Old November 24th 05, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Vanishing spider maps

For some reason, all the spider maps of the Bricklayer's Arms area
appear to have vanished from bus stops - has this been happening anyone
else? Does anyone know why? Seems a shame to me, they were useful.

Jonn

Old November 24th 05, 03:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

That had occured to me, but there haven't been any route changes in the
area since the addition of the 168 last January, which was already
shown.

Old November 25th 05, 03:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul" wrote in message

I hate those spider maps! I can never seem
to find where I want to go and worse they seem
to be replacing the handy local road maps.

applause I am not alone!

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 25th 05, 08:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message

I hate those spider maps! I can never seem
to find where I want to go and worse they seem
to be replacing the handy local road maps.

applause I am not alone!

They're more useful than the local road maps when you're giving someone
directions though. I live about 15 minutes walk from the nearest tube
station - the easiest way to direct someone to the house is to email
them a link to the Bricklayer's Arms spider map, and say "get off at
stop BN"; then they can see which bus route is most convenient for
them.

The alternative is to list about seven buses, wait from them to tell
you they didn't catch any of that, start again, be told they haven't
got a pen, and go into a strop. At least, it is if you're me.

The road maps are handy as road maps but are almost entirely useless
for working out a convenient route by bus.

Old November 25th 05, 04:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 04:56:24 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

"Paul" wrote in message

I hate those spider maps! I can never seem
to find where I want to go and worse they seem
to be replacing the handy local road maps.

applause I am not alone!

No you are not. I recently had a spider map for Walthamstow drop through
the letter box. It is "centred" on Walthamstow Central which means that
it completely ignores route 123 which is a main trunk service and my
local route. According to the Spider Map it does not exist as a bus
route serving Walthamstow. Now I consider that to be so daft as to
render the whole concept utterly useless. Buses form a network and
connections to other services that run in an area absolutely must be
shown. This is especially important given that former long routes are
now typically not as long as they used to be thus necessitating a change
of bus for many typical journeys.

Give me a real bus map any day.
--
Paul C

Old November 25th 05, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Barry Salter wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 17:50:08 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

No you are not. I recently had a spider map for Walthamstow drop through
the letter box. It is "centred" on Walthamstow Central which means that
it completely ignores route 123 which is a main trunk service and my
local route. According to the Spider Map it does not exist as a bus
route serving Walthamstow. Now I consider that to be so daft as to
render the whole concept utterly useless. Buses form a network and
connections to other services that run in an area absolutely must be
shown. This is especially important given that former long routes are
now typically not as long as they used to be thus necessitating a change
of bus for many typical journeys.

Whilst the 123 doesn't appear on the Walthamstow Central spider (not
unreasonable, given it doesn't serve Walthamstow Central), it *does*
appear on the one for the Bell/Town Hall.

Personally, I like both sorts of map. The spider is useful for seeing at
a quick glance where the various routes serve (and interchange points
between same), and the geographical one for seeing precise routeing over
a wider area.

I agree. The geographical map is good for locating bus routes outside
major interchanges, but it is often hopeless attempting to work out
where routes go when you are already at a major location. I find spider
maps invaluable at interchanges like Elephant and Castle where there are
dozens of routes - you can easily find out which buses go where you want
and then cross-reference them with the appropriate stop. Spider maps
also actually tell you what the bus stops are on each route within a
mile radius, so you can actually work out that you want the 3rd stop
after Vauxhall or something like that.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7