Old September 11th 03, 10:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Silverlink trains

I've read that some of the Silverlink Metro trains are going to be used
to run Silverlink Country services. Are the metro trains fast enough?
And are there any other things which might cause problems?

--
message by Robin May, founder of International Boyism
"Would Inspector Sands please go to the Operations Room immediately."

Unofficially immune to hangovers.

Old September 11th 03, 10:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message
I've read that some of the Silverlink Metro trains are going to be used
to run Silverlink Country services. Are the metro trains fast enough?
And are there any other things which might cause problems?

Famous old proverb. "A second class ride is better than a first class walk."

Does the speed matter?
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
http://www.omnibussoc.org

Old September 11th 03, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Sep 2003 21:32:35 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

I've read that some of the Silverlink Metro trains are going to be used
to run Silverlink Country services. Are the metro trains fast enough?

70-75mph probably suffices on the rather quiet slows (313s do the
former, 150s the latter but with inferior acceleration). After all,
there aren't many trains on there which could get in the way with a
half-hourly all-stations stopper...

And are there any other things which might cause problems?

Lack of capacity, hard seats and no bogs (in the 313s), but
something's better than nothing - and I'm quite pleased to see some
initiative is being used rather than just giving up and going home...

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.
Old September 11th 03, 11:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Terry Harper" wrote the following in:

"Robin May" wrote in message
I've read that some of the Silverlink Metro trains are going to
be used to run Silverlink Country services. Are the metro trains
fast enough? And are there any other things which might cause
problems?

Famous old proverb. "A second class ride is better than a first
class walk."

Does the speed matter?

Well, I was just interested. I do feel a bit sorry for the passengers
because the Silverlink metro trains (or at least the North London Line
ones) are really grotty.

Old September 12th 03, 01:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message
I've read that some of the Silverlink Metro trains are going to be used
to run Silverlink Country services.

Plan for Silverlink Metro and COUNTY service is:

Willesden Junction to Clapham Junction Metro service reduced to one train
an hour, releasing one Class 313 dual-voltage unit.

Euston to Watford Junction Metro service cut back to a Harrow and Wealdstone
to Watford Junction shuttle, using the three d.c.-only Class 508s and
freeing up more Class 313s.

Additional Class 313s to be loaned in by WAGN.

Half-hourly Euston to MKC County service, worked by 6-car 313s. All
stations, fast Euston - Bushey (and v-v).

MKC to Northampton County service to be worked by Class 150 diesel units.

Old September 12th 03, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message
I've read that some of the Silverlink Metro trains are going to be used
to run Silverlink Country services. Are the metro trains fast enough?
And are there any other things which might cause problems?

--

I live next to the Barking - Gospel Oak line and noticed there were no
trains at all this morning "revving" past.

Got to Walthamstow Central this morning and sign saying "No service
Gosp.Oak - Barking", not sure about the North London Line.

There has been a disrupted service anyway for the last few weeks due to an
unsafe bridge in Wanstead. Maybe they'll be able to sort that while there
is no service.

Old September 12th 03, 09:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Neil Williams wrote:
Lack of capacity, hard seats and no bogs (in the 313s), but
something's better than nothing - and I'm quite pleased to see some
initiative is being used rather than just giving up and going home...

Trouble is, they've shut the Goblin down completly.

Mike

--
Good night little fishey-wishes.... I've counted you, so no
sneaky eating each other.

Old September 12th 03, 10:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mike Bristow wrote the following in:

In article ,
Neil Williams wrote:
Lack of capacity, hard seats and no bogs (in the 313s), but
something's better than nothing - and I'm quite pleased to see
some initiative is being used rather than just giving up and
going home...

Trouble is, they've shut the Goblin down completly.

What's the Goblin?

Old September 12th 03, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 12 Sep 2003 09:32:59 GMT, Robin May
wrote:

What's the Goblin?

Gospel Oak to Barking LINe.

Neil

Old September 12th 03, 05:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"simon" wrote in message ...
"Robin May" wrote in message
I've read that some of the Silverlink Metro trains are going to be used
to run Silverlink Country services. Are the metro trains fast enough?
And are there any other things which might cause problems?

--

I live next to the Barking - Gospel Oak line and noticed there were no
trains at all this morning "revving" past.

Got to Walthamstow Central this morning and sign saying "No service
Gosp.Oak - Barking", not sure about the North London Line.

There has been a disrupted service anyway for the last few weeks due to an
unsafe bridge in Wanstead. Maybe they'll be able to sort that while there
is no service.

The pulling of the Barking-Gospel Oak is annoyingly similar to what
happens when there's disruption on the ECML in the bit that's
duplicated by the Hertford Loop. Because ECML traffic is deemed more
important and the Hertford Loop doesn't have the power or signalling
capacity, local trains get withdrawn.

I know that ther are alternatives, but it's a pain.