Old March 17th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Watford Jnct Ticketing - Southern/Silverlink

Quick question regarding ticketing from Watford Junction.

The other day I wanted to get to South Kensington from Watford
Junction. TFL suggested taking a Southern service to West Brompton and
District to South Ken. which I did.

Price for a return £5.10 ... BUT, I wasn't sure that I would be
finished early enough to get a Southern train back so to cover myself I
bought a normal £7.10 Watford - London Terminals cd return.

In the end I did take the Southern service both ways - was that allowed
on my ticket?

Also why does the Southern train, stop and turn all it's power off
somewhere around Paddington?

And has anyone noticed that Croxley and Watford West have turned up on
the Silverlink maps in the trains? Have they been there for a while
(listing the infrequent bus service) or is this in preperation for a
train service to resume?

Thanks in advance.

mmlabbd

Old March 17th 06, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

mmlabbd wrote:

Also why does the Southern train, stop and turn all it's power off
somewhere around Paddington?

It's actually near Mitre Bridge Junction, just south of the Great
Western Main Line near Wormwood Scrubs (not very near to Paddington).
The reason is to change between 25kV AC overhead and 750V DC third rail.
With the trains that Southern and Silverlink have, it's apparently not
possible to do this on the move, as Eurostar does.
--
Richard J.

Old March 17th 06, 10:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

mmlabbd wrote:
Quick question regarding ticketing from Watford Junction.

The other day I wanted to get to South Kensington from Watford
Junction. TFL suggested taking a Southern service to West Brompton and
District to South Ken. which I did.

Price for a return £5.10 ... BUT, I wasn't sure that I would be
finished early enough to get a Southern train back so to cover myself I
bought a normal £7.10 Watford - London Terminals cd return.

In the end I did take the Southern service both ways - was that allowed
on my ticket?

I wouldn't have thought so, not in either direction

Also why does the Southern train, stop and turn all it's power off
somewhere around Paddington?

It's changing between third rail and overhead power supply

And has anyone noticed that Croxley and Watford West have turned up on
the Silverlink maps in the trains? Have they been there for a while
(listing the infrequent bus service) or is this in preperation for a
train service to resume?

Don't know - were they ever removed?

Thanks in advance.

mmlabbd

Old March 18th 06, 01:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Mar 2006 14:33:06 -0800, "mmlabbd"
wrote:

Quick question regarding ticketing from Watford Junction.

The other day I wanted to get to South Kensington from Watford
Junction. TFL suggested taking a Southern service to West Brompton and
District to South Ken. which I did.

Price for a return £5.10 ... BUT, I wasn't sure that I would be
finished early enough to get a Southern train back so to cover myself I
bought a normal £7.10 Watford - London Terminals cd return.

In the end I did take the Southern service both ways - was that allowed
on my ticket?

A Watford Junction to London Terminals ticket is not, by any stretch
of the imagination, valid on the District Line to South Kensington.

I'm surprised the barriers (or staff) at South Ken let you through.

And has anyone noticed that Croxley and Watford West have turned up on
the Silverlink maps in the trains? Have they been there for a while
(listing the infrequent bus service) or is this in preperation for a
train service to resume?

The bus service hasn't run for several years now. The map you saw was
simply out of date.

(About 6-12 months ago I was on a Silverlink Metro train that had a
line map so old, West Brompton was missing...)