Old July 30th 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Automatic tubes?

Anyone know which of the tube lines are now driven automatically?
Further is the system the same as was used on the Woodford loop and
Victoria line?
--
Clive

Old July 30th 05, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Clive wrote:
Anyone know which of the tube lines are now driven automatically?

Central and Victoria. And DLR.

Further is the system the same as was used on the Woodford loop and
Victoria line?

I don't know what was used on the Woodford Loop, but the two systems
in use today are different.

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver

Old July 30th 05, 08:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote:
Anyone know which of the tube lines are now driven automatically?

Central and Victoria, using different systems.

Further is the system the same as was used on the Woodford loop and

Victoria line?

The system used on the Central is different to that used on the Woodford
loop and Victoria line.

Some info here http://www.davros.org/rail/signallin...s/central.html

Old July 30th 05, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:
Clive wrote:
Anyone know which of the tube lines are now driven automatically?

Central and Victoria, using different systems.

Both lines, of course, rely on a driver in the cab to control the
on-board systems, so they are not completely automatic.

In Paris, Line 14 of the Métro has no staff on trains or, as far as I
could see, on platforms. Even at the terminus, if you fail to alight,
they take you into the reversing siding for a few minutes before
starting the return journey.

When I was last in Paris in April, there were reports in the local press
that Line 1 would be converted to automatic (crewless) operation, which
will involve the installation of platform-edge doors at all stations.
One of the stated reasons for the conversion was to reduce the number of
closures due to strikes. Bob Crow, look out!

--
Richard J.

Old July 30th 05, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Mike Bristow
writes
In article ,
Clive wrote:
Anyone know which of the tube lines are now driven automatically?

Central and Victoria. And DLR.

Further is the system the same as was used on the Woodford loop and
Victoria line?

I don't know what was used on the Woodford Loop, but the two systems
in use today are different.

Can you tell me what the difference is?
--
Clive

Old July 30th 05, 09:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

14 codes on the Central as opposed to four on the Victoria for a start.
The track circuits which carry the codes are also of a different type,
but the principles are fairly similar.

Old July 30th 05, 09:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

Both lines, of course, rely on a driver in the cab to control the
on-board systems, so they are not completely automatic.
In Paris, Line 14 of the Métro has no staff on trains or, as far as I
could see, on platforms. Even at the terminus, if you fail to alight,
they take you into the reversing siding for a few minutes before
starting the return journey.

That sounds to me very unsafe, in the event of an emergency like what
we had here recently, evecuation would have been much slower, plus some
stations need to have different 'dwell times.'

Old July 31st 05, 12:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Joe wrote:
Both lines, of course, rely on a driver in the cab to control the
on-board systems, so they are not completely automatic.
In Paris, Line 14 of the Métro has no staff on trains or, as far
as I could see, on platforms. Even at the terminus, if you fail
to alight, they take you into the reversing siding for a few
minutes before starting the return journey.

That sounds to me very unsafe, in the event of an emergency like
what we had here recently, evecuation would have been much slower,

Not necessarily. In the case of the Piccadilly Line bombing, people in
the rear five cars had nobody to help them until rescuers arrived along
the tunnel from King's Cross. The tunnels in Paris are mostly double
track with no fourth rail, which makes evacuation easier.

plus some stations need to have different 'dwell times.'

Maybe, but I can think of various ways of achieving that automatically.
--
Richard J.

Old July 31st 05, 08:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 00:35:10 GMT, "Richard J."
wrote:

Maybe, but I can think of various ways of achieving that automatically.

Certainly if (as is likely outside the UK) people are disciplined and
refrain from blocking sensors to hold doors open.

Something similar is used on bendy buses in Hamburg. The rear door is
on a timer with a sensor in the step. If someone is standing on the
step (thus, it is assumed, trying to board), the door remains open.
After the step is cleared and the time has passed, it closes and the
driver can depart.

IMX, it has only been when the bus has been crammed full and people
have accidentally stood on the step that this has caused delays. I
never experienced anyone doing it deliberately. In the UK, I expect
the scallies would soon realise...

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK
When replying please use neil at the above domain
Old July 31st 05, 09:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

could see, on platforms. Even at the terminus, if you fail to alight,
they take you into the reversing siding for a few minutes before
starting the return journey.

The HSE would be wetting their nappies over that if it happened here.
Don't forget on the tube we have to have the farce of a driver walking
down the train checking its empty and closing each carriage one by one
before he takes it out of service. Just in case someone should be
transported into dangerous territory known as a siding! Yes I know some
idiot a few years back fell between cars on a central line train after
he got taken into a siding and tried to get out while it was moving but
then
a number of people die each year falling out of windows. Perhaps we
should have a law that says all windows should be sealed too.

B2003