Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 21st 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "Extra" buses

Perhaps those in the know on this forum can explain to me the purpose
of some buses (and I have seen them on routes 28 and 295, both operated
from Westbourne Park Garage) this week having the word "EXTRA" in the
ultimate destination panel.

Obviously, I understand the concept of "extra" buses, but surely this
is something that would be reflected in the running number, and of
interest to bus inspectors on the route, but of no interest or
relevance to passengers who want to know where the bus is actually
going!

So, when "via points" are finally abolished from all London buses, as
the disabled lobby seems to be achieving, some buses will merely have
a route number on display and the word "EXTRA", thus providing no
useful information for the hapless ordinary passenger. What a way we
have come from London's buses offering an unparallelled wealth of route
information.

Marc.