parents , who are much
more numerous than wheelchair users, might reasonably expect that they
don't have to mess around with folding buggies any more.

That doesn't alter the fact that I, a 55 year-old, am expected to jump
up and hand over my seat the minute some 17 year-old chav slapper gets
on the bus with a buggy the size of Peckham!

Why not? I haven't lost my sense of courtesy by being 55.

--
Colin Rosenstiel