Old July 11th 05, 08:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Russell Square Question II

Hi!

As I was using the Russel Square station during my London stay in mid
march I was already then wondering, if this specific one couldn't be a
bottleneck regarding evacuation in case of emergency. The Russel Square
station exit that I know of is at Bernard street, right? Is there a
second one?
The only infrastructure "surface - platform" level are three(?)
elevators and this very cozy narrow circular staircase with some 150 or
so steps. In case of emergency - it's quite normal to not use elevators
in such a case - how the heck is this station being evacuated. All the
people running upstairs on this claustrophobic - for some probably -
winding staircase?
I cannot believe it, this is too hazardous.
I don't think that "setup" would meet any emergency procedures or rules,
and may they be unexpectedly low set.

Did I miss anything important?

regards
Tadej
--
.... aber auch bei Frauen hat das Großhirn tatsächlich eine Funktion ...
Selbst im wildestens Winterschlußverkaufrausch verstehen sie noch das

Old July 11th 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tadej Brezina wrote:
[...]

Well, for a start, if a train stops for whatever reason in a tunnel,
*any* tunnel, and has to be evacuated, it will take some time to do so,
especially if the tunnel is longer than the 500 metres or so between the
front of the bombed train and Russell Square station. Also, if
passengers have to walk along the track in single file, they will not
arrive at Russell Square at a rate that 3 lifts can't cope with. And
while lifts are not used in, say, burning buildings because of the risk
that they will fail, there was no such risk last Thursday at Russell
Square, so I would expect that the lifts continued to be used.
--
Richard J.