Old January 3rd 06, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New fares and Oyster

For those who remember the thread about the new fare structure penalising outsiders and TOC passengers I discovered an unanticipated further factor at East Putney this morning.

Last year I bought only two tube singles, the two I had bought to date when the thread was going. This morning I had to buy a £3 single because I had to stay in London last night (to meet my aged mother at Heathrow). It probably won't happen again all year so no thought of buying an Oyster card.

When I got to East Putney station shortly after 8:30 this morning I was glad of my decision. The only way top buy a ticket without a massive queue was from one of three simple cash-only machines with just two people at them. The queue (combined) for the ticket windows and Oyster capable machine was almost down to the Upper Richmond Road.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old January 3rd 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 16:47 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

For those who remember the thread about the new fare structure
penalising outsiders and TOC passengers I discovered an
unanticipated further factor at East Putney this morning.

Yes, we remember well how you failed to acknowledge that the only
people that would be "penalised" would be the ones who self-evidently
wanted to be.

Last year I bought only two tube singles, the two I had bought to
date when the thread was going. This morning I had to buy a £3 single
because I had to stay in London last night (to meet my aged mother at
Heathrow). It probably won't happen again all year so no thought of
buying an Oyster card.

Nose. Spite. Face.

When I got to East Putney station shortly after 8:30 this morning I
was glad of my decision. The only way top buy a ticket without a
massive queue was from one of three simple cash-only machines with
just two people at them. The queue (combined) for the ticket windows
and Oyster capable machine was almost down to the Upper Richmond Road.

It never occurred to you that that is because for many people it will
have been their first day back at work after the Xmas break,
exacerbating the usual "after weekend" queue of people renewing their
Travelcards?

Of course, if you'd bought an Oyster card the day before, and put a
fiver Pre-Pay on it, you wouldn't have had to queue at all, but then
you also wouldn't have been able to enjoy your usual act of public
self-flagellation.
--
Nick Cooper

The London Underground at War, and in Films & TV:
http://www.nickcooper.org.uk/
Old January 3rd 06, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

[...]

The New fares are a rip off

Old January 3rd 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 20:19:31 -0000, "Beano"
wrote:

"Nick Cooper" wrote in
message ...
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

[...]

Why, is it all a class hatred-inspired capitalist plot?

Old January 3rd 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

For those who remember the thread about the new fare structure penalising
outsiders and TOC passengers I discovered an unanticipated further factor
at East Putney this morning.

Last year I bought only two tube singles, the two I had bought to date
when the thread was going. This morning I had to buy a £3 single because I
had to stay in London last night (to meet my aged mother at Heathrow). It
probably won't happen again all year so no thought of buying an Oyster
card.

When I got to East Putney station shortly after 8:30 this morning I was
glad of my decision. The only way top buy a ticket without a massive queue
was from one of three simple cash-only machines with just two people at
them. The queue (combined) for the ticket windows and Oyster capable
machine was almost down to the Upper Richmond Road.

I bought an Oyster card at East Putney this morning but not from the
station. By the time I got to it (10:45am) the ticket office was
closed. So I went to a newsagent nearly opposite (about 50yd towards
Putney High Street) and got one in there whilst having a pleasant chat
to the owner.

If a supermarket put the price of bread up by 50% there would be uproar. A
zone one single ticket has gone from £2 to £3. This is will rip off tourists
and occasional tube users. Surely you can see this is extortionate.

Old January 3rd 06, 08:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:42:45 -0000, "Beano"
wrote:

.. .
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

[...]

Surely you'd have to be stupid to not see that getting an Oyster card
makes all the "rip off" bull**** disappear. Actually, _you_ probably
can't....

Old January 3rd 06, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

For those who remember the thread about the new fare structure
penalising outsiders and TOC passengers I discovered an
unanticipated further factor at East Putney this morning.

Yes, we remember well how you failed to acknowledge that the only
people that would be "penalised" would be the ones who self-evidently
wanted to be.

Last year I bought only two tube singles, the two I had bought to
date when the thread was going. This morning I had to buy a £3 single
because I had to stay in London last night (to meet my aged mother at
Heathrow). It probably won't happen again all year so no thought of
buying an Oyster card.

Nose. Spite. Face.

You Londoners just don't understand us provincials do you?

When I got to East Putney station shortly after 8:30 this morning I
was glad of my decision. The only way top buy a ticket without a
massive queue was from one of three simple cash-only machines with
just two people at them. The queue (combined) for the ticket windows
and Oyster capable machine was almost down to the Upper Richmond

Road.

It never occurred to you that that is because for many people it will
have been their first day back at work after the Xmas break,
exacerbating the usual "after weekend" queue of people renewing their
Travelcards?

No, because I travel very rarely on the Underground at that time of the morning. In fact it can't have been very busy because I got a seat at East Putney and then again at Earl's Court, almost unprecedented. The Wimbledon branch "City" train had to wait to let two Ealing/Richmonds pass it at Earl's Court.

Of course, if you'd bought an Oyster card the day before, and put a
fiver Pre-Pay on it, you wouldn't have had to queue at all, but then
you also wouldn't have been able to enjoy your usual act of public
self-flagellation.

I was in Cambridge the day before until after the East Putney ticket office closed. I had a Cambridge-U12 saver return but couldn't use it before 10 this morning anyway. I'd have used my bike but for the weather forecast, and getting up at 4 am.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 4th 06, 12:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 22:41 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

I was in Cambridge the day before until after the East Putney ticket
office closed. I had a Cambridge-U12 saver return but couldn't use it
before 10 this morning anyway.

You might well be able to use the U12 part before 10am. I'd at least
give it a try in the barriers.