Old July 17th 05, 02:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Default Tripcocks on 165s

I was on a 165 formed of 3 x 2 carriage sets the other day, sat at the
front of the back 2 car unit. The driver passed the signal and by the
time my coach got to the signal, (as you'd expect) it had a red aspect
showing, but why wasn't the train 'tripped?' Do all the tripcocks
become inactive apart from the ones in the 1st unit when they're
coupled together, or do the train stops raise after a delay (say
30Secs) or so to allow the train to pass over?

Old July 17th 05, 02:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Joe wrote:
I was on a 165 formed of 3 x 2 carriage sets the other day, sat at the
front of the back 2 car unit. The driver passed the signal and by the
time my coach got to the signal, (as you'd expect) it had a red aspect
showing, but why wasn't the train 'tripped?' Do all the tripcocks
become inactive apart from the ones in the 1st unit when they're
coupled together, or do the train stops raise after a delay (say
30Secs) or so to allow the train to pass over?

Tripcocks in the middle and at the rear of the train are rendered
inoperative, i.e. only the one at the front is working.

Old July 17th 05, 03:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 17 Jul 2005 07:37:51 -0700, "Joe"
wrote:

I was on a 165 formed of 3 x 2 carriage sets the other day, sat at the
front of the back 2 car unit. The driver passed the signal and by the
time my coach got to the signal, (as you'd expect) it had a red aspect
showing, but why wasn't the train 'tripped?' Do all the tripcocks
become inactive apart from the ones in the 1st unit when they're
coupled together, or do the train stops raise after a delay (say
30Secs) or so to allow the train to pass over?

I've watched trainstops on LU before (not on that particular bit of
line though) and they only rose after the entire train had passed.
Old July 17th 05, 07:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
RPM RPM is offline

"Joe" wrote in message
ups.com...
I was on a 165 formed of 3 x 2 carriage sets the other day, sat at the
front of the back 2 car unit. The driver passed the signal and by the
time my coach got to the signal, (as you'd expect) it had a red aspect
showing, but why wasn't the train 'tripped?' Do all the tripcocks
become inactive apart from the ones in the 1st unit when they're
coupled together, or do the train stops raise after a delay (say
30Secs) or so to allow the train to pass over?

Only the tripcock on the leading vehicle is "active" on a 165/168.

If two units are coupled together the tripcocks on the two cabs that are
coupled tend to trip but this does not prevent the train from moving. When
the two units are separated again you then find it has been tripped and have
to reset it. The "uncouple" button on a 165/168 doubles as a tripcock reset
button.

Roger

http://rpm-railpics.fotopic.net/
http://therailwaystationgallery.fotopic.net/
http://therailticketgallery.fotopic.net/

All opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of my employer.

Old July 17th 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:03:53 +0100 someone who may be "RPM"
wrote this:-

Only the tripcock on the leading vehicle is "active" on a 165/168.

If two units are coupled together the tripcocks on the two cabs that are
coupled tend to trip but this does not prevent the train from moving.

That probably/possibly involves the tripcock arms on the rear units
regularly striking a trackside trainstop arm at considerable speed,
once on each trip. This will be where the train enters the area
fitted with LT signalling. That can't be good for the life of the
arms and they are likely to break off at the point when they need to
work.

It would be better for the arms to be automatically moved out of the
way when coupled up.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Old July 17th 05, 08:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Erm, Roger is a driver at Chiltern. Who signs 165's and 168's.
He knows what he is talking about!

Old July 18th 05, 07:46 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 17 Jul 2005 13:16:20 -0700 someone who may be "Minna Daisuki
Katamari Damacy" wrote this:-

Erm, Roger is a driver at Chiltern. Who signs 165's and 168's.
He knows what he is talking about!

None of which is an answer to the points I raised.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
Old July 18th 05, 07:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote this:-

Only the tripcock on the leading vehicle is "active" on a 165/168.

If two units are coupled together the tripcocks on the two cabs that are
coupled tend to trip but this does not prevent the train from moving.

That probably/possibly involves the tripcock arms on the rear units
regularly striking a trackside trainstop arm at considerable speed,
once on each trip. This will be where the train enters the area
fitted with LT signalling. That can't be good for the life of the
arms and they are likely to break off at the point when they need to
work.

It would be better for the arms to be automatically moved out of the
way when coupled up.

I am advised that the trip arm/s on trailing units stays down until it
strikes a trackside obstruction. Since it is swtiched out of the circuit
there is no effect when that happens. It is automatically reset when
uncoupling.

Old July 18th 05, 08:32 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote this:-

Only the tripcock on the leading vehicle is "active" on a 165/168.

If two units are coupled together the tripcocks on the two cabs that
are coupled tend to trip but this does not prevent the train from
moving.

That probably/possibly involves the tripcock arms on the rear units
regularly striking a trackside trainstop arm at considerable speed,
once on each trip. This will be where the train enters the area
fitted with LT signalling. That can't be good for the life of the
arms and they are likely to break off at the point when they need to
work.

It would be better for the arms to be automatically moved out of the
way when coupled up.

Two points.
Firstly, LT trains work in the same way and I am not aware that they have
had problems.
Secondly, Once a tripcock is struck it remains in the up position until it
is reset when the unit is uncoupled so the rear unit tripcock will only be
hit once per period of time that the unit is coupled as the non leading
unit.

--
Cheers for now,

John from Harrow, Middx

remove spamnocars to reply

Old July 18th 05, 09:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:44:02 +0100, David Hansen wrote:

That probably/possibly involves the tripcock arms on the rear units
regularly striking a trackside trainstop arm at considerable speed,
once on each trip. This will be where the train enters the area
fitted with LT signalling. That can't be good for the life of the
arms and they are likely to break off

Why should the speed ("considerable" or otherwise) be a matter of
concern for these arms, but not for the leading one? Unless there is
significant acceleration or deceleration, won't it be more or less the
same speed for all of them?

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9628969.html
(03 179 at Ipswich in 1980, long before being christened "Clive")