Old July 10th 05, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Which way were the trains going?

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:29 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

This is the first deep-level tube bomb. That is a very different
matter from cut and cover tunnels as the blast will have been much
more confined.

Apart from Wood Green in 1975 (the day after West Ham), of course.

Details? I don't recall that. Was it in a train in a running tunnel? What
stock was involved?

'The Story of London's Underground' [Ray & Reed, 8th edition, 2001,
page 179 ("Triumphs and Tragedies" chapter)]:

"The following day [after West Ham, i.e. 16 March 1975] a bomb
exploded on a Piccadilly Line train reversing during the evening at
Wood Green. Fortunately no-one was seriously hurt, but had the bomb
exploded later as presumably intended, the train would have been
packed with Arsenal supporters going home after an evening game at
Highbury. As a security precaution, litter-bins were removed from
Underground station"

--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Old July 10th 05, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article op.stnf8gztw13aik@stephen, Dockland
writes
London Underground have confirmed that the Liv. St train was heading on
the outer circle rail from Liverpool St towards Aldgate, although
looking at the actual software system maps they used to show the
location and direction of the trains it looked to me as if it was
headed for Aldgate East.

If you look carefully at the third diagram, you can see the yellow line
is curving rightwards towards the lozenge saying 235 (which is a
westbound H&C train crossing over the front of Aldgate station), and not
along the grey line past the disused Aldgate East station.

I suspect that the thin yellow lines in the third image indicate
sections of track that are showing "occupied" to the signalling system
even though there's no train on them, presumably because of the effects
of the explosion.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old July 11th 05, 03:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 00:29 +0100 (BST),
(Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Nick Cooper) wrote:

[...]

So in the station or in the open?

Details are fairly sketchy, almost certainly because nobody was killed,
so it wasn't a "major incident" that would be remembered. The only
other place I know it is coveredc is the commentary of the Piccadilly
"Driver's Eye View" video, teh gist of which was it was while still in
the platform tunnel, while in the process of reversing, but my memory
may be wrong on that.

And what did litter bins have to do with it? I thought they were removed
after a number of IRA bombs (not necessarily in London) were placed in
litter bins.

I'm pretty certain the general removal of litter bins on the sruface
didn't happen until the 1980s.

Old July 11th 05, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...
Details are fairly sketchy, almost certainly because nobody was killed,
so it wasn't a "major incident" that would be remembered. The only
other place I know it is coveredc is the commentary of the Piccadilly
"Driver's Eye View" video, teh gist of which was it was while still in
the platform tunnel, while in the process of reversing, but my memory
may be wrong on that.

It was a 1959 stock train, and IIRC the train was in Wood Green's eastbound
platform, either waiting for the siding route to be set, or moving slowly
into the siding. There's a picture in Rails Through The Clay IIRC. The train
wasn't too badly damaged, but nonetheless the 59ts car concerned had to be
scrapped.