Old July 15th 05, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Hearsay

"Boltar" wrote in message
oups.com...

Lots of things are flammable and explosive
if converted to a fine spray.

I was taught at school that pretty much anything can be an explosive if
powdered finely enough and mixed with air. Custard powder and paint are
particularly good at demolishing the factories where they are made.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old July 15th 05, 12:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Investigations have shown no structural damage to either Circle/H&S
roof/sidewalls. There is supeficial damage to cabling and the immediate
areas but this will not take too long to fix. The Picc is a different
story. However its possible the Vic line will be resume stopping at
Kings Cross later today. This will allow interchange with Met and
mainline/Thameslink. Northern still being assesed.
Just when i was starting to enjoy the summer walk from Euston.....

Old July 15th 05, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:33:11 +0100, John wrote:

I hear that the H&C could be 2 months before it is back in order (worst
case because they don't know the tunnel status until the police vacate
site and Piccadily is anything up to 8 months if the tunnel needs a
rebuild - comments?

None of what you have said aligns with anything already published by TfL
/ LUL. I have heard no mention whatsoever of the timescales you are
talking about and I would have expected to have done so if we had an 8
month closure to deal with.
--
Paul C

Old July 15th 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The Piccadilly line tunnels have not suffered serious damage contray to
some reports that claimed they were structually unsound. However the
scene on this line is one of carnage and has been described as pretty
horendous.

You are looking at the Piccadilly line being closed for while but for
it to be closed eight months would be highly unlikely, though it is
unlikely to be re-open in the near future.

In terms of Kings Cross, the Northern line platforms may remain closed
for Safety reason especially as the main access is via the Piccadilly
line escalators. After the fire at Kings Cross in 1987 the Northern
line platforms remained closed for a further eighteen months for safety
reasons as it was felt too dangerous to direct everyone down the
Victoria line platforms.

Martin

Martin

Old July 15th 05, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

downunder wrote:
Investigations have shown no structural damage to either Circle/H&S
roof/sidewalls. There is supeficial damage to cabling and the immediate
areas but this will not take too long to fix. The Picc is a different
story. However its possible the Vic line will be resume stopping at
Kings Cross later today. This will allow interchange with Met and
mainline/Thameslink. Northern still being assesed.

What has prevented the Vic line opening so far? Obviously there is still
investigation and recovery work going on in the picc line section, but
what is it that passengers from the vic line need to be shielded from?

Old July 15th 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

oups.com...

Paul Corfield wrote:
On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 23:33:11 +0100, John wrote:

I hear that the H&C could be 2 months before it is back in order (worst
case because they don't know the tunnel status until the police vacate
site and Piccadily is anything up to 8 months if the tunnel needs a
rebuild - comments?

None of what you have said aligns with anything already published by TfL
/ LUL. I have heard no mention whatsoever of the timescales you are
talking about and I would have expected to have done so if we had an 8
month closure to deal with.
--
Paul C

From what I heard on the news tonight, the cabling that runs through the
tunnels is a bit of a problem, as there are very few diagrams /
documentation on it. I should imagine a good team of electrical engineers
working things out in time.

BTW I do know that LU, Tube Lines etc. have a lot of the original
Underground diagrams, maps etc. on Altris (document management and imaging
system) - the originals of some of this paperwork are at the LT Museum. I
haven't seen any of it, but I used to work in IT at Tube Lines

Old July 15th 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Stuart" wrote in message
.uk...
downunder wrote:
Investigations have shown no structural damage to either Circle/H&S
roof/sidewalls. There is supeficial damage to cabling and the immediate
areas but this will not take too long to fix. The Picc is a different
story. However its possible the Vic line will be resume stopping at
Kings Cross later today. This will allow interchange with Met and
mainline/Thameslink. Northern still being assesed.

What has prevented the Vic line opening so far? Obviously there is still
investigation and recovery work going on in the picc line section, but
what is it that passengers from the vic line need to be shielded from?

The whole area was cosidered a scene of crime and the police went through it
with a very fine tooth comb! They were swabbing the platform for anything -
no idea what- at one stage. There is the possibility the men may have gone
down to the Vic platform perhaps???

It opened at about 15:45. Its gunna be busy on Monday - and we have had a
bad week.......

Mal

Old July 15th 05, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article .com,
wrote:

A bit worrying that I have both main ingredients, in very small
quantities, at home. Acetone is a useful solvent for fibre glass resin
and hydrogen peroxide is an antisceptic. Looks as though I might be
using alternatives from now on.

In order to make Acetone peroxide you also need a mineral acid (to
act as a catalyst) and keep the mixture cool to stop unstable
products forming. Also helps if the Peroxide is in industrial strength
(at least 20 volume), as you don't get much product otherwise.

Not that I want to encourage you to do this. Acetone peroxide is
almost as unstable a high explosive as Nitrogen triiodide.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"We can also agree that Saddam Hussein most certainly has chemical and biolog-