Old February 14th 06, 03:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Silverlink Metro transfers to Tfl Nov 2007

KAS wrote:
one small point - how can the Branch qualify for TFL - its 50 miles from
london for heavens sake. surely make sense to electrify it !!!

Are you referring to to the Marston Vale Line? (Bedford to Bletchley)
one of the two routes which use Silverlink Metro stock, but will not
transfer to TfL??

Old February 14th 06, 03:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

KAS wrote:
re the Bedford-Bletchley branch
one small point - how can the Branch qualify for TFL - its 50 miles from
london for heavens sake. surely make sense to electrify it !!!

It's not going to be run by TfL, rather TfL are going to provide the
new franchisee (which will be whoever ends up with the current
Silverlink Country routes) with 150s for it. Or more likely given
previous discussions, a single 150 for it.

If you're going to electrify anything, the Goblin is a marginally less
silly candidate than Bedford-Bletchley. Still going to be hard to
justify, at least until oil hits $100 a barrel...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old February 14th 06, 04:49 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John Band" wrote

If you're going to electrify anything, the Goblin is a marginally less
silly candidate than Bedford-Bletchley. Still going to be hard to
justify, at least until oil hits $100 a barrel...

Can't justify electrifying Goblin for the passenger service, even if TfL
increase it to 4tph. But if the new port at Thames Haven goes ahead, it
would make a lot of sense to allow freight off the Tilbury line to run
electric-hauled through to the WCML without having to go via Stratford,
crossing the GEML on the level and using the most congested section
(Stratford - Camden Road) of the NLL.

Peter

Old February 14th 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Peter Masson" wrote in message

"John Band" wrote

If you're going to electrify anything, the Goblin is a marginally less
silly candidate than Bedford-Bletchley. Still going to be hard to
justify, at least until oil hits $100 a barrel...

Can't justify electrifying Goblin for the passenger service, even if TfL
increase it to 4tph. But if the new port at Thames Haven goes ahead, it
would make a lot of sense to allow freight off the Tilbury line to run
electric-hauled through to the WCML without having to go via Stratford,
crossing the GEML on the level and using the most congested section
(Stratford - Camden Road) of the NLL.

Peter

Gospel Oak station is really scary in the dark. Went that way from
Willesden Junction changing at Gospel Oak a few years back during a tube
strike. Only ever been on that line again in daylight since.

Old February 14th 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

d wrote:
313s, or if there's a shortage of them 321s are used.

Which are the ones that smell like sick?

It's probably the passengers on the North London line that stink of
sick, and various substances. It's one of the few lines where I'd
honestly say I would never dream of venturing near at night (or in the
dark) and I think I'm a man of the world that's quite streetwise.

I can't recall ever seeing a ticket check because any RPI would have to
go kitted out in full body armour - or carry their own weapons. And
this was my opinion long before the murder and the subsequent
revelation that the CCTV cameras are completely useless.

When I last used the service to go to ExCeL, the train waited at
Stratford and I saw kids jumping over the barriers and fencing to get
on the train and the staff just watched. What are they going to do,
even though they had oodles of time to radio for assistance (the train
stopped there for a few minutes).

Jonathan

Old February 14th 06, 08:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"jonmorris" wrote in message
oups.com...

When I last used the service to go to ExCeL, the train
waited at Stratford and I saw kids jumping over the
barriers and fencing to get on the train and the staff just watched.

... rather than challenge them to a dual?

Old February 14th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
.. rather than challenge them to a dual?

Well, quite. I was just amazed that this was in the middle of the day -
in full view of everyone, including the guard on the Silverlink train
no doubt.

The fact is that the staff wouldn't dare approach these people, so they
get away with it (and we wonder why crime on the train network has shot
up - and that's even with most people probably not reporting incidents,
such as this example).

Any one of them could have called BTP, but I'm not naive to think they
would have been interested. Wagn's policy is to let people off if they
look like they will cause trouble. If there's a group, you must give
them a warning with a threat of action next time (that is meaningless
if you don't get any details). In other words, they get away with it
and it's no bloody wonder that it gets worse - as they tell their mates
how easy it is.

Yes, I suppose I'm annoyed that they're getting their travel for free
when I pay £2.5k a year, but there's more to it. These people make our
lives a misery, and they cause no end of damage to the trains, which
costs me even more. I like to think that they do get caught every now
and then, but you read in the paper what pathetic fines are dished out
to fare evaders in court and you wonder why they bother.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I think it will be a good thing to
/effectively/ turn the North London line into a tube line. Considering
it's been on the tube maps for ages, yet I know plenty of people that
barely recognise its existence, let alone use it.

Jonathan

Old February 14th 06, 09:24 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote in
message
"jonmorris" wrote in message
oups.com...

When I last used the service to go to ExCeL, the train
waited at Stratford and I saw kids jumping over the
barriers and fencing to get on the train and the staff just watched.

.. rather than challenge them to a dual?

.... or even a duel

Old February 14th 06, 09:27 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Simon Wren" wrote in message
Paul Scott wrote:

http://www.gnn.gov.uk/environment/fu...eID=187553&New
sAreaID=2&NavigatedFromDepartment=False

The new concessionaire will have to release stock for two routes not
being transferred - what are these?

Paul

And to see TFL's positive plans for these valuable routes:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=690

--
Simon

Interesting that they say that they are going to bring in Oyster on all
services. How will this work to Watford Junc.
Could I get off Silverlink County and swipe through the oyster card?
How does it work on other shared lines like Barking or Upminster.

Kevin

Old February 14th 06, 09:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Mizter T wrote:
Simon Wren wrote:

Paul Scott wrote:

http://www.gnn.gov.uk/environment/fu...eID=187553&New
sAreaID=2&NavigatedFromDepartment=False

The new concessionaire will have to release stock for two routes not
being transferred - what are these?

Paul

And to see TFL's positive plans for these valuable routes:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-cent...t.asp?prID=690

This sounds like great news. Using the North London Line can be
depressing. The trains are squalid and it's quite clear that Silverlink
couldn't give a damn. The line is interesting from a railway point of
view, but as a passenger it's certainly not a great travelling
experience.

The fact that Tube stations are staffed and are generally friendly and
welcoming places, as opposed to many railway stations, really makes a
difference to how people choose to travel, particularly in the
evenings/after dark. TfL's plans staff stations, or staff them later,
along with a proactive attitude to custodianship of stations and trains
will really make a difference I'm sure.

I doubt the NLL will ever make a profit, but thankfully that's not the
objective of the Mayor. I look forward to TfL's further involvement in
London's railways.

So does this all mean that TfL simply takes over the existing
franchise, with 313s and 508s still going Euston to Watford and
Bakerloo still going from Queens Park to Harrow?

That's not quite in line with previous discussion of the Bakerloo
taking over the Watford service.

I had visions of maybe relaying the fourth rail to Watford, and (less
likely) keeping a service to South Hampsted and Kilburn High Road by
installing a connection east of Queens Park, allowing trains from
Euston to call at those stations, then use the unused platforms at
Queens Park to allow for interchange, and then proceed semifast to
Watford or beyond.