Old January 18th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default More HEX Shenanigans - ripoff Britain?

In message
"d" wrote:

[snip]

The HEx is essentially a shuttle service. I don't think it's really
comparable to, say, Silverlink or First Great Western...

More like the Town Car then?

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.

Old January 18th 06, 09:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:01:03 -0000, Martin Underwood wrote in
, seen in
uk.railway:
Paul wrote in
:
[snip]
The concept of ticket offices and machines which only sell one
specific TOC's tickets is abhorrent to me.

HEX is not a TOC

All right. If you want to split hairs, maybe I should have said "the
TOC which runs the HEx service".

Which TOC runs it? I thought it was a privatly subsidised service

Is the company which runs it not classed as a TOC then?

No.

HEx is an Open Access Operator, like Hull Trains. They are both Train
Companies, but not TOCs.

A TOC is a franchise of part of the former-BR network - it's a bit of
terminology with a specific meaning.

And to clear up another bit of regular confusion, the TOC is not the
franchisee or vice versa.

So, for example: Central Trains = TOC; National Express = franchisee.
--
Ross, in Lincoln, most likely being cynical or sarcastic, as ever.
Reply-to will bounce. Replace the junk-trap with my name to e-mail me.

Demonstration of poor photography at http://ross.photobook.org.uk
AD: http://www.merciacharters.co.uk for European charters gripped by me
Old January 18th 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In message
"Peter Masson" wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote

HEX is not a TOC

The NRT seems quite content to describe HEx (and Hull Trains and West Coast
Railway Company for that matter) as a Train Operating Company. Unlike the
franchised TOCs they have no Public Service Obligation responsibilities,
but that doesn't stop them being a tOC.

OK pedant time, they are not Franchise Holders which is the generally
accepted meaning of TOCs in this context. Hence they do not have any public
service liabilities such as may be imposed on a Franchised TOC. Within their
own bailiwick and the limitations of the appropriate legislation they can do
what they like and can get away with, just like any other business.

Old January 18th 06, 09:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

In message
wrote:

Graeme Wall wrote:

There isn't a TOC which runs the HEX service. HEX is operated by HEX
for the BAA.

So you're saying that HEX is a company that operates trains, but it's
not a train operating company...?

It's a train operating company but not a Train Operating Company, the
capitalisation is important.

Old January 18th 06, 10:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Graeme Wall" wrote in message

It's a train operating company but not a Train Operating Company, the
capitalisation is important.

How much capital do you have to have?

Ian

Old January 19th 06, 12:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote:

More like the Town Car then?

The horrible spectre of a fourteen quid three minute ride in a PPM is
looking...

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683650.html
(51565 (Class 108) at Haworth, 15 Jan 2000)
Old January 19th 06, 12:41 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Martin Underwood wrote:

What a mess our rail system has become: some stations owned/operated by
TOCs, some owned by Network Rail; some services operated by TOCs, some
operated by companies that are not TOCs.

Ain't it the truth.

Maybe I'm biassed because I can remember a time when the railways were
operated as a single entity with joined-up thinking!

And summers were warmer, too... I don't think it was ever the single
entity, but at least all parts realised that they were supposed to be
working together, and the differences between the entities (let's call
them regions) didn't actually bother the customers.
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10907022.html
(56 071 at Leamington Spa, Aug 1982)
Old January 19th 06, 12:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

d wrote:
"Martin Underwood" wrote in message
By failing to remove those signs, they are making people pay extra
for something that they don't need to and thus laying themselves
open to accusations (in this thread) of ripping off passengers.

No, as the signs are information signs only.

Why are you content that these signs misinform in these circumstances?
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p13309736.html
(08 647 at Birmingham New Street, May 1979)
Old January 19th 06, 12:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , Ian F.

Of course, dropping the "road" changes things considerably. "Essex
Road" becomes "Essex", which is an entirely different kettle of fish

I know why visitors from the US do it; as pointed out elsewhere, they
do it at home. But it really annoys me because of the confusion it
causes. When in Rome.......

And you think that telling American visitors to London to behave as if
they are in Rome will lessen the confusion ... g
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683735.html
(142 003 at Chester, 22 Jul 2004)
Old January 19th 06, 01:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Chris Tolley wrote:

Graeme Wall wrote:

More like the Town Car then?

The horrible spectre of a fourteen quid three minute ride in a PPM is
looking...

spelling correction: looming

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p14104756.html
(25 198 at Warrington Bank Quay, 5 Jun 1985)

HEX Ripoff .... CJB London Transport 28 December 2nd 14 11:38 PM
Ripoff tube fares [email protected] London Transport 9 September 12th 11 06:21 PM
What a ripoff. [email protected] London Transport 45 January 11th 10 10:12 PM
More shenanigans with Heathrtow Connect CJB London Transport 7 December 18th 07 01:54 AM
More HEX & Connect Shenanigans CJB London Transport 9 June 13th 06 08:57 PM