Old September 30th 05, 09:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Waterloo & City Line to Close for 5 Months

In message , at
08:53:25 on Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Brimstone
remarked:
In message , at
07:41:09 on Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Brimstone
remarked:
How will they teleport them between the two lines?

Perhaps with a smidgin of enterprise?

Craning them out one car at a time, then transporting them by road to
wherever the nearest Central line depot is; then doing the reverse
five months later really doesn't seem worth while. Especially given
that the specification and modification level of the cars on the two
lines has diverged over the years - so they probably wouldn't work
anyway.

Perhaps if I had written it as "Enterprise" it might have got a better
response?

Ah, I see the joke now ;-)

Old September 30th 05, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:

Perhaps if I had written it as "Enterprise" it might have got a better
response?

That is logical.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p11857691.html
(220 028 zipping through a wet and misty Slindon in 2005)
Old September 30th 05, 03:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Wasn't the Waterloo and City line closed for a number of months
recently due to the Chancery Lane derailment?

Why didn't they do the work then?

A.

Old September 30th 05, 04:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Londoncityslicker wrote:
Wasn't the Waterloo and City line closed for a number of months
recently due to the Chancery Lane derailment?

Why didn't they do the work then?

Are you familiar with the customary response to stupid questions?

Old September 30th 05, 06:03 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Londoncityslicker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Wasn't the Waterloo and City line closed for a number of months
recently due to the Chancery Lane derailment?

Why didn't they do the work then?

A.

Er because it was closed for a number of days, not months?

Paul

Old September 30th 05, 08:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Richard J. wrote:
From my understanding its not a exact decrease in journey time
obviously you can't cut an approximately 4-5min journey by 2min.
What it is talking about is journey time capability (JTC) which is
a theoretical number which comes out the end of a stats formula
based on the it takes to get between two places and takes into
account things like door opening and closing times and real journey
time.
Andrew

I've read that three times and still don't understand it. If JTC takes
into account real journey times plus door opening and closing times, it
sounds realistic to me, rather than theoretical. Where do statistics
come into this? And my question remains unanswered: how are they going
to achieve 2 minutes instead of 4?

If the JTC is the expected time between ariving on platform A and
departing on platform B, they may achieve a 2 minute reduction by
having a train every 2 minutes (ie, an average wait of 1 minute)
instead of every 6 minutes (ie, an average wait of 3 minutes).

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver
Old September 30th 05, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Bristow wrote:
In article ,
Richard J. wrote:
From my understanding its not a exact decrease in journey time
[...]

The reduction that bowroaduk mentioned was in journey time -- "improved
journey time (circa 2 minutes)" -- not in service interval. Does anyone
have access to the WTT and can clarify what the current timings are?
CULG says the "end-to-end" journey time is 4 minutes, but I'm not sure
if that means from/to the Waterloo platforms or the depot.
--
Richard J.

Old September 30th 05, 10:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Apparently the trains are to be craned out during the closure for
modification.

Old September 30th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Old September 30th 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...

Apparently the trains are to be craned out during the closure for
modification.

That's the only way they will get out of the drain.
Andrew