Old August 7th 05, 07:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message .com, at
12:09:40 on Sun, 7 Aug 2005, Dave Liney remarked:
(One of the reasons it's interesting, apart from the tube, is that
distances "from London" were measured from here - rather than Charing
Cross as many people think.

I think you are mistaken:

http://rodcorp.typepad.com/photos/va...on_mileage.jpg

The first people who needed to know distances from London were the Post
Office, because they charged by distance (before the penny post).

There may have come a time when road distances were measured from
Charing Cross instead, but I have several maps from the early days of
motoring which confirm that (in effect) St Pauls was the original place.

Old August 8th 05, 09:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Roland
Perry writes

The first people who needed to know distances from London were the Post
Office, because they charged by distance (before the penny post).

When the Postmaster General commissioned John Cary to survey the roads
between post towns in England and Wales in 1790, Cary adopted the system
already in use on milestones (and used by earlier map-makers) by
measuring from various locations on the then outskirts of London.

For instance, distances along the road to Richmond started from Hyde
Park Corner, those along the Great Essex Road started at Whitechapel
Church, those on the Great North Road at Hick's Hall in Clerkenwell and
so forth. There are still a couple of milestones on the Upper Richmond
Road recording the distance to Hyde Park Corner.

There may have come a time when road distances were measured from
Charing Cross instead, but I have several maps from the early days of
motoring which confirm that (in effect) St Pauls was the original place.

I've also seen Charing Cross mentioned (although not by Cary). Many 18th
and early-19th century maps of London include concentric circles to
indicate distances from St Paul's, but I suspect this is more to do with
the fact that the cathedral was the highest building in London at that
time, and thus the most obvious landmark to use.

I suspect that St Paul's had a revival as the "centre" of London in the
early days of motoring, since it was as close as anywhere to being at
the starts of several main trunk roads under the 1920 classification
scheme.

--
Paul Terry
Old August 8th 05, 05:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

There are still a couple of milestones on the Upper Richmond
Road recording the distance to Hyde Park Corner.

There is in Twyford too, along London Road (the old A4)

Old August 26th 05, 02:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at
09:38:32 on Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Roland Perry
remarked:
In message , at 08:45:39 on Mon, 25
Jul 2005, Clive D. W. Feather remarked:
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the
north of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island
next to the entrance to the BT HQ.

Isn't it now the "Dental Centre" just beside the church?

I'm going by aerial photos that show a much enlarged road junction, with
a large triangular traffic island to the west. (View from north).

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/postoffice.jpg

If the old map is accurate, and the station building was next to the
original alignment of Newgate Street, then the station would surely be
under the traffic island, or the road between the island and the church.

OK, I've been there now and taken the following (not very well merged,
and surprisingly difficult arrange to have no busses in) photo:

http://www.perry.co.uk/images/postoffice2.jpg

As others have commented, it seems fairly obvious that the station used
to be under the ventilation shafts on the traffic island, rather than
inside the (brown) dentists office.