Old July 30th 05, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bob Crow

Yes, Bob Crowe wants more members period. Like the D.L.R. train
"captain" that I saw sitting in the front seat of a train this week,
studiously reading his newspaper throughout, merely breaking off for a
few seconds (how incovenient for him!) to press the "start" button from
his seated position each time the train was ready to depart. He would
not have noticed a bomb if it had been placed right on the seat next to
him!

Marc.

Old July 27th 05, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

nsj wrote:
I hear, from the radio news, that Bob Crow doesn't think the police
and security services are doing enough to protect Tube drivers in
wake of the recent terrorist attacks.

The newsreader hinted that Mr. Crow wants guards on Tube trains,
and that he is prepared to ballot for strike action if he doesn't
get what he wants.

He's also pressing for more staff at stations, and he's not alone. From
The Times this morning:

"Cuts in the numbers of bus conductors and station staff have made it
harder to guard against bombers, according to British Transport Police.
Andy Trotter, the force's deputy chief constable, said CCTV monitoring
had replaced staff in many areas to save money. "I am concerned about
the consequences of destaffing," he said. "I don't think you can be
surprised that undesirable people are getting into the vacuum.""
--
Richard J.

Old July 28th 05, 04:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:50:55 GMT, Richard J. wrote:

From The Times this morning:

"Cuts in the numbers of bus conductors and station staff have made it
harder to guard against bombers, according to British Transport
Police. Andy Trotter, the force's deputy chief constable, said CCTV
monitoring had replaced staff in many areas to save money. "I am
concerned about the consequences of destaffing," he said. "I don't
think you can be surprised that undesirable people are getting into
the vacuum.""

You'd think that would make it easy for the police to clean them up...
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p12161698.html
(ex-GWR Railcar 22 in fine form at Didcot in 1995)