Old July 8th 05, 10:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Which way were the trains going?

There seems to be some confusion as to which direction the three trains
were travelling in. The police chief in this morning's press conference
has just said that the first bomb was in a train travelling from
Aldgate to Liverpool Street, but others have been reporting that the
train was travelling in the opposite direction? I would have thought
that knowing the direction of the trains was crucial - you want to be
looking at the correct CCTV pictures on the platforms!

Additionally, I was watching the BBC last night and they had a diagram
of the Bus heading eastwards along Euston Road towards Kings Cross
before being diverted to Tavistock Square, but others have reported
that the bus came from Kings Cross?

If all the trains, and the bus, were travelling away from Kings Cross
then this adds weight to the single bomber theory.

Does someone have the definitive answer?

Thanks,
Paul

Old July 8th 05, 11:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Douglas" wrote in message
oups.com...
There seems to be some confusion as to which direction the three trains
were travelling in. The police chief in this morning's press conference
has just said that the first bomb was in a train travelling from
Aldgate to Liverpool Street, but others have been reporting that the
train was travelling in the opposite direction? I would have thought
that knowing the direction of the trains was crucial - you want to be
looking at the correct CCTV pictures on the platforms!

It surprises me that a clearer picture hasn't yet emerged. The reports
initially said that the bomb was on a Metropolitan line train, then later
some said a Circle line train. Initial reports said between Aldgate and
Liverpool Street, later between Aldgate East and Liverpool Street, yet they
still kept showing images of the outside of Aldgate station. This morning
they are still referring to both the Metropolitan line and the Circle line
(depending on whose report you read) yet nearly all are now referring to
Aldgate East, which neither the Metropolitan nor the Circle serve! Initial
confusion is understandable in the circumstances - but you would have
expected that by now the news services would have ensured that the
information that they are giving out is correct.

Old July 8th 05, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .com, Paul
Douglas writes

Additionally, I was watching the BBC last night and they had a diagram
of the Bus heading eastwards along Euston Road towards Kings Cross
before being diverted to Tavistock Square, but others have reported
that the bus came from Kings Cross?

The BBC website is unequivocal:

A Transport for London spokeswoman said the bus was a number 30,
travelling from Hackney to Marble Arch. It was following a
diversion from its normal route.

--
Paul Terry
Old July 8th 05, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Jack Taylor wrote:

"Paul Douglas" wrote in message
oups.com...

There seems to be some confusion as to which direction the three trains
were travelling in.

Initial confusion is understandable in the circumstances - but you would
have expected that by now the news services would have ensured that the
information that they are giving out is correct.

Indeed. Even at the time, i found the incredible variation in stories
quite comical - there was a point where BBC were broadcasting Charles
Clarke speaking in Parliament, and he said that there were four bombs;
they then cut back to Huw Edwards in the studio, who proceeded to tell us
there were seven! The discordance between what the newsreaders were saying
and the map they had was also rather confusing; they were showing incident
marks at Old Street and Bank to begin with (anyone know why?), then
ditched them but put one in at Moorgate, then eventually got rid of that.

A colleague of mine said she was in the train just ahead of the one which
was blown up at Edgware Road; she would have been on the H&C heading east.
She might be mistaken, though. I got the definite impression the
Piccadilly train was heading south. There was an eyewitness account from a
guy who was on the Aldgate train; he said he'd got on at Liverpool Street
to go to Tower Hill, which would make it an outer rail Circle.

tom

--
Baby got a masterplan. A foolproof masterplan.
Old July 8th 05, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

There seems to be some confusion as to which direction the three trains
were travelling in. The police chief in this morning's press conference
has just said that the first bomb was in a train travelling from
Aldgate to Liverpool Street, but others have been reporting that the
train was travelling in the opposite direction? I would have thought
that knowing the direction of the trains was crucial - you want to be
looking at the correct CCTV pictures on the platforms!

Additionally, I was watching the BBC last night and they had a diagram
of the Bus heading eastwards along Euston Road towards Kings Cross
before being diverted to Tavistock Square, but others have reported
that the bus came from Kings Cross?

If all the trains, and the bus, were travelling away from Kings Cross
then this adds weight to the single bomber theory.

Does someone have the definitive answer?

The BBC now has a clickable map.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/h...ml/aldgate.stm

--
Peter.

