Old August 16th 07, 09:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default chingford line trains

I believe these trains are based at Ilford does this mean that at the
start of service they have to come into Liverpool street and out to
cross the lines to get to the chingford side. where does this happen ?

Old August 16th 07, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Martyn Dawe" wrote
I believe these trains are based at Ilford does this mean that at
the
start of service they have to come into Liverpool street and out to
cross the lines to get to the chingford side. where does this
happen ?

At Liverpool Street, platforms 1 to 4 are accessible from/to the
suburban lines only, platforms 5 to 10 suburbans or mains, 11 & 12
mains only, 13 & 14 mains or 'electrics', 15 to 18 'electric' lines
only. There are various places trains can cross e.g. around Bethnal
Green, or between the electric and the main lines further out.

Old August 16th 07, 05:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 16 Aug, 17:11, "John Salmon" wrote:
"Martyn Dawe" wrote

I believe these trains are based at Ilford does this mean that at
the
start of service they have to come into Liverpool street and out to
cross the lines to get to the chingford side. where does this
happen ?

At Liverpool Street, platforms 1 to 4 are accessible from/to the
suburban lines only, platforms 5 to 10 suburbans or mains, 11 & 12
mains only, 13 & 14 mains or 'electrics', 15 to 18 'electric' lines
only. There are various places trains can cross e.g. around Bethnal
Green, or between the electric and the main lines further out.

While allocated to Ilford Depot for maintenance purposes, the stock
used on the Chingford line would generally be stabled at Chingford
Carriage Sidings - must be space for a few dozen units there. Same as
stock stabled at, for example, Bishops Stortford would form early/late
trains on the Cambridge line. The diagramming of the stock on the
'One' netwrok is such that many units do swap routes during the day
and may well end up at a different stabling location.

As John says there are various crossovers between Liverpool Street and
Bethnal Green (and at Hackney, Stratford etc) that allow a train to
depart/arrive any platform at Liverpool Street to/from any
destination. Obviously it would cause chaos on the approaches if you
tried to bring a Southend line train into platform 2, or send an
Enfield out from platform 16 in the daytime, so trains generally
depart from the platform groupings in John's post.

However, until around 1980-something, the west side of Liverpool
Street (platforms 1-8) was closed on Sundays IIRC. All trains then
used the long mainline platforms 9/10 (as was) or the east side
platforms 11-18. Occasionally now even during late-night or Sunday
engineering work Chingford trains might depart from east side
platforms, generally 11/12/13 to minimise conflicts.

Old August 16th 07, 07:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Q Q is offline

"Uriah" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

There is quite a few stabled at CHI CS as most of the people I know all book
on there, and take there units from there. As for diagramming 'oddities'
there are a few (Less than pre December 2006) but every now and again we get
a Stansted set to places like Enfield and still a few 317's

Also when LER (I don't like to call them 'one') took over a few years back
they said and I quote "All CHI & ENF diagramming would only ever be formed
of 315's" - Like so many other things this has not happened (Although we see
more 315's on the Enfield's now than before)

As John says there are various crossovers between Liverpool Street and
Bethnal Green (and at Hackney, Stratford etc) that allow a train to
depart/arrive any platform at Liverpool Street to/from any
destination. Obviously it would cause chaos on the approaches if you
tried to bring a Southend line train into platform 2, or send an
Enfield out from platform 16 in the daytime, so trains generally
depart from the platform groupings in John's post.

Indeed, but we have ongoing problems at Bethnal Green North Jn where trains
coming off the Up fast always hold the ARS off and delay anything coming off
the up suburban. This causes the most delays in the morning's and is all
down to the wonderfull planners when he had our big time table shake up.
(They did dumb things like path a CHI-LST 1 min infront of an ENF-LST at BET
North and wonder why *both* trains end up late at LST And added an extra 4
mins onto an ENF-LST and wonder why we run early and then have to sit and
wait at SVS & HAC.

However, until around 1980-something, the west side of Liverpool
Street (platforms 1-8) was closed on Sundays IIRC. All trains then
used the long mainline platforms 9/10 (as was) or the east side
platforms 11-18. Occasionally now even during late-night or Sunday
engineering work Chingford trains might depart from east side
platforms, generally 11/12/13 to minimise conflicts.

There's a couple of odd paths in the evening's where an Enfield for example
will leave on the down main run as far as Bethnal Green West and the wriggle
back over to the suburban's to call at BET.

