Old January 9th 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Gold Card discounted Day Travelcards from Tube Stations

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:09:14 +0000, PRAR wrote:

DERWENT Gold Card discounted Day Travelcards from Tube Stations
Sun, 08 Jan 2006 23:37:43 +0000, Barry Salter

The "rule" as stated in the current TfL Fares leaflet is as follows:

If you hold an annual Travelcard valid in Zones 1-6 you only need buy
reduced price tickets for accompanying adults and children. If your
annual Travelcard is not valid in all of Zones 1-6 and you are only
buying reduced price tickets for accompanying adults, you will also need
to buy a Zones 1-6 Off-Peak Day Travelcard for yourself.

Not really as it doesn't explicitly state gold-card discounted or
undiscounted...

PRAR

Indeed, this is the rule the ticket office pointed out to me. They are
interpreting this (either correctly or incorrectly) as the Annual
Travelcard/Gold Card holder is NOT entitled to buy and use a
discounted travelcard themselves. LU Customer Services are saying the
same.

If both sources are correct I'm intrigued why their policy on this
would differ from National Rail.

Thanks

Nicholas

Old January 10th 06, 08:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Barry Salter" wrote in message

My interpretation of it is that *unless* you have an All Zones Annual
Travelcard, you *MUST* buy a discounted All Zones Travelcard for
*yourself*, as well as up to 3 accompanying adults.

The National Rail wording from Section F of the Fares Manual states:

Annual Gold Card holders purchasing discounted Off-Peak Day Travelcards
for accompanying adults or children, must however purchase one for
themselves if their Annual Gold Card is not valid for travel in all the
Travelcard zones.

So even there it doesn't say that the Annual Gold Card holder is entitled to
the discount themselves. However, further up the same page of the NFM it
says:

http://atoc.org/retail/nfm/sectionf.pdf

"Annual Gold Car holders can take with them up to 3 accompanying adults at
the same discounted fare, and up to 4 children (aged 5-15) at the same flat
fare each."

and it is fairly clear from the rest of the conditions that the accompanying
adults/children get the discount *in addition* to the Gold Card holder. As
far as I can see the text that Barry has quoted is simply a belt-and-braces
clause reminding the holder that they will need a (discounted) ticket for
themselves if the journey is not already covered by their Gold Card.

When I need an all-zones travelcard for myself (annual Gold Card holder
valid on National Rail only) the ticket machines at Victoria (NR, not
underground) are quite happy to sell it to me ...

D A Stocks

Old January 10th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 10 Jan 2006 10:51:37 +0100, "David A Stocks"
wrote:

"Barry Salter" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanks for this link. I'll print off a copy of the relavant page and
send it to London Underground to see what they make of it.

Nicholas