Old October 4th 05, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster question

Hi,

Let's say I have a paper travelcard that lets me travel from zones 2 to 6
and Watford Junction.

Let's also say I need to travel from Euston to Watford Junction.

If I buy an Oyster prepay card and I touch in when going through Euston but
don't touch out (because when I get to WJ I use my paper travelcard), what
will be the repercussions?

TIA,

--
Akin

aknak at aksoto dot idps dot co dot uk

Old October 5th 05, 12:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 00:37:41 +0100, "Epetruk"
wrote:

Let's say I have a paper travelcard that lets me travel from zones 2 to 6
and Watford Junction.

Let's also say I need to travel from Euston to Watford Junction.

If I buy an Oyster prepay card and I touch in when going through Euston but
don't touch out (because when I get to WJ I use my paper travelcard), what
will be the repercussions?

A £5 penalty would be deducted from your pre-pay balance for touching
in at Euston NR and then failing to touch out.

Old October 5th 05, 12:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Hi,

Let's say I have a paper travelcard that lets me travel from zones 2 to 6
and Watford Junction.

Let's also say I need to travel from Euston to Watford Junction.

If I buy an Oyster prepay card and I touch in when going through Euston but
don't touch out (because when I get to WJ I use my paper travelcard), what
will be the repercussions?

TIA,

You would be charged for an unresolved journey, which is £5 on
National Rail.
To do as you suggest, you need to touch out at a station between
Queens Park and Harrow & Wealdstone (inclusive).
Old October 5th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Let's say I have a paper travelcard that lets me travel from zones 2 to 6
and Watford Junction.

Let's also say I need to travel from Euston to Watford Junction.

If I buy an Oyster prepay card and I touch in when going through Euston but
don't touch out (because when I get to WJ I use my paper travelcard), what
will be the repercussions?

I'm not sure, specifically. But doing this would not be a Good Idea.
You'll get charged too much.
Old October 5th 05, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Hi,

Let's say I have a paper travelcard that lets me travel from zones 2 to 6
and Watford Junction.

Let's also say I need to travel from Euston to Watford Junction.

If I buy an Oyster prepay card and I touch in when going through Euston but
don't touch out (because when I get to WJ I use my paper travelcard), what
will be the repercussions?

TIA,

You would be charged for an unresolved journey, which is £5 on
National Rail.
To do as you suggest, you need to touch out at a station between
Queens Park and Harrow & Wealdstone (inclusive).

Thw way to legitimately make such a journey would be for you to go to
the ticket office and get a ticket extension from Euston to the
boundary of Zone 1. Alternatively you could get a single to South
Hampstead, which would be available from a ticket machine, though it
might be marginally more expensive (a matter of pence).

The £5 'penalty' for incorrectly using Pre Pay at London National Rail
termini stations (those that accept Pre Pay that is) did not used to
exist, but was implemented on 25 September of this year. It discourages
people from subverting the Pre Pay system by using it to get through
the automatic gates when they had no valid ticket (either when arriving
or departing).

Old October 5th 05, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Oct 2005 04:26:38 -0700, "Mizter T" wrote:

Thw way to legitimately make such a journey would be for you to go to
the ticket office and get a ticket extension from Euston to the
boundary of Zone 1. Alternatively you could get a single to South
Hampstead, which would be available from a ticket machine, though it
might be marginally more expensive (a matter of pence).

I don't think you can get tickets to boundary zones from the "inside",
or to/from BZ1. The ticket office would just sell you a single to
South Hampstead.

Oyster pre-pay ticket extensions aren't really compatible with paper
season tickets. The only way of using pre-pay would be to travel on an
all-stations train and touch out using the readers on the platform at
Queen's Park.