Old October 15th 05, 03:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Stu Stu is offline

Default Waterloo Int future uses

SRA report on future uses for Waterloo International. None of the
options seem particularly compelling, but interesting none the less.

(4.7MB)

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ays_609903.pdf

Enjoy,
Stu

Old October 15th 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message .com, Stu
writes

SRA report on future uses for Waterloo International. None of the
options seem particularly compelling, but interesting none the less.

(4.7MB)

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/group...ts/page/dft_ra
ilways_609903.pdf

Thanks for the reference. I see that National Rail are saying that
Waterloo "is approaching the limit of its safe passenger handling
capacity" and this limit will be "reached in 2011". Clearly the
International Terminal could be very useful in alleviating this problem.

But what's the betting that the preferred option will be the short-term
one to fill most of the International Terminal with a quarter of a mile
of retail units that don't help passenger flow, and past which commuters
will have a long walk to and from their trains at the country end of the
station?
--
Paul Terry
Old October 15th 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

But what's the betting that the preferred option will be the short-term
one to fill most of the International Terminal with a quarter of a mile of
retail units that

Thanks for the link also. I had a brief look through the 80 odd pages of it
and there was interesting points in it. The above point I have copied is
also an interesting one which no doubt the powers-will-be will look at-
anything to make a quick buck eh?

The other main thing is what they do with North Pole depot? A purpose built
HST2 depot is an interesting idea but the problem is connecting it with the
GWML without comprimising capacity on that route. Hopefully they dont go
with a quick and easy solution of selling off all the land to non rail use.

I dont know if anyone else found this but I saw things kept being repeated
in the document.

I know the possible future use of the Internation Terminal and North Pole
has been discussed on here before. It does make interesting reading
though.

Mark

Old October 15th 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mark wrote:

The other main thing is what they do with North Pole depot? A purpose built
HST2 depot is an interesting idea but the problem is connecting it with the
GWML without comprimising capacity on that route. Hopefully they dont go
with a quick and easy solution of selling off all the land to non rail use.

The most sensible option would be a flyover somewhere near either end
of the depot - a flyover across the GWML, meeting the Acton chord as it
curves away from the main line, might be feasible.

Personally though, seeing as how North Pole is optimised for electric
traction, it could find use as the primary Crossrail depot in London.

Old October 15th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
Mark wrote:

The other main thing is what they do with North Pole depot? A purpose built
HST2 depot is an interesting idea but the problem is connecting it with the
GWML without comprimising capacity on that route. Hopefully they dont go
with a quick and easy solution of selling off all the land to non rail use.

The most sensible option would be a flyover somewhere near either end
of the depot - a flyover across the GWML, meeting the Acton chord as it
curves away from the main line, might be feasible.

Personally though, seeing as how North Pole is optimised for electric
traction, it could find use as the primary Crossrail depot in London.

Not only optimised for electric traction, it is forbidden to do
servicing work on diesel traction at North Pole. It has not got the
necessary environmental protection in case of diesel spillage.
Obviously this is not insurmountable, but considering the opposition in
the east over the depot at Barking, a ready made solution for Crossrail
now exists. Indeed it could also be used for North London line and
Watford line emu's thereby avoiding all those paths taken up with them
running to the depot at Bletchley, soon to be Northampton.

Old October 15th 05, 11:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Theres also the fact that North Pole is in 2 bits(one either side of Mitre
Bridge JNC) theres the possibilty for 2 depots. The document does mention
this.

Mark

Old October 15th 05, 11:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default North Pole future uses(was Waterloo Int future uses)

Indeed it could also be used for North London line and
Watford line emu's thereby avoiding all those paths taken up with them
running to the depot at Bletchley, soon to be Northampton.

I don't think the document mentions this possibility- I only read through it
briefly BTW(please correct me if I'm wrong). By all accounts it does seem
that it is a rather strategic location.

mark

Old October 16th 05, 09:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mark wrote:
Indeed it could also be used for North London line and
Watford line emu's thereby avoiding all those paths taken up with them
running to the depot at Bletchley, soon to be Northampton.

I don't think the document mentions this possibility- I only read through it
briefly BTW(please correct me if I'm wrong). By all accounts it does seem
that it is a rather strategic location.

mark

The document was written by the Strategic Rail Authority, so long term
strategy will therefore be notable by it's absence! I must not be
specific, but let's just say the real strategic importance of North
Pole has fallen into the definition of the rail network "having to make
best use of present resources".
I'm personally fairly confident that North Pole will not become a
retail park or blocks of flats.

Old October 16th 05, 09:45 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

I think they should reopen:
* Shepcote lane curve to passenger traffic
* GWML to WLL curve

Then why not start a commuter service from the west to Waterloo? If
Kensington Olympia was included it would make west london to the city a much
shorter commute.

Currently, for me, it takes 1 hour from Olympia to Liverpool street. I'm
guessing it could be cut to 1/2 hour with this service (via W&C line to
Bank).

Ian