Old August 15th 05, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR to upgrade Woolwich Arsenal route

Sam wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
That said, they're a hundred times better than the abominations that pass
for local trains in the North:

http://hpbimg.thejetsetter.co.uk/rai...1newcastle.jpg

Ah, yes. Those 142s used to be my daily commute to school
Durham-Newcastle in the 90s. They weren't pleasant then - very
similar to buses inside, noisy, bumpy and with a tendancy to steam up
quickly on colder days. When the 158s were introduced we were much
happier! :-)

Sam

How comes you didn't travel on GNER/East Coast Intercity?

Old August 16th 05, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

Mizter T wrote:
Sam wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
That said, they're a hundred times better than the abominations that pass
for local trains in the North:

http://hpbimg.thejetsetter.co.uk/rai...1newcastle.jpg

Ah, yes. Those 142s used to be my daily commute to school
Durham-Newcastle in the 90s. They weren't pleasant then - very
similar to buses inside, noisy, bumpy and with a tendancy to steam up
quickly on colder days. When the 158s were introduced we were much
happier! :-)

How comes you didn't travel on GNER/East Coast Intercity?

Oh, we did sometimes - you could get up 20 minutes earlier and get
InterCity/GNER service to Glasgow, for instance, or wait 30 minutes
after school and get the GNER to KX home. It just so happened that the
'obvious' trains were 142s or TransPennine 158 services.

It was a rather good commute because of the wide choice of routes that
served those two stations - London-Newcastle/Scotland services,
CrossCountry Newcastle-Bristol and beyond, TransPennine, and two or
three local routes, too.

Sam