London Banter

-   -   Tunnel damage (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3288-tunnel-damage.html)

Robin Mayes July 18th 05 08:24 PM

Tunnel damage

"Andy & Kim" wrote in message
Hi Guy's,
Regarding the recent bombings, does anybody know how badly damaged the
tunnels are and the infrastructure it's self?

Yes

Andy & Kim July 18th 05 08:51 PM

Tunnel damage

Hi Guy's,
Regarding the recent bombings, does anybody know how badly damaged the
tunnels are and the infrastructure it's self?

Andy

Nick Leverton July 18th 05 10:57 PM

Tunnel damage

In article ,
Robin Mayes wrote:

"Andy & Kim" wrote in message
Hi Guy's,
Regarding the recent bombings, does anybody know how badly damaged the
tunnels are and the infrastructure it's self?

Yes

Do you know who knows ? (Educated guesses allowed :-))

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/ ... So express yourself

John Rowland July 19th 05 01:02 AM

Tunnel damage

"Robin Mayes" wrote in message
"Andy & Kim" wrote in message

does anybody know how badly damaged the
tunnels are and the infrastructure it's self?

Yes

Is it still a crime scene? If so, I doubt if anyone qualified to quantify
damage has been near it.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

MatSav July 19th 05 07:39 AM

Tunnel damage

"John Rowland" signs as follows:

And, for the present, it's been split in two!

--
MatSav

Nick Cooper July 19th 05 08:10 AM

Tunnel damage

"Andy & Kim" wrote in message

does anybody know how badly damaged the
tunnels are and the infrastructure it's self?

Yes

Is it still a crime scene? If so, I doubt if anyone qualified to quantify
damage has been near it.

Well, at the Saturday press conference two days after the bombing Tim
O'Toole stated that the Piccadilly line tunnel was intact,
specifically in response to a press question as to whther it was
"unsafe." Presumably they did a damage assessment immediately to
determine if it was safe enough to be worked in as a crime scene.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War:
http://www.cwgcuser.org.uk/personal/...ra/lu/tuaw.htm
625-Online - classic British television:
http://www.625.org.uk
'Things to Come' - An Incomplete Classic:
http://www.thingstocome.org.uk

Loony Tune July 19th 05 10:16 AM

Tunnel damage

Nick Cooper wrote:

Well, at the Saturday press conference two days after the bombing Tim
O'Toole stated that the Piccadilly line tunnel was intact,
specifically in response to a press question as to whther it was
"unsafe." Presumably they did a damage assessment immediately to
determine if it was safe enough to be worked in as a crime scene.

I think the harder issue is how damaged is all the signaling system ie
cables etc. Track is easy to repair, just cut out the busted bits and
bolt in the lovely new shiny bits. As I understand it, the cables used
for signaling are complex, varied and huge in quantity. And then there's
the age of the signaling system. Are there any 'spares' floating around?
or will they have to have new parts made from scratch?

Loony T

Boltar July 19th 05 10:21 AM

Tunnel damage

Well, at the Saturday press conference two days after the bombing Tim
O'Toole stated that the Piccadilly line tunnel was intact,

Just from what I've seen in the media and by the consequences of the
bombs it seems to me that they weren't all that powerful (otherwise
the carriages would have completely annihalated and no one inside
would have survived) so I suspect damage to the tunnels (which are
built a lot stronger than the trains) is probably limited to damaged
cabling and track.

B2003

Simon July 19th 05 10:46 AM

Tunnel damage

Well, at the Saturday press conference two days after the bombing Tim
O'Toole stated that the Piccadilly line tunnel was intact,
specifically in response to a press question as to whther it was
"unsafe." Presumably they did a damage assessment immediately to
determine if it was safe enough to be worked in as a crime scene.

I think the harder issue is how damaged is all the signaling system ie
cables etc. Track is easy to repair, just cut out the busted bits and
bolt in the lovely new shiny bits. As I understand it, the cables used
for signaling are complex, varied and huge in quantity. And then there's
the age of the signaling system. Are there any 'spares' floating around?
or will they have to have new parts made from scratch?

Remember the Camden Town derailment. I think that took about 2 weeks for it
to reopen. Wasn't the main delay there tracing where the damaged cables
went to.

[email protected] July 19th 05 12:21 PM

Tunnel damage

Boltar wrote:
Well, at the Saturday press conference two days after the bombing Tim
O'Toole stated that the Piccadilly line tunnel was intact,

Just from what I've seen in the media and by the consequences of the
bombs it seems to me that they weren't all that powerful (otherwise
the carriages would have completely annihalated and no one inside
would have survived) so I suspect damage to the tunnels (which are
built a lot stronger than the trains) is probably limited to damaged
cabling and track.

B2003

Cabling can be a problem though. It was on the news a while ago. The
reason the Northern Line took so long to get working last time that had
an accident was that they didn't have any up to date wiring diagrams.
If the Piccadilly line is the same then that could take a while too.

tim \(moved to sweden\) July 19th 05 04:46 PM

Tunnel damage

"Nick Leverton" wrote in message
In article ,
Robin Mayes wrote:

"Andy & Kim" wrote in message
Hi Guy's,
Regarding the recent bombings, does anybody know how badly damaged the
tunnels are and the infrastructure it's self?

Yes

Do you know who knows ? (Educated guesses allowed :-))

News today is the the Circle ought to open within a fortnight.

The Picc is to remain closed for an unspecified (unknown)
time, probably many months.

Nick
--
http://www.leverton.org/ ... So express yourself

Paul Corfield July 19th 05 05:31 PM

Tunnel damage

On 19 Jul 2005 05:21:39 -0700, wrote:

Boltar wrote:
Well, at the Saturday press conference two days after the bombing Tim
O'Toole stated that the Piccadilly line tunnel was intact,

Just from what I've seen in the media and by the consequences of the
bombs it seems to me that they weren't all that powerful (otherwise
the carriages would have completely annihalated and no one inside
would have survived) so I suspect damage to the tunnels (which are
built a lot stronger than the trains) is probably limited to damaged
cabling and track.

Cabling can be a problem though. It was on the news a while ago. The
reason the Northern Line took so long to get working last time that had
an accident was that they didn't have any up to date wiring diagrams.
If the Piccadilly line is the same then that could take a while too.

This is correct but removal of the train will have to be done very
carefully to avoid causing even more damage to cables and other parts of
the infrastructure.

Half of the train at KX has been removed to Cockfosters depot while I am
told the Edgware Road carriages were being taken away by low loader
today having been craned out.
--
Paul C

mtveurope July 19th 05 07:30 PM

Tunnel damage

I just read this from the tube's website on the ask tube section
"Question

When will the Tubes be returning to normal after the events of 7 July?

Answer

We will not be in a position to add to the current level of service on
the Metropolitan, Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines for a
number of days.

The service on the Piccadilly line will remain suspended between Arnos
Grove and Hyde Park Corner for the foreseeable future.

Following agreement with the Police, the Victoria line is now stopping
at King's Cross/St Pancras. The Northern line will start stopping at
King's Cross/St Pancras again from Monday 17 July."

this text gives the ideia that the suspention is here to stay, what do
you think?

mtveurope July 19th 05 07:38 PM

Tunnel damage

by the way... if they only have problem with the cables why does circle
will be working soon? does that line don't have cables? (I know it's
not so close to the train, but they're still there, don't they?

Pedro.

Paul Corfield July 19th 05 08:17 PM

Tunnel damage

On 19 Jul 2005 12:38:38 -0700, "mtveurope" wrote:

by the way... if they only have problem with the cables why does circle
will be working soon? does that line don't have cables? (I know it's
not so close to the train, but they're still there, don't they?

I have not seen any detailed information but both of the Circle Line
bombs took place in wider tunnels and the trains are of a different
profile to those of the Picc Line. Therefore the outward effect of the
explosions would seem to be less. As there is more space in the sub
surface tunnels then it is possible that there is less cable damage. All
tube lines have a range of cables running alongside to provide
telephone, communication, signalling and power supplies. The amount of
cabling is potentially more complex at junctions and all of the
explosions took place near junctions or crossovers so there is a clear
need to be careful in clearing / cleaning / repairing the sites so that
more damage is not caused in the short run.

There will be important issues to consider in what is restored in what
order to ensure a logical and safe approach is taken, that the
infrastructure is in a resilient state and that the safety regulators
can be confident on behalf of the public that the railway is safe to
reopen. People will naturally be concerned / nervous about travelling
over the bombed sections of line so a fully safe and reliable railway is
needed to provide reassurance to London's tube users.

