Old November 9th 05, 12:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Default New book: Underground Maps After Beck by Maxwell Roberts

Graeme Wall wrote:

I've got a copy of the Beck book and it is fascinating. Maps and their
history are 'sexy' at the moment, viz the recent series on BBC. This sounds
like another jump on the bandwagon.

But who on earth is going to examine a collection of virtually identical
London Underground maps, where the only changes over several decades have
been the Victoria Line and the gradual creep of the Jubilee? g, d + r

mode = sad

I've been collecting the freebee maps for about 30 years, try and get one
each time there is a change to the network.

/mode

Save yourself £18.05 - as much as anyone needs to know is at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clivebi...tube/tube.html

Old November 9th 05, 12:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

I've got a copy of the Beck book and it is fascinating.
Maps and their history are 'sexy' at the moment,
viz the recent series on BBC. This sounds
like another jump on the bandwagon.

Not really, just the obvious completion of the trilogy started by the Beck
book.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 9th 05, 02:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

John Rowland wrote:
Not really, just the obvious completion of the trilogy started by the Beck
book.

Indeed. One would be surprised just how many people *are* interested in
these sorts of books.

Then there are the collectors who will buy anything so long as it's to
do with railways / transport / maps or whatever.

I haven't yet done so, but certainly intend to buy a copy of Maxwell's
book very shortly.

Old November 9th 05, 05:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Pat Ricroft:
How many people are going to have even a passing interest in a
"great collection of London tube maps"?

raises hand and gives an odd look
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I don't have a life; I have a program." --the Doctor
Old November 9th 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Ian Jelf wrote:

John's right, it is very good indeed. Anyone who enjoyed the wonderful
Mr. Beck's Underground Map" will enjoy this very much, too.

Anyone have a source for a good physical map? That is, something like an A2Z
with a track overlay? The few places I've tried have gone out of stock.

Old November 10th 05, 02:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

Clark W. Griswold, Jr. wrote:
Ian Jelf wrote:

John's right, it is very good indeed. Anyone who enjoyed the wonderful
Mr. Beck's Underground Map" will enjoy this very much, too.

Anyone have a source for a good physical map? That is, something like an A2Z
with a track overlay? The few places I've tried have gone out of stock.

The fold-out ones from the vending machines on the tube are like that.
Old November 10th 05, 03:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

"N.I.B." wrote:

The fold-out ones from the vending machines on the tube are like that.

I'll take a closer look next time. I didn't think those reflected the actual
track locations. Thx.
Old November 10th 05, 12:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote in message
"N.I.B." wrote:

The fold-out ones from the vending machines on the tube are like that.

I'll take a closer look next time. I didn't
think those reflected the actual track locations.

I'm pretty sure they don't.

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped