Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 21st 06, 11:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Verney Junction diversion

Had an email from a Geoff Cole about a Verney Junction diversion in the 70s.
Perhaps someone knows the date of this and could help (him) out?

Cheers (posted to uk.railway & uk.transport.london)
--------

Many years ago (in the early 1970s - I do wish I had noted the date) the
overhead catenary wires came down around Hemel Hempstead early one morning
and services through Hemel were cancelled.

Amongst the normal fast and slow EMU trains, there used to be a fast train
from Bletchley to Euston, non-stop I think, around 8 am.

Someone had a great idea and had a diesel loco fitted in lieu of the
electric one off the train went, over the Bletchley Oxford branch which was
then still used for freight and then down the Great Central into Marylebone.

It only happened once and by evening trains were working the slow or fast (I
forget which) only through Hemel but it was quite fascinating.

I guess the train used Verney junction. I remember turning south on to
disused tracks (I think only single track) with weeds all between the rails
and at very slow speed. Then on to proper used tracks and down through
Aylesbury, Amersham, Harrow etc.

I dont know whether it was ever properly recorded but some enthusiast will
know and I would love to know when it was.

Regards
Geoff Cole