London Banter

-   -   Laughing Jackasses on the Railways (https://www.londonbanter.co.uk/london-transport/3304-laughing-jackasses-railways.html)

Stevie D July 27th 05 07:45 PM

Laughing Jackasses on the Railways

Uncle Fester wrote:

It is possible to buy a vehicle which is exempt from the congestion
charge.

It's a ******* finding parking for a bus.

I believe that a 9-seater Landrover Defender 110 is exempt from the
charge, by virtue of it having more than 8 seats. Not the sort of car
you'd think Red Ken would want to encourage, but there you go...

--
Stevie D
\\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the

Neil Williams July 27th 05 10:33 PM

Laughing Jackasses on the Railways

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:45:23 +0100, Stevie D
wrote:

I believe that a 9-seater Landrover Defender 110 is exempt from the
charge, by virtue of it having more than 8 seats. Not the sort of car
you'd think Red Ken would want to encourage, but there you go...

No, but a 12-seater LR 110 is exempt, as it's a minibus.

The definition of a minibus, incidentally, is a vehicle that has 9 or
more passenger seats *additional to the driver*. A more recent
Defender 110 that has 9 seats *in total* (to avoid the minibus
regs[1]) doesn't count.

Or we could, of course, all go and drive around in 17-seater LDVs,
which aren't quite what Ken wants to encourage one passenger to travel
in either. I'm surprised the exemption isn't based on a requirement
for it to be being used as a PSV (taxi etc) and not privately. It
does require registration at a nominal fee, but I recall it is
available to any owner or operator of such a vehicle.

That said, from past experience it's a bugger to park one in London -
too high (7' 6") for most car parks, but not welcome in coach parks!

[1] The original 12-seater Defender exists to avoid the car tax regs;
it doesn't sensibly seat 12 unless all are midgets[2]. How things
change...

[2] Midget adults, not children, because you can't legally use the
side-facing 6 seats for under-16s in the minibus configuration.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain

Ross July 28th 05 10:21 AM

Laughing Jackasses on the Railways

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 19:12:34 GMT, Tom Haliax wrote in
, seen in uk.railway:
"Ross" wrote in message

[...]
Like you say, we're into schoolboy-ish arguments, and there ain't
nobody going to win because schoolboy arguments are never won; both
sides simply go off in a huff.

No I,m not in a huff. I rather like a good arguement. End this as a score
draw?

You ain't and I ain't, but we're not going to change each other's
minds, which means a huff is an option if we keep arguing. So, yes, a
score draw and a handshake is a good idea. :)

fx:extends hand

--
Ross, Lincoln, UK

We're *not* afraid