Although I can be accused of being biased as I work for LU I think the
progress thus far has been very good in trying circumstances. I look
forward to having the railway back and working properly. People need to
be patient even though I can understand why people may be getting
"hacked off" with disrupted journeys and overcrowding.

--
Paul C

[email protected] July 19th 05 09:22 PM

Tunnel damage

It took almost 1 year to the day for the #1 train to run under the WTC
site.

The other WTC stations World Trade Center on the E & Cortlandt St on
the N R & W are on the outskirts of WTC while the 1train was in the
center of WTC.

Ironically as a life long NYer i was not in NYC on 9/11 but was at
Heathrow
on 7/7.

Robin Mayes July 19th 05 10:02 PM

Tunnel damage

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, the cable run suffered from extensive damage. Don't forget that even
once the signalling cables have been replaced, extensive testing needs to be
carried out to ensure the rewiring is done correctly. Luckily, most of
Aldgate was resignalled during the late 1980s so the diagrams should be
available.

Martin Underwood July 19th 05 10:03 PM

Tunnel damage

"mtveurope" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just read this from the tube's website on the ask tube section
"Question

When will the Tubes be returning to normal after the events of 7 July?

Answer

We will not be in a position to add to the current level of service on
the Metropolitan, Circle, District and Hammersmith & City lines for a
number of days.

The service on the Piccadilly line will remain suspended between Arnos
Grove and Hyde Park Corner for the foreseeable future.

Following agreement with the Police, the Victoria line is now stopping
at King's Cross/St Pancras. The Northern line will start stopping at
King's Cross/St Pancras again from Monday 17 July."

Why is so much of the Piccadilly line closed? I'd have thought they could
run trains to within a station or so either side of the blockage. Or does
the damage to the cable between KX and RS have a knock-on effect on *all* of
the section north of KX? Is it a matter of where there are crossovers to
allow southbound trains to turn back at (say) KX to return north? You'd
think that at least Arnos Grove to Finsbury Park could be run, so as to feed
outlying passengers into the Victoria line and the NR lines into KX and
Moorgate.

Loony Tune July 19th 05 10:40 PM

Tunnel damage

"mtveurope" wrote in message
ups.com...
by the way... if they only have problem with the cables why does circle
will be working soon? does that line don't have cables? (I know it's
not so close to the train, but they're still there, don't they?

Pedro.

Different signalling sections. The rest of the line can work (i.e. the rest
of the Pic) but not the affected areas.

Loony T

Robert Woolley July 19th 05 10:40 PM

Tunnel damage

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:03:24 +0100, "Martin Underwood"
wrote:

"mtveurope" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Depends on the location of crossovers.

The crime scene is very close to the trailing crossover just south of
Kings Cross hence the closure.

There are no other crossovers between Arnos and Hyde Park Corner.

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

Loony Tune July 19th 05 10:44 PM

Tunnel damage

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
"mtveurope" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Not knowing the line geography (except it goes to Heathrow) I'd say it's to
do with reversing points. I'm sure that these are the most time efficient
places to reverse. Maybe there's sidings or cross overs to enable a quick
turn round and thus still give a reasonable service to the rest of the line.

Loony T

Colin Rosenstiel July 19th 05 11:42 PM

Tunnel damage

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

Half of the train at KX has been removed to Cockfosters depot while I

am
told the Edgware Road carriages were being taken away by low loader
today having been craned out.

How many cars were removed by rail Earlier reports said that the rear
four cars of the Piccadilly train would be removed by rail towards
King's Cross while presumably the rear three car unit would have been
the simplest. The Circle trains are two-car units so at least one of
them should have been able to be removed by rail.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Roland Perry July 20th 05 06:47 AM

Tunnel damage

In message .com, at
14:22:07 on Tue, 19 Jul 2005, remarked:
It took almost 1 year to the day for the #1 train to run under the WTC
site.

A rather different kind of damage.

I agree with some earlier posters that the Northern Line incident at
Camden Town (where a train hit the tunnel wall at a junction) seems to
provide the most realistic equivalent. And don't forget that the Central
Line train that derailed (at Chancery Lane?) damaged the tunnel and
platform in the process. How long did that take to repair (rather than
understanding what was wrong with the trains)?

Roland Perry July 20th 05 06:52 AM

Tunnel damage

In message , at 23:40:28 on
Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Robert Woolley
remarked:
The crime scene is very close to the trailing crossover just south of
Kings Cross hence the closure.

There are no other crossovers between Arnos and Hyde Park Corner.

Why can't they run a "one train on the line" shuttle service on both the
tracks simultaneously? Over strategic sections: eg from Green Park to
Holborn and back. And Kings Cross to Finsbury Park and back.

Or is the reduced capacity that would offer actually worse than running
nothing at all?

Mike Bristow July 20th 05 07:14 AM

Tunnel damage

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
Or is the reduced capacity that would offer actually worse than running
nothing at all?

I suspect that demand would so far strip supply that the platforms would
be dangerously overcrowded.

isolating the power so that work around Kings X may be tricky.

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver

Roland Perry July 20th 05 07:52 AM

Tunnel damage

In message , at 07:14:16 on Wed,
20 Jul 2005, Mike Bristow remarked:
In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
Or is the reduced capacity that would offer actually worse than running
nothing at all?

I suspect that demand would so far strip supply that the platforms would
be dangerously overcrowded.

I was suggesting fairly short runs, with one train in each tunnel. You'd
get about one every 10 minutes I suppose.

isolating the power so that work around Kings X may be tricky.

Just lift the rails for a short section south of the station.

But I agree that you'd have to see where the power feed was, and make
sure that was sufficient within the proposed schemes.

Nicholas D Richards July 20th 05 10:20 AM

Tunnel damage

In article , Robin Mayes
writes

Yes, the cable run suffered from extensive damage. Don't forget that even
once the signalling cables have been replaced, extensive testing needs to be
carried out to ensure the rewiring is done correctly. Luckily, most of
Aldgate was resignalled during the late 1980s so the diagrams should be
available.

Having recently retired from a life time of supporting, modifying and
replacing 'legacy' IT systems allow me to express some doubt. Most
'legacy' IT systems are less than ten years old and their documentation
invariably leaves much to be desired, no matter how good it was when the
system was implemented.

The two pointers that I can see to suggest there might be problems are
age and the fact that responsibility for maintenance has been
transferred to an out-sourcing company. When ever a transfer takes
place, there is a dreadful tendency to 'rationalise' documentation and
in so doing loose the essential data.

--
Nicholas David Richards -

"Oł sont les neiges d'antan?"

J Lynch July 20th 05 11:03 AM

Tunnel damage

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
"mtveurope" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Times may well have changed and this may not be an issue now, but one other
potential problem is that this also severs the Northern Line from the rest
of the underground network? The only connection between the Northern and the
rest of the underground is provided by the Kings Cross loop which is
(presumably) out of use for the time that the Piccadilly is split in two
like this? This was probably more important when Acton was the Central Works
but it also prevents engineers trains etc from reaching the Northern, which
could make track maintenance etc more difficult.

Clive July 20th 05 01:19 PM

Tunnel damage

In message , Roland
Perry writes
isolating the power so that work around Kings X may be tricky.

Just lift the rails for a short section south of the station.

But I agree that you'd have to see where the power feed was, and make
sure that was sufficient within the proposed schemes.

In the central section, a current section might only be a few hundred
yards long and is easily isolated by touching the telephone wires
together and laying down short circuiting bars in the section.
--
Clive

Patrick SIU July 20th 05 04:14 PM

Tunnel damage

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote:
How many cars were removed by rail Earlier reports said that the rear
four cars of the Piccadilly train would be removed by rail towards
King's Cross while presumably the rear three car unit would have been
the simplest. The Circle trains are two-car units so at least one of
them should have been able to be removed by rail.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Aren't Picc trains six cars? (3-3)

[email protected] July 20th 05 05:05 PM

Tunnel damage

Given that London has continued to function without a Circle Line, I
wonder how much thought, if any, has been given to abolishing the
service altogether? Line Controllers tell me that If one discounts that
caused by security alerts, late running has effectively disappeared
from the District and Met Lines, now that so much inner-London
conflicting flat junction working has ended. On my own recent journies
to & from work, it seems incredible not to lose up to 10 minutes
traversing the Whitechapel - Tower Hill section of the District whilst
waiting for the passage of Circle and H&C trains.

