Old October 31st 05, 01:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

Default Another! Oyster question

I wonder if any of the Oyster experts can offer a solution to this problem:

I have a zone 3-6 season ticket on my Oyster card that I use for work.
Obviously, I also travel into zones 2&1 for pleasure and will often use
pre-pay for those journeys and either pay single fares or get capped at
the appropriate rate. Fair enough. Often though, especially at weekends, I
will want to travel throughout the zones including use of NR services. So
what do I do? I'm not going to use prepay for tube journeys and buy paper
tickets for NR journeys because I'll miss out on the capping. If I buy a
paper zone 1&2 travel card then surely I'm going to have unresolved
journey problems when I touch-in with the Oyster in a zone 3 station but
use the paper travel card to exit a zone 1 station at the end of the same
journey.

Is there a sensible solution to my problem?

--
Fig

Old October 31st 05, 05:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

If I buy a paper zone 1&2 travel card then surely I'm going to have unresolved journey problems
when I touch-in with the Oyster in a zone 3 station but use the paper travel card to exit a zone
1 station at the end of the same journey.

Is there a sensible solution to my problem?

You should do as you suggest and buy the paper ticket. If you only touch in
or out in a zone where the season travelcard on your Oyster Card is valid
but not at the other end of your journey, it is assumed that the other
"untouched" end of your journey was at National Rail station where your
travelcard was valid (and there were no barriers/validators).

Unresolved journeys only ever occur when you only touch in or out at a one
end of your journey and you do not have a valid season travelcard for the zone
that station is in.

Old October 31st 05, 08:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 06:20:48 -0000, TKD wrote:

[...]

Can you just clarify for me please then, an Oyster card with a season
ticket doesn't always need to be touched in/out.

For example, the barriers at the end of my journey covered by a season
travel card are open. Do I need to touch out.

For example, touching in at North Acton, do I need to touch out using the
platform validator at Ealing Broadway before boarding a NR train?

First example is not to inconvenient, the second can be at busy times.

Old October 31st 05, 09:17 AM posted to uk.transport.london
TKD TKD is offline

Unresolved journeys only ever occur when you only touch in or out at a
one
end of your journey and you do not have a valid season travelcard for the zone
that station is in.

Can you just clarify for me please then, an Oyster card with a season ticket doesn't always need
to be touched in/out.

For example, the barriers at the end of my journey covered by a season travel card are open. Do I
need to touch out.

No.

For example, touching in at North Acton, do I need to touch out using the platform validator at
Ealing Broadway before boarding a NR train?

No.

First example is not to inconvenient, the second can be at busy times.

You only ever need to touch in or out if *some part* of your journey will be
using prepay.

Old October 31st 05, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Fig typed

Can you just clarify for me please then, an Oyster card with a season
ticket doesn't always need to be touched in/out.

That is correct.

For example, the barriers at the end of my journey covered by a season
travel card are open. Do I need to touch out.

Not really.

For example, touching in at North Acton, do I need to touch out using the
platform validator at Ealing Broadway before boarding a NR train?

First example is not to inconvenient, the second can be at busy times.

You only really *have* to touch in and out at the start and finish of a
trip which will use PrePay. If all your journeys are covered by
Travelcards, you are best opening the gates (if needed) with a ticket
valid in that Zone.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Old October 31st 05, 10:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 10:17:52 -0000, TKD wrote:

[...]

Excellent, thanks for the replies. Never again will I fight my way back
against the tide to that thing at Ealing Broadway after accidentally
walking past it.

--
Fig