Old June 11th 08, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube accessibility question, Russell Square and Gloucester Road

Hello, I'm visiting from rec.travel.europe and rec.travel.asia

Could anyone tell me if either the Russell Square or Gloucester Road
stations would present entry/exit problems if I'm carrying a standard
wheeled suitcase of 15kg or so. Hotels are nearby.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old June 11th 08, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 16:01:25 on Wed,
11 Jun 2008, grusl remarked:
Could anyone tell me if either the Russell Square or Gloucester Road
stations would present entry/exit problems if I'm carrying a standard
wheeled suitcase of 15kg or so. Hotels are nearby.

Russell Square has lifts to the surface, but in common with many other
deep-tube stations will have a short flight (to get up and over the
running tunnel) of stairs-only at the lower level to reach the lifts.

I don't know Gloucester Road so well, but most stations like that will
have a rather longer set of stairs from the sub-surface [ie District
Line] platform to street level, with the Piccadilly Line access
initially to the subsurface platform level.
Old June 11th 08, 11:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

grusl wrote:
Hello, I'm visiting from rec.travel.europe and rec.travel.asia

Could anyone tell me if either the Russell Square or Gloucester Road
stations would present entry/exit problems if I'm carrying a standard
wheeled suitcase of 15kg or so. Hotels are nearby.

According to an old accessibility spreadsheet that used to be online but I
think is no longer the

Russell Square has about 20 steps up from the platform to the lifts, which
then take you up to street level.

At Gloucester Road, the District and Circle Lines have 36 to 40* steps up
from the platform to street level. The deeper Piccadilly Line has 27 steps
up from the platform to the lifts, which then take you up to street level.

* [The spreadsheet says 36 from the Circle and eastbound District, but 40
from the westbound District, which seems unlikely, but the numbers are about
right.]

--
Richard J.

Old June 11th 08, 03:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"grusl" wrote in message

Hello, I'm visiting from rec.travel.europe and rec.travel.asia

Could anyone tell me if either the Russell Square or Gloucester Road
stations would present entry/exit problems if I'm carrying a standard
wheeled suitcase of 15kg or so. Hotels are nearby.

If you can use Earl's Court station instead of Gloucester Road, you can
get lifts from all platforms to street level. But I guess a 15kg
suitcase isn't too hard to haul up a flight of stairs.

Old June 13th 08, 12:03 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Richard J.) wrote:

At Gloucester Road, the District and Circle Lines have 36 to 40*
steps up from the platform to street level. The deeper Piccadilly
Line has 27 steps up from the platform to the lifts, which then
take you up to street level.

That can't be right, surely? The Piccadilly platforms are not at the same
levels.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old June 13th 08, 07:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Jun, 01:03, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
That can't be right, surely? The Piccadilly platforms are not at the same
levels.

I think they are. Direct Enquiries says 27 steps up from both, and
CULG and Stephen Knight say the platforms are island style.

http://www.directenquiries.com/stati...44_P2H&level=3
http://www.directenquiries.com/stati...80_P2H&level=3
http://thelondontube.org.uk/trackmaps/#Picc
http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/piccadilly.html#layout

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London
Old June 13th 08, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 00:08:43 -0700 (PDT), Mr Thant
wrote:

On 13 Jun, 01:03, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
That can't be right, surely? The Piccadilly platforms are not at the same
levels.

I think they are. Direct Enquiries says 27 steps up from both, and
CULG and Stephen Knight say the platforms are island style.

Is Colin confused with South Kensington, perhaps?