Old January 9th 06, 09:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Moorgate beyond Thameslink

On 8 Jan 2006 12:16:30 -0800, "Bob" wrote:

Extend the DLR from Bank to Moorgate, Barbican and Farringdon.
Terminate at cross platform interchange on existing LUL carriage
sidings at Farringdon. Direct link from City Airport etc.

Never work, too much like common sense.

greg
--
"Access to a waiting list is not access to health care"

Old January 9th 06, 11:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006, John Rowland wrote:

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

Is there a suitable/cost effective way of LUL using the additional
spare platforms at Moorgate station once the Thameslink services no
longer use the branch?

Put old trains in it and make it part of the Museum Of London at Barbican.

Genius!

tom

--
They Set Up Us The Revolution - Now We Have Set Up It Them Back
Old January 9th 06, 11:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

Is there a suitable/cost effective way of LUL using the additional
spare platforms at Moorgate station once the Thameslink services no
longer use the branch?

Put old trains in it and make it part of the Museum Of London at Barbican.

Still genius, BUT - is the line exposed enough to run steam trains? How
about a tiny, permanent steam-on-the-Met exhibit?

tom

--
They Set Up Us The Revolution - Now We Have Set Up It Them Back
Old January 9th 06, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Scott:
Is there a suitable/cost effective way of LUL using the additional
spare platforms at Moorgate station once the Thameslink services
no longer use the branch?

"Bob":
Extend the DLR from Bank to Moorgate, Barbican and Farringdon.
Terminate at cross platform interchange on existing LUL carriage
sidings at Farringdon. Direct link from City Airport etc.

"Jonn":
Isn't the DLR at Bank a) too deep, b) facing the wrong way...

I wonder how bad it would be to make it a spiral tunnel, then?
Or a backwards S-shape, since DLR trains can make pretty sharp curves.

(Just musing, not a serious suggestion. If They seriously wanted
to do this extension, They'd ignore Paul's original suggestion and
build the connection to Barbican rather than Moorgate. Cf. Charing
Cross station, Jubilee Line.)

and c) blocked by the bank of England's vaults even if those two
problems could be overcome? ...

Well, I don't know where the vaults lie in relation to the DLR.
Old January 9th 06, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mark Brader wrote:
Paul Scott:
[...]

Extension of the DLR beyond Bank *is* a serious suggestion, although
very vague - it was mentioned fairly recently to be part of a DLR
"horizon" study for possible long-term expansion of the network, so
they've been looking into it.

However, as others have said, I think it would be far too expensive to
take such a tunnel up to the surface just so it could use the old
Thameslink alignment.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7

Old January 10th 06, 11:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote:

Put old trains in it and make it part of the Museum Of London at Barbican.

Yes, stuff from say 1960 that has long since been retired from normal
service.

Oh, hang on a mo......

Chris

Old January 12th 06, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I would rebuild Barbican into two island platforms like Edgware Road so
it could regulate the flow of trains and hold them in the platforms
rather than as now, when there's a hold up, in the tunnels.

Oh and er.. better stairs and more shops at Moorgate. (Phew back on
thread!)