Old January 20th 06, 09:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Default More HEX Shenanigans - ripoff Britain?

In oups.com,
Neil Williams typed:

Bob Wood wrote:

So if they arrived at Gloucester, how did they turn up in Oxford? I
don't seem to be following this very well.
:-)

Gloucester Green is the name of the main bus station in Oxford.

Whoooosh!!

--
Bob

Old January 20th 06, 11:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Graeme Wall wrote:
(Aidan Stanger) wrote:

They don't even have to be separate words! TNT is trinitrotoluene,

A pedant writes:

Tri-Nitro-Toluene, it is not one word

Au contrai under IUPAC rules, it is, and there are no internal
hyphens or capitals.

see, e.g.
http://www.acdlabs.com/iupac/nomenclature/79/r79_61.htm

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p14515951.html
(Barclay shunter Meaford No 1 (no TOPS class) at Embsay, 30 Apr 2005)
Old January 20th 06, 12:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
.. .

A pedant writes:

Tri-Nitro-Toluene, it is not one word

Au contrai under IUPAC rules, it is, and there are no internal
hyphens or capitals.

But you should really specify that you mean
2,4,6-trinitrotoluene
with commas and hyphen.

Peter

Old January 20th 06, 03:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On 20 Jan 2006 00:53:19 -0800, Yorkie wrote in
. com, seen in
uk.railway:
Ross wrote:
On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:45:38 -0000, wrote in
, seen in uk.railway:

[...]
A typical sequence of events might go something like this:

1. A passenger arrives at HEX ticket office.

2. The passenger sees the sign saying travelcards aren't valid.

3. Despite having a travelcard, the passenger buys a HEX ticket anyway.

No, sorry, your argument fails there. The typical passenger arriving
at the HEx ticket office isn't going have a ticket - that's why
they're at the ticket office.

Even at Paddington?

I'd have thought a 'typical' passenger would arrive by rail (either
'mainline' or LU), and therefore be likely to have a travelcard.

You're making the same mistake, I think.

If they're arriving at the *ticket office*, they're intending to buy a
ticket in the first place, which makes the argument being advanced
completely fallacious.

If they're arriving at the ticket barrier (if there is one) or on the
platform, then it's a different matter entirely.

[....]
--
Ross, in Lincoln, most likely being cynical or sarcastic, as ever.
Reply-to will bounce. Replace the junk-trap with my name to e-mail me.

Demonstration of poor photography at http://ross.photobook.org.uk
AD: http://www.merciacharters.co.uk for European charters occasionally gripped by me

Old January 20th 06, 03:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

A pedant writes:
Tri-Nitro-Toluene, it is not one word

Au contrai under IUPAC rules, it is, and there are no internal
hyphens or capitals.

But you should really specify that you mean
2,4,6-trinitrotoluene with commas and hyphen.

Oh indeed, but I was going for the simplest outcome. (Do you think the
MI5 scanning algorithms have picked up this conversation yet?)
--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p10589953.html
(37 668 at Newport(Wales), 9 Apr 1998)
Old January 20th 06, 04:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

Ross wrote:

You're making the same mistake, I think.

If they're arriving at the *ticket office*, they're intending to buy a
ticket in the first place, which makes the argument being advanced
completely fallacious.

If they're arriving at the ticket barrier (if there is one) or on the
platform, then it's a different matter entirely.

The offending message, as I recall, appears on the PIS displays
throughout the station.

Neil

Old January 20th 06, 05:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

"Neil Williams" writes:

The offending message, as I recall, appears on the PIS displays
throughout the station.

Therefore making some people who already hold a 1-6 travelcard to
believe the signs rather than the advice they were given earlier and
unnecessarily purchase a HEX ticket.
Old January 20th 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On 20 Jan 2006 09:40:19 -0800, Neil Williams wrote in
om, seen in
uk.railway:
Ross wrote:

If they're arriving at the *ticket office*, they're intending to buy a
ticket in the first place, which makes the argument being advanced
completely fallacious.

If they're arriving at the ticket barrier (if there is one) or on the
platform, then it's a different matter entirely.

The offending message, as I recall, appears on the PIS displays
throughout the station.

The argument being made by Pippa specifically states that the
passenger doesn't see the sign until after they've arrived at the
ticket office:

A typical sequence of events might go something like this:
1. A passenger arrives at HEX ticket office.
2. The passenger sees the sign saying travelcards aren't valid.

I'm not arguing against the idea that HEx should remove the signs
saying "Travelcards are not valid" when they are being accepted; I'm
arguing against the validity of the specific sequence of events as
posted by Pippa.

Old January 20th 06, 11:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.local.london,uk.transport.london

On 17 Jan 2006 14:03:27 -0800, "Ross Hall" wrote:

My understanding is HEX are not paid when the Pic line goes down, just
as Pic aren't paid when HEX (occasionally) goes down and passengers
have to move on to the blue line.

For engineering work acceptance, LUL pays HEX a chunk of money to
cover travelcards.

You're wrong.

Rob.

(also works for LUL!)
--
rob at robertwoolley dot co dot uk

HEX Ripoff .... CJB London Transport 28 December 2nd 14 11:38 PM
Ripoff tube fares [email protected] London Transport 9 September 12th 11 06:21 PM
What a ripoff. [email protected] London Transport 45 January 11th 10 10:12 PM
More shenanigans with Heathrtow Connect CJB London Transport 7 December 18th 07 01:54 AM
More HEX & Connect Shenanigans CJB London Transport 9 June 13th 06 08:57 PM