Patrick SIU July 20th 05 05:22 PM

Tunnel damage

"Brimstone" wrote:
Patrick SIU wrote:
"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote:
How many cars were removed by rail Earlier reports said that the
rear four cars of the Piccadilly train would be removed by rail
towards King's Cross while presumably the rear three car unit would
have been the simplest. The Circle trains are two-car units so at
least one of them should have been able to be removed by rail.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Aren't Picc trains six cars? (3-3)

Yes.

Then how come he said "Three-car" after "four-car"?

Richard J. July 20th 05 05:38 PM

Tunnel damage

Patrick SIU wrote:
"Brimstone" wrote:
Patrick SIU wrote:
"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote:
How many cars were removed by rail Earlier reports said that the
rear four cars of the Piccadilly train would be removed by rail
towards King's Cross while presumably the rear three car unit
would have been the simplest. The Circle trains are two-car
units so at least one of them should have been able to be
removed by rail.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Aren't Picc trains six cars? (3-3)

Yes.

Then how come he said "Three-car" after "four-car"?

Read it again. He was comparing what the reports said (the rear 4 cars)
with his view of what would have been simplest (the rear 3-car unit).
--
Richard J.

Paul Corfield July 20th 05 05:59 PM

Tunnel damage

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:42 +0100 (BST), (Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

Half of the train at KX has been removed to Cockfosters depot while I

am
told the Edgware Road carriages were being taken away by low loader
today having been craned out.

How many cars were removed by rail Earlier reports said that the rear
four cars of the Piccadilly train would be removed by rail towards
King's Cross while presumably the rear three car unit would have been
the simplest. The Circle trains are two-car units so at least one of
them should have been able to be removed by rail.

On the Picc Line I am sure our internal report said 4 cars. I assume
this was done to get the maximum amount of movable cars out of the way.
I appreciate this defies normal "logic" but we are not dealing with a
normal situation.

The Circle Line removal was explained to me as all cars being winched
out. Obviously only the one damaged car was taken out - as seen on TV.
I assume that the others have been pulled clear to allow the damaged car
out. I've not seen a report on what has moved and to where re the
remaining Edgware Rd / Aldgate trains.
--
Paul C

Paul Corfield July 20th 05 06:11 PM

Tunnel damage

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 07:52:12 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 23:40:28 on
Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Robert Woolley
remarked:
The crime scene is very close to the trailing crossover just south of
Kings Cross hence the closure.

There are no other crossovers between Arnos and Hyde Park Corner.

Why can't they run a "one train on the line" shuttle service on both the
tracks simultaneously? Over strategic sections: eg from Green Park to
Holborn and back. And Kings Cross to Finsbury Park and back.

Or is the reduced capacity that would offer actually worse than running
nothing at all?

The frequency would be so low as to be almost useless - a train every
20-25 mins in each direction on each track at best. That analysis
ignores whether you could deal with the situation at Arnos Grove as not
every train could head south from there so some people would still have
to be placed onto replacement buses as the trains couldn't carry the
likely demand. You also have the issue of trains from each platform
going in each direction with the platform indicators and station signage
not configured to be able to cope with such an operation.

You would get massive issues at somewhere like Finsbury Park - what
platform would you go to and when for a northbound or southbound train
if both Picc tunnels ran in both directions? The potential for people
interchanging to get crushed in the narrow connecting corridors would be
too great and the risk to staff of assaults from angry and confused
passengers would be an issue too. As a side issue thank goodness it is
not the football season at present - quite how match crowds for Arsenal
will be managed I dread to think if the Picc remains out of action for a
long while.

You'd also run into issues about evacuation in the event of emergencies
where such a different method of operation could create risks and which
would require additional mitigation / controls over and above existing
procedures. All of that would have to be developed, approved and rolled
out before operation could take place.

It is far better to get people away from closed sections of line and on
to alternatives that are able to provide a robust level of service.
--
Paul C

Paul Terry July 20th 05 06:13 PM

Tunnel damage

In message . com,
writes

Given that London has continued to function without a Circle Line, I
wonder how much thought, if any, has been given to abolishing the
service altogether?

