Old February 16th 06, 10:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Silverlink Metro transfers to Tfl Nov 2007

David H Wild wrote:

I'm sorry, Jack, but there are **no** fast line platforms at Queens
Park, just those on the slow lines.

Sorry David - for 'slow' lines I was thinking 'DC lines', for some reason!

Old February 16th 06, 10:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

John Band wrote:

Are you sure? I thought there were DC line platforms (used) and WCML
slow line platforms (used only in emergencies and being discussed in
the context of this thread), but no WCML fast line platforms.

That's correct. For some reason I was thinking of the DC lines as the slow
lines! I've no idea why, I've used them on and off for over thirty-five
years! Must be starting to get 'senior moments' ;-)

Old February 16th 06, 10:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

David H Wild wrote:
In article ,
Jack Taylor wrote:
There are fast line platforms at Queen's Park but nothing is booked to
use them, nor has there been for some years. Silverlink County services
have used them in emergencies and IIRC some late night trains have
stopped there on occasions, usually when engineering work has been
taking place.

I'm sorry, Jack, but there are **no** fast line platforms at Queens Park,
just those on the slow lines.

Might be a question of terminology. There are platforms on the very
slow DC lines, and platforms on the "slow" AC lines, but not on the
fast AC lines (although I think one is an island platform that might be
able to show two faces, maybe with removal of fence or something).

But I was going on about a new connection from the DC lines to the AC
lines to allow trains from South Hampstead and Kilburn High Road to
proceed north without interfering with the Bakerloo. 458s converted to
dual voltage maybe (I'd rather see them anywhere but wasted on the ELL,
which can have the 313s and 508s).

Old February 16th 06, 11:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

David H Wild wrote:
In article . com,
MIG wrote:
I wonder how they will turn round trains from Stratford at Queen's Park
though? I would have thought a connection east of Queens Park would
probably be a less major work than fourth rail from Harrow to Watford,
and could be done at the same time, or just before to provide an
alternative while the latter is going on.

There is a crossover on the Queens Park side of Kilburn High Road station.
This was used, in the other direction, when the line into Euston was
blocked for a while. This means that reversing at Queens Park wouldn't need
any track alterations.

It's also got fourth rail and used by the Bakerloo the Bakerloo is
disrupted in the underground section (otherwise Bakerloo trains would
block the route to Euston as well).

That would mean platform 4 being used to reverse and platform 1 not
being used at all in normal service.

I'd like to see Silverlink Metro get (easily convertable) 458s and a
new connection from DC to AC east of Queens Park, with through semifast
services Stratford/Euston to Watford or beyond, keeping SH and KHR in
use. 313s and 508s could go to the ELL where windows are less
important. That could include the 508s from Kent, which could also be
replaced by the rest of the 458s.

(Can't believe the proposals to put 458s on the ELL. It's mad to waste
100 mph air-conditioned trains with good windows on a slow commuter
line in a tunnel.)

If 458s need to be reduced in length, the excess coaches can be added
to 460s so that Gatwick Express doesn't take up so many paths. Sortid.

Old February 16th 06, 04:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Jack Taylor wrote:
I'm sorry, Jack, but there are **no** fast line platforms at Queens
Park, just those on the slow lines.

Sorry David - for 'slow' lines I was thinking 'DC lines', for some
reason!

I had wondered if that was the case. There wouldn't be room for a platform
for the up fast line without moving the tracks.

--
David Wild using RISC OS on broadband

Old February 16th 06, 07:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 11:42:35 GMT, "Jack Taylor"
wrote:

John Band wrote:

Are you sure? I thought there were DC line platforms (used) and WCML
slow line platforms (used only in emergencies and being discussed in
the context of this thread), but no WCML fast line platforms.

That's correct. For some reason I was thinking of the DC lines as the slow
lines! I've no idea why, I've used them on and off for over thirty-five
years! Must be starting to get 'senior moments' ;-)

Aren't the fast lines at Queens Park also at a slightly lower level
than the other lines?
--
_______
+---------------------------------------------------+ |\\ //|
Old February 16th 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The Kent 508's are rumoured to be wanted back by
Merseytravel.................anyone know any more?

Old February 16th 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Kevin wrote:

Interesting that they say that they are going to bring in Oyster on all
services. How will this work to Watford Junc.
Could I get off Silverlink County and swipe through the oyster card?
How does it work on other shared lines like Barking or Upminster.

Kevin

TfL staff oystercards are already valid to Watford Junction (presumably
due to gradfather rights) and to get out at WFJ it's normally just a
case of showing the pass to the gateline staff and going through the
manual gate.

I presume these are also valid on Silverlink County services since I've
used mine between Harrow and Watford before without problems. Virgin may
be another matter though...

Cheers

Steve M

Old February 16th 06, 09:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

b9273m wrote:
The Kent 508's are rumoured to be wanted back by
Merseytravel.................anyone know any more?

Merseytravel are reported to be short of 508s but they have no claim on the
ones that they previously discarded. If they want them back then they are
going to have to enter into some delicate negotiation with both the ROSCO
and South Eastern Trains. It's possible that some of them may become surplus
to requirements at SET and that they may make their way back north but
nothing is confirmed. SET have a lease on them and if they say they cannot
release them then Merseytravel can do nothing about it.

BTW, as a courtesy to the *majority* of readers and posters who use these
newsgroups using newsreaders (rather than Google Groups) could you please
post, in future, by NOT using the obvious 'Reply' button but by going to the
'Show Options' function and then using the 'Reply' button from there,
quoting some of the text that you are replying to. This is a fault of Google
Groups, which seems to assume that the entire world uses it for reading and
contributing to newsgroups!

Old February 17th 06, 02:48 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 16 Feb 2006 04:01:10 -0800, "MIG"
wrote:

There is a crossover on the Queens Park side of Kilburn High Road station.
This was used, in the other direction, when the line into Euston was
blocked for a while. This means that reversing at Queens Park wouldn't need
any track alterations.

It's also got fourth rail and used by the Bakerloo the Bakerloo is
disrupted in the underground section (otherwise Bakerloo trains would
block the route to Euston as well).

That would mean platform 4 being used to reverse and platform 1 not
being used at all in normal service.

Or with an extra crossover, they could use platform 1 too and thus
have two platforms for reversing.

In fact ISTR talk of LU wanting to connect up platform 4 so that it
could be used by through Bakerloo trains, as terminating trains being
tipped out in platform 3 tend to cause blocking back along the line.
In that case platform 1 would be the sole terminal platform for the
NLL.