Old November 30th 05, 06:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Piccadilly tonight - odd message

There were delays on the Piccadilly line tonight but I found the station
announcement at Acton Town most odd. Here is what it said (almost an
exact quote)

"Due to a signal failure at Hangar Lane - Rayners Lane and Uxbridge
trains will be terminating at Northfields".

Can anybody explain how
a) a signal failure on the Central Line can cause delays on the
Piccadilly Line?
b) How trains to Rayners Lane and Uxbridge which do not go through
Northfields can possibly terminate there?

--
To contact me take a davidhowdon and add a @yahoo.co.uk to the end.

Old November 30th 05, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Howdon" "davidhowdon[nospam] wrote:
There were delays on the Piccadilly line tonight but I found the
station announcement at Acton Town most odd. Here is what it said
(almost an exact quote)

"Due to a signal failure at Hangar Lane - Rayners Lane and Uxbridge
trains will be terminating at Northfields".

Can anybody explain how
a) a signal failure on the Central Line can cause delays on the
Piccadilly Line?

That's Hanger Lane Junction, where the Rayners Lane and Ealing Broadway
lines diverge. A failure by the person making the announcement to be clear.

b) How trains to Rayners Lane and Uxbridge which do not go through
Northfields can possibly terminate there?

Because they were diverted. Acton town is the junction where the Heathrow
line diverges from the Ealing/Rayners Lane line.

Old November 30th 05, 07:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Brimstone wrote:
David Howdon" "davidhowdon[nospam] wrote:

There were delays on the Piccadilly line tonight but I found the
station announcement at Acton Town most odd. Here is what it said
(almost an exact quote)

"Due to a signal failure at Hangar Lane - Rayners Lane and Uxbridge
trains will be terminating at Northfields".

Can anybody explain how
a) a signal failure on the Central Line can cause delays on the
Piccadilly Line?

That's Hanger Lane Junction, where the Rayners Lane and Ealing Broadway
lines diverge. A failure by the person making the announcement to be clear.

Thanks. I suspect it would be easier (at least for the normal
travelling public) to simply say "between Ealing Common and North Ealing".

b) How trains to Rayners Lane and Uxbridge which do not go through
Northfields can possibly terminate there?

Because they were diverted. Acton town is the junction where the Heathrow
line diverges from the Ealing/Rayners Lane line.

I suspect that is what was happening but usually when that happens they
say that "the Uxbridge branch is suspended".

Guess it must have been a new guy making the announcements.

--
To contact me take a davidhowdon and add a @yahoo.co.uk to the end.
Old November 30th 05, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 19:05:36 GMT, David Howdon
wrote:

There were delays on the Piccadilly line tonight but I found the station
announcement at Acton Town most odd. Here is what it said (almost an
exact quote)

"Due to a signal failure at Hangar Lane - Rayners Lane and Uxbridge
trains will be terminating at Northfields".

Can anybody explain how
a) a signal failure on the Central Line can cause delays on the
Piccadilly Line?
b) How trains to Rayners Lane and Uxbridge which do not go through
Northfields can possibly terminate there?

Brimstone has told you all the main info. One additional fact is that
there is a depot at Northfields so the diverted trains can go in there
and then head back to Acton Town to resume an eastbound path at the
appropriate time.
--
Paul C

Old November 30th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

David Howdon wrote:
There were delays on the Piccadilly line tonight but I found the station
announcement at Acton Town most odd. Here is what it said (almost an
exact quote)

"Due to a signal failure at Hangar Lane - Rayners Lane and Uxbridge
trains will be terminating at Northfields".

Can anybody explain how
a) a signal failure on the Central Line can cause delays on the
Piccadilly Line?

There are places on railways that are not stations. Just because there
is no *station* on the Piccadilly Line called Hanger Lane (and let's
get into another discussion on why there isn't one), it doesn't mean
that there isn't a signalbox/junction/crossover/signal/depot/siding
or whatever at that location.

The Central and Piccadilly Lines cross near Hanger Lane / Park Royal.
It's not inconceivable that there is a signal on the Piccadilly Line
called "Hanger Lane".

b) How trains to Rayners Lane and Uxbridge which do not go through
Northfields can possibly terminate there?

They mean that trains from Central London which should have gone on the
Uxbridge Branch to Rayner's Lane, have been diverted to go onto
the Heathrow branch instead; to avoid congestion nearer to Heathrow,
they are terminating at Northfields.

This presumably all means that there are no trains between Acton Town
and Rayner's Lane.

Richard [in PE12]

Old December 3rd 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
eranews.com, Endymion
Ponsonby-Withermoor III writes
I wish I had a name like that. But I'll never have the money.
--
Clive
Old December 3rd 05, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Clive wrote:
In message
eranews.com, Endymion
Ponsonby-Withermoor III writes
I wish I had a name like that. But I'll never have the money.

You CAN have a name like that. It didn't cost me anything.

Richard [in PE12]
Old December 5th 05, 12:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor III" wrote in message
news:1133635216.dcb3ab120cc14e83ecc32a6ec527cbaa@f e5.teranews.com...
Clive wrote:

I wish I had a name like that. But I'll never have the money.

You CAN have a name like that. It didn't cost me anything.

Richard [in PE12]

Didn't you used to be Zefram Cochrane?

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 5th 05, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

Didn't you used to be Zefram Cochrane?

I still am. I am also Alginon Hugh Fotheringay-Fotheringay-Hulme.

Richard [in PE12]