I often think its a bit like the South Circular :(

--
Paul Terry

Roland Perry July 20th 05 06:52 PM

Tunnel damage

In message , at 19:11:48 on
Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Paul Corfield remarked:

The crime scene is very close to the trailing crossover just south of
Kings Cross hence the closure.

There are no other crossovers between Arnos and Hyde Park Corner.

Why can't they run a "one train on the line" shuttle service on both the
tracks simultaneously? Over strategic sections: eg from Green Park to
Holborn and back. And Kings Cross to Finsbury Park and back.

Or is the reduced capacity that would offer actually worse than running
nothing at all?

The frequency would be so low as to be almost useless - a train every
20-25 mins in each direction on each track at best.

Green Park to Holborn is only four stops. Say 2 minutes each. And 2
minutes to reverse. These are worst-case. That gives you a complete
round trip in 20 minutes, and with two tunnels a 10 minute frequency.

That analysis ignores whether you could deal with the situation at
Arnos Grove as not every train could head south from there so some
people would still have to be placed onto replacement buses as the
trains couldn't carry the likely demand.

I'm not proposing anything changes at Arnos Grove.

You also have the issue of trains from each platform
going in each direction with the platform indicators and station signage
not configured to be able to cope with such an operation.

Have someone at each station operating a sign that says which (of the
two) platform the next train each way is expected. Green Park to Holborn
would need five people.

You would get massive issues at somewhere like Finsbury Park - what
platform would you go to and when for a northbound or southbound train
if both Picc tunnels ran in both directions?

You'd need to use some intelligence to set up a suitable system. Why are
you so defeatist?

quite how match crowds for Arsenal will be managed I dread to think if
the Picc remains out of action for a long while.

You'd probably need to close my system for the duration of football
matches. Yes, I can be defeatist too.

It is far better to get people away from closed sections of line and on
to alternatives that are able to provide a robust level of service.

If the alternate service is that good, why have the original service? (I
detect people asking this question about the Circle Line...)

Paul Corfield July 20th 05 08:27 PM

Tunnel damage

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 19:52:27 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

[snip]

You'd need to use some intelligence to set up a suitable system. Why are
you so defeatist?

Roland - I was trying to give a flavour of the issues involved. I am not
being defeatist at all.

Whatever system is designed has to be easy for the public to understand.
Having watched the utter confusion at Kings Cross when the first train
on a Sunday arrived from Heathrow - this reverses as I am sure you know
- I am convinced a more intensive proposition would not work. People on
the arriving train were non plussed as to what to do for stations beyond
KX on the Picc Line and I also watched people trying to get onto the
normal westbound platform, which is locked up at that time of day, who
then refused to believe suggestions from me and station staff that the
train on the "wrong" platform is really the train they want. Multiply
that a few thousand fold and you have a mess.

I make my contribution to this group voluntarily to try to help people
understand. I really don't need criticism for trying to be helpful.
--
Paul C

Alistair Bell July 20th 05 08:41 PM

Tunnel damage

J Lynch wrote:
Times may well have changed and this may not be an issue now, but one other
potential problem is that this also severs the Northern Line from the rest
of the underground network? The only connection between the Northern and the
rest of the underground is provided by the Kings Cross loop which is
(presumably) out of use for the time that the Piccadilly is split in two
like this? This was probably more important when Acton was the Central Works
but it also prevents engineers trains etc from reaching the Northern, which
could make track maintenance etc more difficult.

Chances are that if they really wanted to run engineers' trains, they
could -- the Kings Cross Loop from the Northern Line connects to the
eastbound (northbound) track on the Picc, which so far as I understand
is undamaged. Hence, an engineers' train from Lillie Bridge to the
Northern Line could run as normal to HPC, then let the batteries take
over to get it to King's Cross. Assuming somebody can operate the
points, it can happily then reverse to Euston.

On the way back, things will be dicier since it'll have to run
wrong-line from KX to HPC (usually it would use the KX crossover, but
that leads directly into the crash site) but an engineers' train can
surely run in a full possession, and then you can do pretty much
anything you like.

So, short answer: the Northern isn't cut off. Nonetheless, I wouldn't
expect much to happen for a little while. They'll use that method if
they absolutely need to get to the Northern, but I don't see it
happening any time soon.