Old March 1st 06, 01:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Silverlink Metro transfers to Tfl Nov 2007

wrote:

I have often thought this would be a good idea though it would be
better still to have a rebuilt Camden Town with an underground
connection emerging near Camden Road (if the escalators are re-oriented
to face NEwards, it wouldn't even be be much of a walk. That would
create a feasible connection with both branches of the Northern Line.

I've thought about this too, but I'm pretty cetain it doesn't work. OK,
so you re-orient the escalators at Camden to point NE along Camden Road
towards the station. The horizontal distance from platforms is changed
from the current c50m south to a new 50m NE, gaining you a total of
80ish m N and 30ish m E.

This doesn't get you any further than Sainsbury's (the big shed on the
left hand side of Camden Road in the satellite picture):
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...4,0.010782&t=h

You've then got another 250m or so NE before you reach Camden Road
station (which is at the junction of Camden Road and Royal College
Street), including a canal crossing, which makes a subway a little
challenging. And if it's street level, what's the benefit for
interchanging pax? - you save them from having to cross the Kentish
Town Road, and that's about it.

Furthermore (and I think I said this before on this NG) the creation of
a new station about 350m east of North Acton, in the middle of the
triangle formed by the Central Line, West Coast Main Line and NLL would
be very useful - especially if the FGW/Heathrow Connect stopping
patterns were adjusted so that all trains that stopped at Ealing B
stopped also at this new station. North Acton and Acton Main Line could
be closed, as could Acton Central (replaced perhaps with a new stop
over Uxbridge Road to intersect directly with the West London Tram). I
go past it every day and there is nothing on that triangular site.

This looks a lot more feasible, and would go some way towards
alleviating the joint-up-transport desert that is West London. What's
the building currently in the middle of the triangle?
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl...3,0.003642&t=h

New interchange opportunities abound on the NLL (York Way for
Piccadilly Line, a proper link at Hackney Central/Downs, a Met Line
link-up at West Hampstead) but I think this is the best of the lot. It
would create an enormous range of new travel options and crucially link
Startford International with Heathrow in 40 mins or so.

West Hampstead would be nice, if the local nimbies would go boil their
heads or similar - especially if Laing's proposal to provide Chiltern
platforms also went through. The York Way one stands no chance: too
many stops on the Picc there already, and a Cally Road interchange
would be as difficult as Camden.
http://local.google.co.uk/local?f=q&...14,0.04313&t=h

It's a shame that the lines that became LUL ignored the North London
Railway as a competitor rather than trying to interchange with it when
they were first built, but we're now stuck with the situation. Equally,
NLL trains are packed well over capacity in the peaks as it is - maybe
we should see what effect Ken's planned upgrades have before we
increase passenger flow further...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old March 1st 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In uk.railway John B wrote:
This looks a lot more feasible, and would go some way towards
alleviating the joint-up-transport desert that is West London.

West London is a joined up transport panacea compared to what's
available in much of the rest of the country. In fact the current DfT
prodding of the rail network looks set to potentially remove the need
for joined up transport planning in many places in a couple of years
as there may not be any railway to join up to. :-(

Jim'll

Old March 2nd 06, 10:03 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John B" wrote in message
ups.com...

I've thought about this too, but I'm pretty cetain it
doesn't work. OK, so you re-orient the escalators
at Camden to point NE along Camden Road
towards the station.

I don't get what you mean about reorienting escalators. They aren't
swivelable.

I think the current NLL station entrance should be shut and a new one opened
up in the Kentish Town Road / Camden Street area. A second entrance to the
tube station would be near Buck Street.

Old March 3rd 06, 09:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
I've thought about this too, but I'm pretty cetain it
doesn't work. OK, so you re-orient the escalators
at Camden to point NE along Camden Road
towards the station.

I don't get what you mean about reorienting escalators. They aren't
swivelable.

"you dig new angled tunnels from the Tube platforms to the surface
pointing NE from the platforms instead of S, and put new escalators in
them".

I think the current NLL station entrance should be shut and a new one opened
up in the Kentish Town Road / Camden Street area. A second entrance to the
tube station would be near Buck Street.

Not a bad idea, although I think you might run into problems with
platform/bridge issues on the NLL.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org