Old September 9th 05, 03:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster on NR

Jason wrote:
On 25 Aug 2005 08:15:43 -0700, "Mizter T" wrote:
I've overheard someone else being caught doing it by RP staff when changing
Tube lines at Zone 1 interchange stations ("I though my ticket included
Zone 1" - "No sir it doesn't" etc etc).

Some years ago, I used to travel from the northern end of the Victoria
line to West London, changing to the Piccadilly at Green Park.

There were numerous times when ticket checks were done in the
interchange tunnels, precisely for this reason.

Those aren't the type of journeys that I regularly make during rush
hour (when I guess the RPIs are more likely to be at such locations),
so it's interesting to hear you're experience that such interchanges
are regularly targetted.

Something I'm not sure I've ever seen is a ticket inspection on board a
Tube train though. This leaves open the option for people to travel
though zones on a single Tube train using a paper Travelcard which
doesn't have the correct zonal validity. Examples could include Bethnal
Green to White City with no changes on the Central Line, or Kennington
to Camden Town on the Northern Line.

Because of this and other notions about 'Big Brother watching over us'
some people may wish to avoid Oyster. I supsect that some NR stations
that are near Tube stations may see a slight rise in the number of
7DTC's sold, but no subsequent increase in passenger traffic.

Additionally, people with paper travelcards can't have journey start
and end times verified for LU "Customer Charter" claims - another
reason for some to avoid Oyster.

How very true. That's not something I'd considered.

Years ago, I had a friend who funded all his Tube travelling by
claiming for non-existant delays. His justification, which we all took
issue with at the time, was some vague youthful notion of 'subverting
the system' or some such. His 'subversion' obviously had the convenient
effect of saving him cash! Some years later, after he'd matured
somewhat, when confronted with his past actions he acknowledged he'd
been very much in the wrong.

It still occasionally leads me to wonder how many others out there
might have the brass balls required to be pulling the same stunt at the
moment.

Old September 9th 05, 11:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote:
Something I'm not sure I've ever seen is a ticket inspection on board a Tube
train though.

About 3 or 4 years ago I had my ticket inspected on a Jubilee line
train between Green Park and Waterloo. There was a small group of
people in plain clothes standing by the doors when I got on and as soon
as the doors closed and the train departed they whipped out little
police-style leather-bound ID cards and LT badges and fanned through
the car asking to see people's tickets.

Roy

Old September 18th 05, 09:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Mike Bristow wrote:
I could have sworn they did; I was obviously wrong. I won't bother donig
the sidestep to Walthamstow, but I will check out Barking.

Oysters cannot be recharged at Barking. (I was wrong: Eek!)

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver

Old September 19th 05, 07:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Oysters cannot be recharged at Barking. (I was wrong: Eek!)

You can recharge Oyster at the ticket windows of Fenchurch Street, Limehouse,
Barking and Upminster.

Some of the ticket windows have "No Oyster" signs on them. If you get to the
front of the queue and one of these becomes available you have to let the person
behind you go past and wait for one of the windows with the Oyster equipment
to become free.

There are no self service machines that are Oyster compatable at these stations.

The staff also get things wrong like demanding photocards.