Old July 13th 05, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Taking a dog on the underground

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On 12 Jul 2005 23:31:37 -0700, "AndyColeman"
wrote:

Hi,

Next week we will need to take our dog (a Labrador) on a little journey
from Finchley Central to Waterloo. From there we will be going down to
Haslemere on the mainline. I am not too worried about the mainline
train but is it ok for me to take the dog on the tube? I have seen
others with dogs so it is presumably ok, but just wondered if it was
not allowed in the central parts of the network.

One concern is the escalators. I have seen signs on some escalators
indicating that dogs need to be carried. As she is 30kg this could be
difficult on a long escalator. I can pick her up when get on and off
but it should be safe to put her down while traveling up.

This is a bit of a long way round for a short cut but you could take the
tube to Waterloo and when exiting the station go via the Jubilee Line
ticket hall. You will need to follow the signs from the Northern Line to
the Jubilee Line, walk in the central section between the travelators
(it's a long link) and then take the lift from the intermediate
concourse to the Jubilee Line ticket hall. You may then also need to
take a lift from there up to the Network Rail station - can't remember
if there are just escalators or stairs there as well. It is possible to
walk via Waterloo Road and then find the main station entrance if there
are only escalators. There are steps from the Northern Line up to the
interchange corridor level at Waterloo tube..

Be warned though that trying the above will add a decent chunk of time
onto your interchange time. Also allow plenty of time to buy tickets
for the mainline - Waterloo ticket office can be very busy indeed.
--
Paul C

Dont let him/her/it walk up the escalator.
I had the unfortunate experience of being on duty when a lady insisted her
dog was OK to walk with her on the moving escalator. She was told not to but
insisted.
Half way up the poor mutt got agitated and some how got its claw caught in
the side of the moving step. Much noise and you dont want to know what
happened when it reached the top. Luckily a CSA was at the barrier and
pressed the stop button.
As part of the station emergency plan all stations have an emergency Vet
number - which we used that day.

So even if you have to carry him - do it. The dog was OK on the escalator
but the noise/people/whatever just got him a little agitated.

I sometimes watch in amazement the way people let kids play on these things.
They are as safe as they can be but have many nasty sharp metal bits like
step edges and you would be amazed the amount of clothes that get caught.

They are dangeroous and should be treated as such.

Mal

Old July 13th 05, 11:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message . com,
AndyColeman writes

One concern is the escalators. I have seen signs on some escalators
indicating that dogs need to be carried. As she is 30kg this could be
difficult on a long escalator. I can pick her up when get on and off
but it should be safe to put her down while traveling up.

There is no regulation to prevent you taking a dog on the tube through
the central area. However, if you cannot carry the dog on the escalator
then you are supposed to ask a member of staff to stop the escalator so
you can walk down/up. This will only normally be done at quiet times
outside the rush hour - since Waterloo doesn't have quiet times, you'd
probably do better to take Paul C's rather roundabout route.

--
Paul Terry

Yep, your best bet is to go to the Jubilee Line area and there is a lift up
to street level.
However from street level up to the national rail station Im not sure.
There are escalators. Can't remember seeing a lift.
If there isn;t a lift then you'll have to walk along the road and up through
the main doors by Costa Coffee.

I would have thought that Waterloo has lift access somewhere from
streetlevel which doesn't involve using a car or walking for miles but then
again . . .

A.

Old July 13th 05, 01:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message . com, at
23:31:37 on Tue, 12 Jul 2005, AndyColeman
remarked:
One concern is the escalators. I have seen signs on some escalators
indicating that dogs need to be carried.

It's not clear how they expect to supply enough dogs for everyone to
be able to comply with this sign.

Apparently it's at its worst at peke time.

8-))

--
Cheers for now,

John from Harrow, Middx

remove spamnocars to reply

Old July 13th 05, 11:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Remember many strict muslims find dogs offensive (for example police
are reluctant to use dogs to search mosques for bombs or drugs) so you
might consider not taking the animal onto the UndergrounD for fear of
causing 'offence' to our guests.

Old July 14th 05, 11:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for the words of warning. Looks like I will be carrying her up.

Andy

Old July 14th 05, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks both for the usefull info.

Andy

Old July 14th 05, 06:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com,
AndyColeman writes
Hi,

Next week we will need to take our dog (a Labrador) on a little journey
from Finchley Central to Waterloo. From there we will be going down to
Haslemere on the mainline. I am not too worried about the mainline
train but is it ok for me to take the dog on the tube? I have seen
others with dogs so it is presumably ok, but just wondered if it was
not allowed in the central parts of the network.

One concern is the escalators. I have seen signs on some escalators
indicating that dogs need to be carried. As she is 30kg this could be
difficult on a long escalator. I can pick her up when get on and off
but it should be safe to put her down while traveling up.

Thanks for any advice.

Just to add a possible route, albeit it a bit of a long way round, you
could take the Northern Line from Finchley Central to Bank, and then the
Waterloo & City line from there.
The only escalators you will encounter are those between the Northern
and W&C platforms at Bank, which have a central fixed staircase. Access
from the W&C platforms at Waterloo to the mainline concourse is by
stairs.
This does assume you aren't planning on travelling at a time when the
W&C is closed.
--
Daniel (a.k.a Spyke)
Address is valid, but messages are treated as junk. Replace the bit before the
Old July 14th 05, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 13:40:44 GMT, "John Shelley"
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message . com, at
23:31:37 on Tue, 12 Jul 2005, AndyColeman
remarked:
One concern is the escalators. I have seen signs on some escalators
indicating that dogs need to be carried.

It's not clear how they expect to supply enough dogs for everyone to
be able to comply with this sign.

Apparently it's at its worst at peke time.

Also, wouldn't supplying dogs for everybody cause a sharp increase in
littering? :-)

Charlie

--
Remove NO-SPOO-PLEASE from my email address to reply
Please send no unsolicited email or foodstuffs
Old July 14th 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 09:42:31 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message . com, at
23:31:37 on Tue, 12 Jul 2005, AndyColeman
remarked:
One concern is the escalators. I have seen signs on some escalators
indicating that dogs need to be carried.

It's not clear how they expect to supply enough dogs for everyone to be
able to comply with this sign.

Observed by Pratchett in "Truckers"...

--
James Farrar

September's coming soon
Old July 23rd 05, 09:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I've seen this happen to a large dog (labrador or alsation, can't remember
now) on the up escalators at Camden Town. The person in front of me just
had the dog standing on the escalator. I stopped the escalator, but dog
was in great distress with blood everywhere -claw ripped out and paw
damaged.

Roger

Central line tail wagging HS2 dog? 77002 London Transport 6 April 6th 12 09:18 PM
DLR Taking the PIS MIG London Transport 5 February 4th 09 12:24 AM
Couple banned for life from shopping centre and branded 'terrorists' - for taking photos of their grandchildren Dr. Lippschitz London Transport 0 January 6th 08 11:47 PM
Taking the PIS asdf London Transport 5 September 13th 06 09:28 PM
Take A Dog Along When You Travel haha Moishe Lipshitz London Transport 13 July 16th 05 10:10 PM