Old December 6th 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Bus jam

In message . com, Neil
Williams writes

Or how about going the full hog and trying pedestrianisation? London
is rather behind most other towns and cities in doing this with main
shopping streets...

The trouble is that many UK towns and cities have sufficient car parks
within reasonable walking distance of such precincts, or can at least
offer park-and-ride schemes into the centre.

I think there is very limited capacity on routes parallel to Oxford
Street (and none to the south of New Oxford Street) - if they were
widely used by buses, either resident parking would have to go or taxis
would be seriously inconvenienced.

To put it another way - I can't think of any simple solution!

--
Paul Terry

Old January 1st 06, 06:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 17:52:01 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

lights governing traffic flow into and along it. Oh and which has taxis
allowed into it at its western extremity near Centrepoint. It's madness.

Why do we still allow taxis unfettered access to bus lanes in London?
At junctions, I often find that there are so many taxis in the bus
lane that the queue in the bus lane is as long as in the normal
traffic lanes.

I can understand allowing taxis into bus lanes where bus flows are
only a few per hour, but in central London the vast number of taxis
often render bus lanes useless.
Old January 1st 06, 07:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

lights governing traffic flow into and along it. Oh and which has taxis
allowed into it at its western extremity near Centrepoint. It's madness.

Why do we still allow taxis unfettered access to bus lanes in London?
At junctions, I often find that there are so many taxis in the bus
lane that the queue in the bus lane is as long as in the normal
traffic lanes.

I can understand allowing taxis into bus lanes where bus flows are
only a few per hour, but in central London the vast number of taxis
often render bus lanes useless.

Within the City of London taxis are banned from bus lanes - something
that the Licenced Taxi Drivers Association have been campaigning
against for a long time.

Rob.
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk