Old July 18th 03, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default the quest for safety

Yet you chose to enter the road to be an arrogant jerk.

No, he did exactly what the highway code expects you to do.

Have you ever tried crossing a busy junction?

Given that a lot of drivers don't indicate, all you can do is to look around
and hope that any driver turning knows how to drive.

If one flow of traffic was already halted, seems like a safer (and more
efficient) way of crossing to me.

Old July 18th 03, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Richard" wrote:

Yet you chose to enter the road to be an arrogant jerk.

No, he did exactly what the highway code expects you to do.

"I decided to take that moment to cross too, slowing down the fat c#nt
again."

Which part of the highway code expects exactly this behaviour?

Old July 19th 03, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Steve Moore
writes

The alleged 'right of way' of pedestrians is, in the real world, an
irrelevance; cars are big and hard, pedestrians are small and
squashy... You can't argue technicalities about "but I had the right of
way" once you're dead. Stop arsing around with theoretical arguments
about 'right of way' and just use the Green Cross Code/Kerb Drill to
cross the road safely.

__Steve__

40 years ago when I was learning to ride a motorbike (unlimited cc.
then) I had drummed into me the verse,
"Here lies the body, of Albert J,
Who died maintaining his right of way,
He was right, dead right, as he drove along,
But just as dead as if he'd been wrong.
--
Clive
Old July 19th 03, 05:35 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Cast_Iron
writes
Agreed, and unfortunately that attitude of "I'm bigger than you, keep
out of my way" is displayed by far too many car drivers. At one time I
owned and drove both a bike and a scruffy Bedford CF. When I was out on
the bike I got carved up, crowded and generally treated with no
consideration whatsoever by a great many car drivers. However when in
this large scruffy van, all the cars kept well clear.

As a third age person, I've no experience of bike's on roads, but it
sure made a difference to the car owning proletariat when I was driving
a white van about two feet above their eye level.
--
Clive