Old July 7th 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Kat Kat is offline

Default Me in London today

Steve M wrote:
Boltar wrote:
Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

Arrived Huntingdon 16:55 after an eventless run. Get to car, drive
home.

You were quite lucky. I was one of the many who had to walk the
entire
way
home thanks to the bus drivers seeming to think that the zone 1 ban
extended as
far as finchley. Cheers guys, what heroes you are. Hope you had a nice
time
sitting at home watching the news while myself and 10s of thousands of
others
had to walk the entire way home. Still , at least now I know I can do
the 8 miles
back to my flat from central london on foot in 3.5 hours. B2003

Are you for real???

Oh yes, I think we can all vouch for that...
--
Kat

Old July 7th 05, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

The company my sister works for put a bar on all emails and phonecalls
to non company and customer addresses. "The extra traffic is harming
our business effectiveness"???!!! As you can guess this caused a lot of
panic until with the mobile networks overloaded until the phone bar was
lifted.

The company is French by the way

Neill

Old July 7th 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
For those who care, here's what happened to me today.

Glad to hear you're okay, Clive.

It was a strange feeling for me as I was working at home as the news
gradually filtered in. Like many of us, I went through the "I could
have been there" scenario and you think a bout a lot of people you know
(or know of) at times like this.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old July 8th 05, 06:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 00:20:37 +0100 someone who may be Ian Jelf
wrote this:-

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
For those who care, here's what happened to me today.

Glad to hear you're okay, Clive.

Yes. Some of us do care.

Like many of us, I went through the "I could
have been there" scenario

I think it is the familiar locations that make this line of thinking
even more prevalent.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old July 8th 05, 07:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , David Hansen
writes
wrote this:-

In message , Clive D. W. Feather
writes
For those who care, here's what happened to me today.

Glad to hear you're okay, Clive.

Yes. Some of us do care.

Like many of us, I went through the "I could
have been there" scenario

I think it is the familiar locations that make this line of thinking
even more prevalent.

Indeed, although I tend to find myself in a lot of pretty iconic places
a lot of the time, if you see what I mean.

Because my "colleagues" are people I only see occasionally and who
aren't in one place at one time, I'm still dreading hearing bad news
about someone I know but can't easily "check on".

Old July 8th 05, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Neillw001" wrote in message
oups.com...
The company my sister works for put a bar on all emails and phonecalls
to non company and customer addresses. "The extra traffic is harming
our business effectiveness"???!!! As you can guess this caused a lot of
panic until with the mobile networks overloaded until the phone bar was
lifted.

The company is French by the way

For a short time yesterday, at the request of the emergency services, all
networks had a shutdown on personal mobile calls. This is part of the
standard emergency reaction planning and nothing to do with the nationality
of the company owners, more with the physical location of the networks
concerned.
It was a case of follow the ticklist in the manual and later on review the
need for every measure taken.

Nick

Old July 8th 05, 08:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

General Von Clinkerhoffen typed

I did find that Texts were working though.

You were lucky. I failed four times to text my partner. I had a major
struggle to return from a pre-arranged hospital appointment.

I accept networks get jammed/closed with high-priority work.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old July 8th 05, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Are you for real???

Yes funnily enough. How exactly would unwell or infirm have managed to
walk miles and
miles home? Or would you just expect them to sleep on the streets? My
mother visits
london fairly often can can hardly climb into a bus never mind walk 10
miles. Thank god
she wasn't in central london , not only because of the blasts but
because those spineless
arseholes refusing to drive their buses would have meant she'd have
probably had a stroke
trying to get home. So **** you!

B2003

Old July 8th 05, 11:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

So there were no buses in Inner London because their drivers were
"spineless"? For goodness' sake, a bomb had exploded on one earlier,

Read what I wrote. I'm not talking about central london , the police
had
asked the buses to stop there, i know that. But in north london most of
the
buses also seemed have completely stopped. There was no 134 or 263 and
they
go well out into zones 3 & 4. I spoke to some "official" (read kid in
uniform)
and he said the drivers for arriva and some other company whos name
escapes me weren't turning up for work or were simply refusing to
drive.
Bunch of pussies. If myself and loads of other were willing to risk
being
a passenger I don't see why they can't risk driving the things.

drivers were ordered not to drive there and given the traffic situation,

The traffic was no worse than normal in the burbs as far as I could
see.

B2003