Old December 18th 05, 01:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Putney Green

In article ,
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor wrote:

On the district line platform map at Mile End station they have
invented a new stop. On their map between Putney Bridge and East Putney
they show a 'Putney Green'. Is this LU being stupid, or is it just a
really old map still showing a now defunct station? I keep peering out
of the window on the way through, but can see no evidence of a disused
station. I think it's just them being stupid...

Isn't this one of those phantom stations that people put on maps, to detect
whether someone has copied it against copyright.

They do this on the London A-Z

And in other maps - they're called 'trap streets'. A trap *station* seems
like going a bit far, though! It's not as if LU jealously guard the list
of their stations ...

The Bakerloo line station at Warwick Avenue used to (I think it's been
covered over now) show a map of the line which extended to a never-built
extension in south London. It was wishful thinking rather than an
attempt to confuse passengers (or invading Germans).

and on logarithm tables.

Eeek. That seems like a bad idea, or at least would have been when such
things were actually in use for building things, navigating things, etc.

There are also fake entries in dictionaries and encyclopedias, known as
nihilartikels, which serve the same purpose. At least, according to
Wikipedia they do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilartikel

They could, of course, be making it up.

I would think the number of deliberately false articles is a very small
proportion of the number of accidentally false articles, in any
reasonably sized publication. Not of course true for Appleton's
Cyclopedia of American Biography.

--
http://www.election.demon.co.uk
"We can also agree that Saddam Hussein most certainly has chemical and biolog-

Old December 18th 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, David Boothroyd wrote:

In article ,
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Endymion Ponsonby-Withermoor wrote:

On the district line platform map at Mile End station they have
invented a new stop.

Isn't this one of those phantom stations that people put on maps, to
detect whether someone has copied it against copyright.

They do this on the London A-Z

And in other maps - they're called 'trap streets'. A trap *station*
seems like going a bit far, though! It's not as if LU jealously guard
the list of their stations ...

The Bakerloo line station at Warwick Avenue used to (I think it's been
covered over now) show a map of the line which extended to a never-built
extension in south London.

That'll learn 'em!

It was wishful thinking rather than an attempt to confuse passengers (or
invading Germans).

Indeed - the Germans would have been issued with this:

http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sill...dmapgerman.png

tom

--
Remember when we said there was no future? Well, this is it.
Old December 18th 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote in
:

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, David Boothroyd wrote:
It was wishful thinking rather than an attempt to confuse passengers
(or invading Germans).

Indeed - the Germans would have been issued with this:

http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sill...dmapgerman.png

That is a work of pure genius - translating all the British place names into
pseudo-German ones: Ochsenbrucke (Uxbridge), Steinbruckenpark (Stonebridge
Park), Steinmeer (Stanmore), Konigennenstadt (Queensbury), Konigskreuz St
Pankraz (Kings Cross St Pancras) Edmondshof (Amersham) etc etc. Not
forgetting Morgentonnen Croissant!

Old December 18th 05, 10:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Martin Underwood writes
Tom Anderson wrote in
i:

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005, David Boothroyd wrote:
It was wishful thinking rather than an attempt to confuse passengers
(or invading Germans).

Indeed - the Germans would have been issued with this:

http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sill...dmapgerman.png

That is a work of pure genius - translating all the British place names into
pseudo-German ones: Ochsenbrucke (Uxbridge), Steinbruckenpark (Stonebridge
Park), Steinmeer (Stanmore), Konigennenstadt (Queensbury), Konigskreuz St
Pankraz (Kings Cross St Pancras) Edmondshof (Amersham) etc etc. Not
forgetting Morgentonnen Croissant!

I have a different version where Vauxhall is "Opel"......
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old December 19th 05, 12:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
Tom Anderson wrote in
:

http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sill...dmapgerman.png

That is a work of pure genius - translating all
the British place names into pseudo-German ones

"Morden" should have become "Murders".

I am surprised to find that the Germans have a word "Rappen" which means
"black horse".

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old December 19th 05, 04:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

David Boothroyd writes:
The Bakerloo line station at Warwick Avenue used to (I think it's been
covered over now) show a map of the line which extended to a never-built
extension in south London. It was wishful thinking rather than an
attempt to confuse passengers (or invading Germans).

In 1938 the Underground temporarily turned over production of its route
diagram from Henry Beck to Hans Schleger. Schleger's first published
version, that July, wrongly showed the Central Line extension from
Liverpool Street already open as far as Mile End. As it turned out,
of course, none of the extension was opened until 1946, and Mile End
was never a terminus.

See http://www.ursasoft.com/maps/London/1938-ed2/1938-ed2-map-max.gif
or page 32 of "Mr Beck's Underground Map".
--
Mark Brader | Peter Neumann on Y2K:
Toronto | This problem gives new meaning to "going out on
Old December 19th 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote in
:

"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
Tom Anderson wrote in
:

http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sill...dmapgerman.png

That is a work of pure genius - translating all
the British place names into pseudo-German ones

"Morden" should have become "Murders".

Except that's replacing a German word with an English one, rather than
vice-versa, but well spotted, anyway!

I am surprised to find that the Germans have a word "Rappen" which
means "black horse".

I didn't know that either: I was expecting Schwarz Pferd.

There are some truly *appalling* puns as well: Speckbaum (Bacontree) is
Becontree, Zurucktuten (Back tuten) is Tooting Bec and Ganz Geborn (Whole
born) is Holborn.

Putney-Vauxhall via Kingston Neillw001 London Transport 0 May 10th 05 11:27 AM
Putney Brimstone London Transport 4 May 7th 05 05:57 AM
parking in putney stuvee02 London Transport 5 June 16th 04 06:51 AM
South West Trains over District Line south of East Putney Martin J London Transport 2 February 17th 04 06:40 AM
Enfield to Putney - which route? AstraVanMan London Transport 28 September 16th 03 01:03 AM