Old March 6th 06, 11:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Vote for Beck's Tube Map in the Great British Design Quest

Rev. CMOT TMPV wrote:
Once upon a time -- around about 3/6/06 19:10 --
possibly wrote:

John Rowland wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/cultureshow/designquest/vote/

Personally, I can't get excited about a quest for a Great British
Design where one of the three finalists is an Anglo-French design
that wasn't particularly successful but looked nice.

It's a design competition, looking nice is the whole point.

Er, no. That's not the whole point of "design".

And as much as I love the Tube, Concorde's design is one of the
most amazing designs ever. I have to vote for her.

Hmm. Most fatalities per million flights of any recent airliner.
--
Richard J.

Old March 7th 06, 12:07 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 6 Mar 2006 12:15:29 -0800, "allan tracy"
wrote:

Chris Read wrote:
Shirley Concorde is only half British?

The engines were British designed and built.

The rest (with the exception of the name), which is just the container
the engines come in, was jointly designed and built with the French.

The name was 100% designed and built by the French.

87.5% of the name was jointly designed and built; the final 12.5% was
100% added by the French

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com
Old March 7th 06, 08:39 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
Rev. CMOT TMPV wrote:
It's a design competition, looking nice is the whole point.

Er, no. That's not the whole point of "design".

Richard's right. Proper design is about functionality as much as
anything else. "Looking nice" is styling and image. You do have to
design your style, though!

PhilD

Old March 7th 06, 10:55 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:

John Rowland wrote:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/cultureshow/designquest/vote/

Personally, I can't get excited about a quest for a Great British Design
where one of the three finalists is an Anglo-French design that wasn't
particularly successful but looked nice. If an LU-related design is to
be chosen, it ought to be Edward Johnston's Underground typeface, but
instead we had the derivative Verdana font on the original list.

I've voted for the Spitfire - greater design skill, greater impact on
British life.

And RJ Mitchell, the Spitfire's designer, was an apprentice with Loco
builders Kerr Stuart :-)

Andy

Old March 7th 06, 05:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article , John Rowland
writes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/cultureshow/designquest/vote/

Ah, so *that's* why Radio Cambridgeshire asked me to be on their morning
show at 10 minutes notice last Friday.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:

Old March 17th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

The results are now in...