Old August 4th 05, 07:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Waterloo and City, and Post Office Station

In message , at 06:42:03 on Thu, 4
Aug 2005, Clive D. W. Feather remarked:
In the meanwhile, let me point at
http://www.davros.org/rail/lobo/cards/postoffice.html

That's the old Post Office, not the station though.

Old August 4th 05, 01:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
Annoyingly, I'm not going to be visiting that BT office for a few weeks,
but I'll keep my eyes open when I do.

The site of the old station is not hard to spot - there's a massive
fan-tower in the middle of the road system which sits atop the old lift
shafts.

Old August 4th 05, 02:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:43:24 on Thu, 4 Aug
2005, David Splett remarked:
The site of the old station is not hard to spot - there's a massive
fan-tower in the middle of the road system which sits atop the old lift
shafts.

It's the old station building that we've been concentrating on. Is that
still in existence, and if so, what does it look like now?
Old August 4th 05, 04:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Are you talking about Snow Hill Tunnel!! There was a St Pauls stop in it
before they built City Thameslink!!

Steve Cooper

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
In article , Roland
Perry writes
in the middle the "Post Office" after which today's St Paul's station
was originally named. The station building itself is shown to the
north of Newgate St; today probably in the middle of a traffic island
next to the entrance to the BT HQ.
Isn't it now the "Dental Centre" just beside the church?

If the old map is accurate, and the station building was next to the
original alignment of Newgate Street, then the station would surely be
under the traffic island, or the road between the island and the church.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old August 4th 05, 04:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Steve Cooper" wrote in message
Are you talking about Snow Hill Tunnel!! There was a St Pauls stop in it
before they built City Thameslink!!

The discussion has been about St Pauls station on LUL Central Line, which
used to have a different surface building and the name Post Office. The
original station on the Snow Hill tunnel was originally named Snow Hill, and
was later renamed Holborn Viaduct Low Level.
The LCDR St Pauls station was renamed Blackfriars many years ago.

Peter

Old August 5th 05, 08:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Peter Masson wrote:
"Steve Cooper" wrote in message
Are you talking about Snow Hill Tunnel!! There was a St Pauls stop in it
before they built City Thameslink!!

The discussion has been about St Pauls station on LUL Central Line, which
used to have a different surface building and the name Post Office. The
original station on the Snow Hill tunnel was originally named Snow Hill, and
was later renamed Holborn Viaduct Low Level.
The LCDR St Pauls station was renamed Blackfriars many years ago.

Peter

City Thameslink was called St Pauls Thameslink at first, wasn't it?

Old August 5th 05, 09:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"MIG" wrote

City Thameslink was called St Pauls Thameslink at first, wasn't it?

It was, but not for very long. It must have opened around 1990-91 (someone
will know the exact date), but was certainly City Thameslink by 1993.

Peter

Old August 6th 05, 09:27 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Roland Perry
wrote:
In message , at 14:43:24 on Thu, 4 Aug
2005, David Splett remarked:
The site of the old station is not hard to spot - there's a massive
fan-tower in the middle of the road system which sits atop the old lift
shafts.

It's the old station building that we've been concentrating on. Is that
still in existence, and if so, what does it look like now?

The station building was in a corner of the GPO's Central Telegraph Office,
which was bomb-damaged in WWII and semi-derelict when I last saw it in the
late 1960s. The vent shafts were obviously a later replacement when the
building was demolished and the road layout changed.

--

Jock Mackirdy
Bedford

Old August 6th 05, 10:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:27:32 on Sat, 6
Aug 2005, Jock Mackirdy remarked:
The site of the old station is not hard to spot - there's a massive
fan-tower in the middle of the road system which sits atop the old lift
shafts.

It's the old station building that we've been concentrating on. Is that
still in existence, and if so, what does it look like now?

The station building was in a corner of the GPO's Central Telegraph Office,
which was bomb-damaged in WWII and semi-derelict when I last saw it in the
late 1960s. The vent shafts were obviously a later replacement when the
building was demolished and the road layout changed.

Thanks. Clive thinks the building is still there, next to the church. I
suspect I may divert and have a look for myself next time I'm in town.

(One of the reasons it's interesting, apart from the tube, is that
distances "from London" were measured from here - rather than Charing
Cross as many people think. And it's almost - but not quite, according
to my current map - the southern end of the A1.)
Old August 7th 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:27:32 on Sat, 6
Aug 2005, Jock Mackirdy remarked:
The station building was in a corner of the GPO's Central Telegraph Office,
which was bomb-damaged in WWII and semi-derelict when I last saw it in the
late 1960s. The vent shafts were obviously a later replacement when the
building was demolished and the road layout changed.

Thanks. Clive thinks the building is still there, next to the church. I
suspect I may divert and have a look for myself next time I'm in town.

(One of the reasons it's interesting, apart from the tube, is that
distances "from London" were measured from here - rather than Charing
Cross as many people think.

I think you are mistaken:

http://rodcorp.typepad.com/photos/va...on_mileage.jpg

Dave