Old March 11th 06, 06:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Curious Tube map on BBC story

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 18:51:03 -0000, "Brian Watson"
wrote:

"M J Forbes" wrote in message
The rearrangement around Paddingtion is for Crossrail which appears in
2016:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...t-onthemap.pdf

And also includes the West London Transit system, which brings the total
number of stations in Acton to 8 (North, South, East, West, Central, Town,
Vale, and just plain "Acton"). Not bad, considering it's about a quarter
of the size of Portsmouth (rough guess by playing with a map and a ruler),
which has 4 ....

Also, I know we're getting the Olympics but there looks like a HUGE amount
of rail track is to be added east of the Metrollops.

Some of it'll be over old routes, I suppose, but that which is proposed
around Ilford and Barking looks likely to cause some major disturbance
whether it goes on stilts or cut 'n cover.

The "transit" schemes were possibly going to be light rail but the
latest consultation documents show them as bus routes with fairly high
levels of segregation. Therefore no need for tunnels or stilts.
--
Paul C

Old March 12th 06, 06:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

... I know we're getting the Olympics but there looks like a HUGE amount
of rail track is to be added east of the Metrollops.

Some of it'll be over old routes, I suppose, but that which is proposed
around Ilford and Barking looks likely to cause some major disturbance
whether it goes on stilts or cut 'n cover.

The "transit" schemes were possibly going to be light rail but the
latest consultation documents show them as bus routes with fairly high
levels of segregation. Therefore no need for tunnels or stilts.

Ah, that makes much more sense, though it will increase journey times
considerably even with Ken's finest efforts of Red Lining the routes.

--
Brian

Old March 13th 06, 12:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Is this the end of the NLL running to North Woolwich?

Old March 13th 06, 01:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

THC wrote:
M J Forbes wrote:
The rearrangement around Paddingtion is for Crossrail which appears in
2016:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/downloads/...t-onthemap.pdf

And also includes the West London Transit system, which brings the total
number of stations in Acton to 8 (North, South, East, West, Central, Town,
Vale, and just plain "Acton"). Not bad, considering it's about a quarter of
the size of Portsmouth (rough guess by playing with a map and a ruler),
which has 4 ....

Greater Acton (for want of a better name for it because great it ain't)
and surrounding areas served by these stations probably has as many
people within its range (i.e. large chunks of LB Ealing, LB Hammersmith
& Fulham, parts of LB Brent and LB Hounslow) as Portsmouth, which had
187,000 souls at the 2001 census. You also have to factor in Acton's
proximity to two of the largest net employment hubs in the country;
those in LB Hillingdon (Heathrow Airport and supply chain/ancillary
industry) and LB Hammersmith and Fulham (e.g. BBC and agglomerative
media industries, Westfield development at White City) and its location
on key radial travel routes (Central, Piccadilly, District lines) to
understand why it is so well served for rail-based public transport.
Anyway, it has only six stations ATM, not that I'm splitting hairs or
anything.

Whereas AIUI Portsmouth is at the "end of the line" and of no
particular strategic importance in the current clime. Nor is it home
to several of the ruling administration's favourite MPs, as is the part
of West London you describe. Umm, hold on, we may be onto something
here... ;-)

I can't help but feel that you are doing Pompey a dis-service. It
hasn't got much, but what it has got is of strategic importance, given
that a substantial protion of our navy is based there. Strategic is
about the only thing it has got.

Robin
Old March 13th 06, 04:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 01:04:45 -0000, "Tuggers"
wrote:

Is this the end of the NLL running to North Woolwich?

Closure proceedings are under way now. There are posters all over the
place asking for comments to go back to the DfT as part of the official
process for closing the line south of Stratford. If granted the DLR will
take over that section. Personally I think it is a good idea provided
that the DLR definitely goes ahead and there is the much promised
improvement to the rest of the North London Line (and associated lines).
--
Paul C