Old November 6th 03, 05:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default OT - Paris Metro...

I know all about the Underground, or at least a lot about it, with regards
to zones and travelcards, and the most economical way of getting from A to
B. Is there such a site that explains the same for the Paris Metro,
preferably in English?

Marcus

Old November 6th 03, 07:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

http://www.ratp.fr/ and select English as the language option.
--
Paul C
Admits to Working for London Underground!
Old November 7th 03, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...
I know all about the Underground, or at least a lot about it, with regards
to zones and travelcards, and the most economical way of getting from A to
B. Is there such a site that explains the same for the Paris Metro,
preferably in English?

What do you need to know?

The metro has a fare system very similar to LU, with zones (I think there
are about 6). Unlike LU, most of the *metro* is confined to zone 1 (which is
clearly identified on all metro maps). However, the RER forms a much larger
Paris-wide network where the other zones come into play.

AFAIK they don't have travelcards, but at 60p a journey, it isn't exactly
expensive.

Marcus

Old November 7th 03, 07:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:21:11 -0000, "Oliver Keating"
wrote:

"Marcus Fox" wrote in
message ...
I know all about the Underground, or at least a lot about it, with regards
to zones and travelcards, and the most economical way of getting from A to
B. Is there such a site that explains the same for the Paris Metro,
preferably in English?

What do you need to know?

The metro has a fare system very similar to LU, with zones (I think there
are about 6). Unlike LU, most of the *metro* is confined to zone 1 (which is
clearly identified on all metro maps). However, the RER forms a much larger
Paris-wide network where the other zones come into play.

8 zones IIRC but as you say they stretch a long way out from Paris.

AFAIK they don't have travelcards, but at 60p a journey, it isn't exactly
expensive.

Yes they do.

Weekly or monthly Carte Orange

Mobilis is the One Day Card - you get an ID card (no photo) which you
sign. It has a serial number. You can then buy your Mobilis in advance
and write the date of validity and serial number on when you want to
travel. I use a Mobilis every time I go to Paris.

Paris Visite is the equivalent of the Tourist Travelcard and can be
bought at the Waterloo Eurostar terminal. Also offers discounts on
museums etc.
Old November 7th 03, 09:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Oliver Keating:
The metro has a fare system very similar to LU, with zones (I think there
are about 6). Unlike LU, most of the *metro* is confined to zone 1 (which is
clearly identified on all metro maps). However, the RER forms a much larger
Paris-wide network where the other zones come into play.

Also, the Metro is flat-fare for the whole system. Zone 1 is the whole
city of Paris, but where the Metro does go outside of it, the regular
fare still applies. This means that for places like La Defense (zone 3)
that you can reach from Paris by either Metro or RER, the RER may be
faster but the Metro is cheaper. I remember that some years ago that
particular trip was about 5 francs by Metro, 10 francs by RER second
class, or 15 by RER first class (since abolished).

Within Paris, of course, the same fare applies to both Metro and RER,
and you can transfer between them on a single ticket.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Do not meddle in the affairs of undefined behavior,

Old November 8th 03, 04:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Oliver Keating
writes
The metro has a fare system very similar to LU, with zones (I think there
are about 6). Unlike LU, most of the *metro* is confined to zone 1 (which is
clearly identified on all metro maps). However, the RER forms a much larger
Paris-wide network where the other zones come into play.

*All* the metro is in zone 1, even when it serves stations in other
zones. That is, you can use a zone-1-only ticket to take line 1 from
Etoile to La Defence, even though the latter is in zone 2 or 3 (I forget
which). You can't, however, take a line A RER train for the same journey
using that ticket; you need a more expensive one.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Paris Metro chiefs back introduction of driverless Tube trains to London Recliner[_3_] London Transport 20 July 20th 15 12:02 PM
Dynamic Paris Metro map John Rowland London Transport 3 January 8th 06 11:55 PM
OT (sorry) Paris Metro help Ralf Hermanns London Transport 9 April 22nd 05 05:18 PM
Gatwick-Paris Henry London Transport 2 October 11th 04 12:57 PM
Need Paris Day Trip Advice. Laura London Transport 7 May 12th 04 06:29 AM