Old February 10th 06, 01:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Help planning journey to Firepower and National Maritime Museum

I've tried to use TFL's journey planner, but it's a bit confusing to find a
route to Firepower. So, can anyone help me plan this days journey? [1]

We will be starting from Tottenham Court Road station on a weekday in early
May. First we want to go to Firepower, the museum of the Royal Artillery
(www.firepower.org.uk). If possible, it could be nice to travel by river
boat.

Later in the day we want to visit the National Maritime Museum
(http://www.nmm.ac.uk/). So we need to get from Firepower to there.

And finally the journey will be topped up by a chance to take the Docklands
Light Rail back towards the hotel.

-----
[1] We are staying for four nights in London, tips on what to do the other
days are welcome. Imperial War Museum and London Transport Museum are
already on the list

--
Jarle H. Knudsen
Kristiansand, Norway

Old February 10th 06, 02:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jarle H Knudsen wrote:
I've tried to use TFL's journey planner, but it's a bit confusing
to find a route to Firepower. So, can anyone help me plan this
days journey? [1]

Firepower isn't on the Journey Planner's list of places of interest. In
theory you can use their postcode SE18 6ST, but the JP's walk from
Woolwich Arsenal looks like the long way round. The Firepower site says
it's a 5-minute signposted walk from Woolwich Arsenal station, so I
recommend that you use Woolwich Arsenal as your destination in the JP.

We will be starting from Tottenham Court Road station on a weekday
in early May. First we want to go to Firepower, the museum of the
Royal Artillery (www.firepower.org.uk). If possible, it could be
nice to travel by river boat.

Thames Clippers run a service from Savoy Pier to Woolwich Arsenal.
Savoy Pier is quite close to Embankment Tube station, 3 stops south of
Tottenham Court Road on the Northern Line. River service details are at
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/river/timetables.shtml, though you would need to
check nearer the time of your visit after the summer schedules are
piblished. Make sure you check the Firepower opening times on their web
site; it's usually closed on Mondays and Tuesdays in the summer.

Later in the day we want to visit the National Maritime Museum
(http://www.nmm.ac.uk/). So we need to get from Firepower to there.

Train from Woolwich Arsenal to Maze Hill, or bus 177 or 180 from
Woolwich Beresford Street to the Museum (stop G).

And finally the journey will be topped up by a chance to take the
Docklands Light Rail back towards the hotel.

Good idea! Walk to Cutty Sark station, DLR to Bank, Central Line to
Tottenham Court Road.

[1] We are staying for four nights in London, tips on what to do
the other days are welcome. Imperial War Museum and London
Transport Museum are already on the list

Unfortunately, London's Transport Museum at Covent Garden is closed
until Spring 2007 (though the shop is open in the adjacent market
building). However, the museum's Depot at Acton Town has an Open Weekend
on 20/21 May, and there are guided tours on 26 & 27 May. See for
http://www.ltmuseum.co.uk details.
--
Richard J.

Old February 10th 06, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes

Thames Clippers run a service from Savoy Pier to Woolwich Arsenal.
Savoy Pier is quite close to Embankment Tube station, 3 stops south of
Tottenham Court Road on the Northern Line. River service details are
at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/river/timetables.shtml, though you would need
to check nearer the time of your visit after the summer schedules are
piblished.

Its worth noting that few if any boats run right through from Savoy to
Woolwich in the winter timetable - a change is usually needed at Canary
Wharf. Also, boats to and from Woolwich only run during the rush hours
(plus a few mid-day services on Saturdays). The summer schedule may well
be better, although I think the extension to Woolwich is somewhat new
and experimental.

To travel by river, it might be better to go to Greenwich from central
London - there are a number of reasonably frequent services, including
one from right outside Embankment station. Its only a short walk from
Greenwich pier to the 177/180 bus stop for Woolwich.

Otherwise, take the Northern line from Tottenham Court Road to Waterloo
- follow the signs for Waterloo East station and, as you say, take the
train from there directly to Woolwich Arsenal.

--
Paul Terry