Old April 14th 06, 02:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default An unknown 19th Cent railway

wrote:

I'm in correspondence with a distant relative about family history and
the following comment has been made to me:-

'Our Great Great Grandpa was James Occomore who was born in Nether
Wallop Hants in 1918*. He worked on the railway , one census shows him
as a ticket clerk and the later on, a " Traveller (L.H.U. Railway)
Goods" ( On the census the enumerator has struck through the letter U,
so it could be N, H or M) Does this mean anything to you? I have tried
searching for this Line, I expect it has long since been swallowed up!
He lived at 7 Chumleigh St Camberwell. This is near the Surrey
Canal(Now culverted!)'

I hadn't realised the Surrey Canal had been culverted - I thought it was
simply filled in. How much of it was culverted?

*typo, I think for 1818

The letters L.H.U. mean nothing to me in railway terms - can anyone
think of a 19th century railway in the London area that might be being
referred to? Personally, I think the enumerator either got things
wrong, or was referring to something else.

I can't, but someone in uk.transport.london might know, so I've
crossposted.

[For the benefit of utl readers, it was the 1881 census, and others have
suggested "London and North Western" and "London, Hendon and Harrow"]

--
Aidan Stanger
http://www.bettercrossrail.co.uk

Old April 14th 06, 09:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Aidan Stanger wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Could be LHM? As an abbreviation for Lewisham rather than the name of a
railway but not too far from Camberwell.

London and South (or North) Western
London Chatham and Dover
London Brighton and South Coast
all require letters to be wrong to work