Old July 8th 05, 01:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Peter Goodland wrote:
[...]

This BBC map shows Bomb 1 and Bomb 3 both exploding on WESTBOUND Circle
line trains. But - think about the time differences between the two
explosions! The first bomb (Liverpool St.) was at 8:51 and the second
(Edware Rd) was at 9:17.

How long does it take a circle line train to get from Liverpool St. to
Edware road? These two trains could have been next to each other to
start with! Perhaps the same bomber placed bombs in both of these two
trains?

Paul

Old July 8th 05, 02:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

The two official press conferences held by the Met and shown by the BBC
also gave different descriptions about the location and direction of
travel of the trains concerned. This is perhaps understandable in the case
of the Edgware Rd incident where passing trains were involved.

The LUL spokesman has stated that the three trains carrying bombs were
Circle line (2) and Picadilly line trains. A passenger in the leading
coach of the Picadilly train has described how the passengers in his coach
were evacuated by the driver to Russell Square, while those behind
returned to Kings Cross. Other passengers mentioned boarding at Finsbury
Park, so this is surely a southbound train. At least two passengers
described boarding the Circle train at Liverpool St and heading for
Aldgate/Tower Hill, although I believe some passengers were later
evacuated to Aldgate Esat which added to the confusion. In today's press
conference the Met Police rep described it as an Aldgate to Liverpool St
train. I have heard eye witness descriptions from passengers on trains
travelling in both directions between Edgware Rd and Paddington, so this
is still unclear to me.

David

Old July 8th 05, 02:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

they showed some of It on American TV yesterday
ABC had the most news
Now I know London quite well
Abc reported that the One train had just left Kings Cross and was headed
towards Russell Square

the Bus Explosion occured between Tavistock and Russell
Square................if you were staying at the hotel Russell and walked
outside the hotel look to the right about a quarter of a block

Old July 8th 05, 04:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 12:10:52 +0100, Paul Terry
wrote:

In message .com, Paul
Douglas writes

Additionally, I was watching the BBC last night and they had a diagram
of the Bus heading eastwards along Euston Road towards Kings Cross
before being diverted to Tavistock Square, but others have reported
that the bus came from Kings Cross?

The BBC website is unequivocal:

A Transport for London spokeswoman said the bus was a number 30,
travelling from Hackney to Marble Arch. It was following a
diversion from its normal route.

The destination board on the bus clearly shows "Hackney Wick" suggesting
it was travelling from Marble Arch to Hackney. This would make sense as
if it was on diversion because of Kings X you wouldn't be travelling
southbound from Euston to Russell Square - it would be after KX if you
were headed for Marble Arch. On the other hand if the bus was going to
Hackney, why was the diversion southbound, wouldn't you head up Eversholt
Street from Euston?

Old July 8th 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message op.stlq76b0w13aik@stephen, Dockland
writes

The destination board on the bus clearly shows "Hackney Wick"
suggesting it was travelling from Marble Arch to Hackney.

Ah - I hadn't seen that. In the photos I've seen the front destination
blind appears to be hanging out and thus unreadable.

This would make sense as if it was on diversion because of Kings X it
would be after KX if you were headed for Marble Arch.

Yes. I think you are right. I initially assumed the diversion was
because of a build-up of westbound traffic because of Edgware Road, but
a diversion to avoid King's X for eastbound traffic is more likely. In
fact, I've now seen an eye-witness account on the BBC website that says
the police were directing all eastbound traffic on the Euston Road (and
pedestrians) south down through Tavistock Square in order to avoid
King's Cross.

It is awful to think that if the police hadn't diverted the traffic, the
bus would quite likely have blown up outside King's Cross, just as the
evacuation and rescue was proceeding there.

Even more awful is to think that that was what the bomber intended - and
hence perhaps the reports of the bomber becoming increasingly agitated
as he realised that the time was near but the destination had not been
reached.

it would be after KX if you were headed for Marble Arch. On the other
hand if the bus was going to Hackney, why was the diversion
southbound, wouldn't you head up Eversholt Street from Euston?

Probably longer to have to go via Camden Town. I imagine that Russell
Square was not closed at this stage - the tube station is not in the
square itself. Still I wasn't there (thankfully) and this is all
speculation.

--
Paul Terry