Old August 15th 07, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

Default Central line - new message

On Monday I was on a Central Line train that had an old map. It had the old
Docklands logo before it was known as the DLR. Also North Weald and Ongar
were on the map although Blake Hall was not. It was showing the two stations
as not being in a zone ie beyond Zone 6. I was quite suprised because the
stations have been closed since 1994.

Old August 15th 07, 11:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 15, 10:21 am, "Richard Jeeves" wrote:
Hi...

The central line trains date from 92.

From what I remember though they didn't actually enter passenger

service until 1995.

Does anyone know if 92 stock ever ran up the ongar branch?

B2003

Old August 15th 07, 12:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Aug, 12:15, Boltar wrote:
On Aug 15, 10:21 am, "Richard Jeeves" wrote:

Does anyone know if 92 stock ever ran up the ongar branch?

No, they did not. The branch was on its way to closure anyway (very
low patronage) and the implementation of 1992 stock and ATO hastened
its demise.

A more knowledgeable reader can provide all the details!

Old August 15th 07, 01:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Aug, 13:23, ctyerkes wrote:
On 15 Aug, 12:15, Boltar wrote:

On Aug 15, 10:21 am, "Richard Jeeves" wrote:
Does anyone know if 92 stock ever ran up the ongar branch?

No, they did not. The branch was on its way to closure anyway (very
low patronage) and the implementation of 1992 stock and ATO hastened
its demise.

A more knowledgeable reader can provide all the details!

I live in Ongar and work in Service Control (NOT Central),but at that
time WAS on the trains....and can confirm that on AT LEAST 1 occasion
a test train DID work,during the mid-day closed period,to Ongar,during
1994.
To this day,afaik,the stock's auto announcer still has programmed into
it Epping,Change for Ongar service,(button 92 from memory,but I may be
out on that!)
As far as the car diagrams go,they were replaced donkeys years ago to
eradicate anomalies such as the Ongar & Aldwych (shut the same day)
branches & other lesser items,
so I am staggered that 1 survives (car number?). I can only imagine
that the car/s concerned have been laid up/split up at Hainault or
West Ruislip Depot for
a longgggggg time and escaped updating by the depot staff.
Members might be interested in joining in discussions inthe various
Line Forums & other nefarious matters LUL on here :
http://districtdave.proboards39.com/index.cgi

Old August 15th 07, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

The central line trains date from 92.

From what I remember though they didn't actually enter passenger service
until 1995.

No they were definitely running in 1993 and 1994, before Ongar closed.

Old August 15th 07, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

explorette wrote:

As far as the car diagrams go,they were replaced donkeys years ago to
eradicate anomalies such as the Ongar & Aldwych (shut the same day)
branches & other lesser items,
so I am staggered that 1 survives (car number?). I can only imagine
that the car/s concerned have been laid up/split up at Hainault or
West Ruislip Depot for
a longgggggg time and escaped updating by the depot staff.

Were the diagrams actually removed or just covered up with newer ones?

Old August 15th 07, 03:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Aug 15, 2:13 pm, "Tim Roll-Pickering" T.C.Roll-
wrote:
Boltar wrote:
The central line trains date from 92.

From what I remember though they didn't actually enter passenger service
until 1995.

No they were definitely running in 1993 and 1994, before Ongar closed.

You sure? Perhaps 1995 was the year they were all finally running in
service and the last 62 stock ran then.

B2003

Old August 15th 07, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

The central line trains date from 92.
From what I remember though they didn't actually enter passenger
service
until 1995.

No they were definitely running in 1993 and 1994, before Ongar closed.

You sure? Perhaps 1995 was the year they were all finally running in
service and the last 62 stock ran then.

I was using them in 1993 and 1994 (when I started school in central London)
and new stock was definitely running.

Also note that until recently the Waterloo & City new trains were in the
Network South East livery, for which there was a very narrow window.

Old August 15th 07, 11:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15 Aug, 16:36, Boltar wrote:

No they were definitely running in 1993 and 1994, before Ongar closed.

You sure? Perhaps 1995 was the year they were all finally running in
service and the last 62 stock ran then.

92 Stock introduced dual running April'93 with 62 stock gradually
until taking over completely
on 17 February 95.
Further information,including a pic of one
with"Ongar"displayed ,here :
http://www.squarewheels.org.uk/rly/stock/1992tubeStock/
Further to my earlier remarks,I do recall from my days on the Central
Line,that units were often canibalised & raided for spare parts
and in consequence could in effect dissappear from public view for
many months.....not sure if this is the case today though