I can't recall the plan when the Bishops Gate Tunnel is closed.

And we still have 317 moves between Navarino Rd Jn, NLL, and Hornsey - this
is specially fun if/when the NLL is broken.

Old August 17th 07, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Aug 16, 12:46 pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

And we still have 317 moves between Navarino Rd Jn, NLL, and Hornsey - this
is specially fun if/when the NLL is broken.

You do ?

Why ?

Surely those moves ceased in the first timetable change (or around
that time) after FCC took over from WAGN and Ilford gained a 317
allocation - since when Hornsey 317s only work FCC and Ilford 317s
only work on ONE. There were ECS moves before that in WAGN days - when
ONE 317s were still Hornsey based. But why are there any now ? Surely
Hornsey has ceased ONE 317s maintenance since FCC allocated 319s
there.

--
Nick

Old August 18th 07, 12:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

On Aug 17, 9:02 pm, D7666 wrote:
On Aug 16, 12:46 pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

And we still have 317 moves between Navarino Rd Jn, NLL, and Hornsey - this
is specially fun if/when the NLL is broken.

You do ?

Why ?

Surely those moves ceased in the first timetable change (or around
that time) after FCC took over from WAGN and Ilford gained a 317
allocation - since when Hornsey 317s only work FCC and Ilford 317s
only work on ONE. There were ECS moves before that in WAGN days - when
ONE 317s were still Hornsey based. But why are there any now ? Surely
Hornsey has ceased ONE 317s maintenance since FCC allocated 319s
there.

The original question would have been more interesting when Chingford
line trains were maintained at Hornsey (if they really were, when
"allocated" there).

Old August 18th 07, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Q Q is offline

"D7666" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 16, 12:46 pm, "Q" ..@.. wrote:

And we still have 317 moves between Navarino Rd Jn, NLL, and Hornsey -
this
is specially fun if/when the NLL is broken.

You do ?

Why ?

Surely those moves ceased in the first timetable change (or around
that time) after FCC took over from WAGN and Ilford gained a 317
allocation - since when Hornsey 317s only work FCC and Ilford 317s
only work on ONE. There were ECS moves before that in WAGN days - when
ONE 317s were still Hornsey based. But why are there any now ? Surely
Hornsey has ceased ONE 317s maintenance since FCC allocated 319s
there.

--
Nick

True, there not like they use to be - but if memory serves there are still a
couple. I normally always pass one waiting to join the suburban's in the
afternoon. And last time I was anywhere near Hornsey there was a Stansted
liveried 317 parked up. I'll enquire next week anyway.

Old August 18th 07, 01:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Q Q is offline

"MIG" wrote in message
ups.com...
Snip
The original question would have been more interesting when Chingford
line trains were maintained at Hornsey (if they really were, when
"allocated" there).

I don't remember 315 going to Hornsey, only 317's.

Old August 18th 07, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Q wrote:
"MIG" wrote in message
ups.com...
Snip
The original question would have been more interesting when Chingford
line trains were maintained at Hornsey (if they really were, when
"allocated" there).

I don't remember 315 going to Hornsey, only 317's.

The West Anglia batch were all allocated to Hornsey and it was quite common
to pass the depot on the main line and see WAGN and Silverlink 313s, 315s,
317s, the occasional Silverlink 321, 322s and 365s on the depot.

Old August 18th 07, 02:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Q Q is offline

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
Q wrote:
"MIG" wrote in message
ups.com...
Snip
The original question would have been more interesting when Chingford
line trains were maintained at Hornsey (if they really were, when
"allocated" there).

I don't remember 315 going to Hornsey, only 317's.

The West Anglia batch were all allocated to Hornsey and it was quite
common to pass the depot on the main line and see WAGN and Silverlink
313s, 315s, 317s, the occasional Silverlink 321, 322s and 365s on the
depot.

That sounds right now I think about it. I remember seeing odd silverlink
stock knocking about down there, I think there was a 321 in last time I went
past (months ago).

Is there any plans to re-open Coronation Sidings come to think of it ? Every
9 months a gang go in to 'de-shrub' the area to stop the OLE finding a nice
path to ground, and the temporary lights are back again on the far road. The
north end access is still blocked[1] but the south end was open again.

And on a whole other tangent - LER have just put out to tender for new
carriage washers (Although I can't remember where for)

[1] Not only is there a stop sign at the gates but the spur off the Bounds
Green yard road is hidden under some quite big bushes, and shrubs again!