Old February 16th 06, 05:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Chingford line frequency

A colleague of mine lives near the Liverpool Street to Chingford branch,
and is under the impression that the service has recently increased from
2tph to 4tph. He comments that the trains were previously half empty and
are now three quarters empty.

Is he correct about the increase? If so, does anyone know why One made
this rather drastic change (assuming my colleague is right about the

Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old February 16th 06, 09:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote in message
A colleague of mine lives near the Liverpool Street to Chingford branch,
and is under the impression that the service has recently increased from
2tph to 4tph. He comments that the trains were previously half empty and
are now three quarters empty.

Is he correct about the increase? If so, does anyone know why One made
this rather drastic change (assuming my colleague is right about the

It's been 4tph Mondays to Fridays for quite a time, and IIRC it's never been
less than 3tph. Saturdays has recently iuncreased from 3tph to 4tph, and
Sundays from 2tph to 4tph, presumably as part of TfL's 'Overground Network'
scheme. Are TfL subsidising the increased weekend frequency?

Before the Victoria Line was opened the line had 9tph in the peaks.

Peter

Old February 16th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Clive D. W. Feather" wrote:

A colleague of mine lives near the Liverpool Street to Chingford branch,
and is under the impression that the service has recently increased from
2tph to 4tph. He comments that the trains were previously half empty and
are now three quarters empty.

IMX the Chingford branch has never loaded very well, off-peak, between
Liverpool Street and Walthamstow Central. Often it loads better
Walthamstow - Chingford because of the interchange with the Victoria line at
the former, which draws away traffic to and from the West End.

Chris

Old February 17th 06, 06:39 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Peter Masson wrote:

"It's been 4tph Mondays to Fridays for quite a time, and IIRC it's
never been
less than 3tph. Saturdays has recently iuncreased from 3tph to 4tph,
and
Sundays from 2tph to 4tph, presumably as part of TfL's 'Overground
Network'
scheme. Are TfL subsidising the increased weekend frequency?"

Before the December timetable change there were only 2tph in the
evenings Monday to Friday. Saturday evenings were also 2tph. Sunday
evenings are still only 2tph.

Barry Buitekant

Old February 17th 06, 06:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

I use the Liverpool Street to Clapton stretch quite often in the
evening and from my observations it does load very well. Perhaps our
definition of what loads very well differs?

Barry

Old February 17th 06, 08:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
oups.com...
I use the Liverpool Street to Clapton stretch quite often in the
evening and from my observations it does load very well. Perhaps our
definition of what loads very well differs?

The GER took a passenger census in 1920 when they were planning the 'Jazz'
service. On the census day, the 6.5 pm Chingford train left Liverpool Street
with 1241 passengers, and even allowing for those who had alighted, left
Hackney Downs with 1442. Only 106 were left on the train after Wood Street.
By my definition that's a lot more than loading well, especially as the
train seems to have consisted of 16 four-wheeled coaches.

Peter

Old February 17th 06, 03:28 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , Mike Bristow
writes
A press release announcing the change to a 15 minute frequency,
dated 20051129:

http://www.onerailway.com/latestinfo...lay.asp?id=845

A brief search didn't find that.

Thanks for this and all the other responses.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old February 17th 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:21:59 +0000, "Clive D. W. Feather"
wrote:

A colleague of mine lives near the Liverpool Street to Chingford branch,
and is under the impression that the service has recently increased from
2tph to 4tph. He comments that the trains were previously half empty and
are now three quarters empty.

Is he correct about the increase? If so, does anyone know why One made
this rather drastic change (assuming my colleague is right about the

Having looked at the timetable the increase is as he describes. I have
to say I had not noticed and yet I go through Walthamstow Central every
day. The improvements such as the 15 min evening service and late trains
until 0100 are all good ideas. There is, of course, no change for M-F
peaks and daytimes except that the AM peak service to Chingford was x30
to allow 2 trains an hour to run back empty to provide the x15 service
to Liverpool St. Nice to see Saturday services back to x15 after being
hacked back to x20 when One took over.

I see from other posts that the actual implementation has been a farce.
I don't use the line very much but the improvements are a good idea -
shame they are now delayed for the best of a year due to One's
incompetence. The line can be quite busy as it provides an important
link in Waltham Forest and the Clapton / Hackney Downs stops do
reasonably well. This sort of turn up and go service coupled with a very
limited Oyster Pre-Pay availability (from W'Stow) should generate more
traffic.

As an aside I looked at the service on other Lea Valley routes and it
seems that Bethnal Green, Cambridge Heath and London Fields have all
gained a much improved weekend and evening service and also a more
balance peak / off peak service. Again trains typically every 15 minutes
as opposed to no service at times or just x30. I am pleased to see that
there is another attempt to provide a decent service from these stations
following the failure of the last initiative (Jazz Train?) back in the
80s under BR and the GLC?

--
Paul C