Old March 2nd 06, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Some Questions - can anyone help me here, please?

I have some burning questions which I hope the fount of knowledge on
uk.transport.london can help me with (and your answers will be very
gratefully received). If there are any internet resources which would point
me in the right direction, any suggestions would be fantastic.

Basically, I spent seven years commuting from SE London into Charing X until
I changed jobs in October, resulting in a different commute. I now travel
on SET to London Bridge, take the Jubilee to Bond Street and then the
Central Line to Hanger Lane.

Being interested in transport in general, but railway systems in particular,
my curiosity needs satisfaction!

So, here goes...

1. It seems to me that the Central Line trains are pretty quick compared to
the Jubilee. Am I correct, and if so what is the reason for this?

2. There is quite a network of Tube lines around the Hanger Lane area, but
nothing is "joined up". For example, there is Hanger Lane on the Central,
Park Royal on the Piccadilly and Neasden on the Jubilee, but no local
interchange. Has there never been any economic reason to do this? Would
joining them up improve the links and improve the local economy?

3. Parallel to Hanger Lane and North Acton there is a railway line, which I
suspect is a Goods Line given that I never see any passenger traffic. Where
does this go from and to, and does it ever get used????

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Iain

--
Iain Ambler

Old March 2nd 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006 20:42:01 +0000 (UTC), "Iain P. Ambler"
wrote:

I have some burning questions which I hope the fount of knowledge on
uk.transport.london can help me with (and your answers will be very
gratefully received). If there are any internet resources which would point
me in the right direction, any suggestions would be fantastic.

Basically, I spent seven years commuting from SE London into Charing X until
I changed jobs in October, resulting in a different commute. I now travel
on SET to London Bridge, take the Jubilee to Bond Street and then the
Central Line to Hanger Lane.

Being interested in transport in general, but railway systems in particular,
my curiosity needs satisfaction!

So, here goes...

1. It seems to me that the Central Line trains are pretty quick compared to
the Jubilee. Am I correct, and if so what is the reason for this?

The Central Line trains operate in automatic mode and have had enhanced
braking and acceleration switched on as a result. The Northern and
Jubilee stocks are capable of having the same thing done when they get
automatic train operation as part of their line upgrade. The computer
system can provide more consistent and accurate "driving" than a human
being can which raises line capacity.

2. There is quite a network of Tube lines around the Hanger Lane area, but
nothing is "joined up". For example, there is Hanger Lane on the Central,
Park Royal on the Piccadilly and Neasden on the Jubilee, but no local
interchange. Has there never been any economic reason to do this? Would
joining them up improve the links and improve the local economy?

The reason for the set up is simply the old one of the historical
railway company development and competition. Much has been mooted over
the years about trying to build a new station on the Central Line.

More info on this link http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/33

3. Parallel to Hanger Lane and North Acton there is a railway line, which I
suspect is a Goods Line given that I never see any passenger traffic. Where
does this go from and to, and does it ever get used????

This is the South Ruislip to Paddington line which allows Chiltern Line
trains to divert to Paddington instead of Marylebone. It runs down to
Old Oak Common from where there is also access on to the West London
Line. I believe there is also a link at Greenford onto the line to West
Ealing and then GWML. I believe freight trains do use the route but
others will know for certain.

There is a M-F but not Wednesdays! return train from Princes Risborough
to Paddington. Runs late morning (11.28) from PR and returns from
Paddington at 12.55. In the past trains have diverted to Paddington
during periods of engineering work at Marylebone.

HTH

--
Paul C

Old March 3rd 06, 04:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2 Mar 2006 15:30:17 -0800, "TheOneKEA" wrote:

There is a M-F but not Wednesdays! return train from Princes Risborough
to Paddington. Runs late morning (11.28) from PR and returns from
Paddington at 12.55. In the past trains have diverted to Paddington
during periods of engineering work at Marylebone.

I once heard that the train does not run on Wednesdays because that is
the day that NR are patrolling the track!

ISTR reading that it's because there's a once-a-week freight that runs
at that time...
Old March 3rd 06, 04:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:28:40 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote:

2. There is quite a network of Tube lines around the Hanger Lane area, but
nothing is "joined up". For example, there is Hanger Lane on the Central,
Park Royal on the Piccadilly and Neasden on the Jubilee, but no local
interchange. Has there never been any economic reason to do this? Would
joining them up improve the links and improve the local economy?

The reason for the set up is simply the old one of the historical
railway company development and competition. Much has been mooted over
the years about trying to build a new station on the Central Line.

More info on this link http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/33

Nothing's been mentioned about this for a long time. Is it still in
the pipeline somewhere? Or dead in the water?

IIRC there was (at least at one time) an incentive for it to be built
quickly, as building part of the business park was conditional on the
station being open...
Old March 3rd 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[...]

As far as I know it's still alive. They applied for planning
permission for the station 2 or 3 years ago, and presumably got it.

But they're not building the rest of the business park until they get
tenants for each building, and they aren't forthcoming. Instead,
they're building an excessive amount of housing at the other end of
the site. Since planning permission for the housing is not dependent
on building the station, it isn't being built yet.

Colin McKenzie