Old January 7th 06, 06:21 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Dynamic Paris Metro map

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/cv/carteparis.php

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old January 8th 06, 04:36 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Hans-Joachim Zierke wrote:
Information content of that page is shown he

http://zierke.com/tmp/RATP_too_dumb_for_the_net.png

You need the Macromedia Flash plug-in. Did you click on the "Install
Missing Plugins..." button? However, I've noticed some comment on the
web about problems running Flash with Firefox.

--
Richard J.

Old January 8th 06, 11:17 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Hans-Joachim Zierke wrote:
Richard J. schrieb:

You need the Macromedia Flash plug-in. Did you click on the
"Install Missing Plugins..." button? However, I've noticed
some comment on the web about problems running Flash with
Firefox.

Of course I didn't. Only fools click every button along their way
in the Internet.

Jeez, I was only trying to help. I didn't suggest that you clicked
*every* button, just the one that indicated that it would solve the
problem of missing content that you reported.

If you need special software or scripts to show me something,
install that on /your/ computer, and show me the result. Never
ask me to install something on /my/ computer, because I won't.

So how did Firefox get installed? You must have decided you needed it
to see things on the web. Well, you've just discovered it can't see
everything on the web. The information content on the RATP page is
there for you to read if you install the software that can see it. If
you don't want to do that, feel free to bask in your deprivation, but
please don't come bleating about it here unless you are prepared to
accept reasonable advice.
--
Richard J.

Old January 8th 06, 11:55 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Hans-Joachim Zierke wrote:

Richard J. schrieb:

You need the Macromedia Flash plug-in. Did you click on the "Install
Missing Plugins..." button? However, I've noticed some comment on the
web about problems running Flash with Firefox.

Of course I didn't. Only fools click every button along their way in the
Internet.

Indeed. And only fools refuse to click every button. That said ...

If you need special software or scripts to show me something, install
that on /your/ computer, and show me the result. Never ask me to install
something on /my/ computer, because I won't.

.... a sound principle. The RATP site is gratuitous flashturbation - it
could have been done with an image, a client-side imagemap and good
old-fashioned links, which would work on every graphical browser since
Mosaic 2.1.0, with a layer of javascript/DHTML to do fancy popups and
animations on new-fangled browsers.

That's the most simple rule for safe surfin', and because I follow this
rule, I don't have to whine and cry about viruses and trojans and
spyware and whatever. If used intelligently, the Internet is a very safe
place.

Er, you're also running linux. How many viruses, trojans and works
of spyware are there for linux? So how many would you be getting if you'd
installed every plugin you could lay your hands on?

And anyway, how many viruses, trojans and works of spyware are there that
invade via flash? Would installing flash really be such a bad thing, or
are you just being an obstreperous linux geek?

P.S.: I'm quite sure that RATP would be stupid enough to have guided me
to a Windows Plugin.

Typically, sites just link to http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer/
or something, which auto-detects your platform. Whilst the RATP are
clearly trying too hard, managing to screw that up would take special
talent.

tom

--
Magic of a sufficiently advanced form is indistinguishable from science